• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

California 1400 hanging throttle

My Eldorado started exhibiting symptoms of this problem about a month ago. I tried going through this thread as best as I could, to try to see if anybody actually found a highly common link to the source of this. I don't have enough patience to read this whole thread start to finish, but tried to pick up enough on actual efforts made to solve this problem. Several mentions of bad clutch switches led me to test mine, on both contacts, with an ohm meter, which tested good. MotorGoose's post about replacing a cylinder head caught my attention. My bike was due for a valve adjustment anyway, so I went ahead and did it. My fear was that I may have a burned valve, due to too tight valve lash. Thankfully, they were actually loose when I inspected it, and I adjusted them to spec. I noticed that the spark plug gap opened up considerably, which I reset to spec's for now, until I order new plugs. I took the bike for a ride, the throttle hung at about 2000 rpm at the first stop sign that I came to, which made me think I failed to solve my problem. However, it hasn't had any problem since. I've taken it for about 4 rides since (on different days, about 3-4 hours each, maybe a half-hour break along the way) with no return of the problem.

I can't say for sure that my problem is solved, time will tell, won't have a chance for extensive riding until Spring. I just wanted to put this out there to reinforce that the basics need to be in good condition for fuel injection to function properly. These actions can be done for free, if you do your own maintenance. Even though this problem makes me think that some component, likely one that can fail when it gets hot, would be the source of this issue, keep in mind that this system is really Artificial Intelligence, thinking on it's own on adjustments it can make to correct running issues that it detects. If the basic mechanical components exceed the tolerances that the system was designed around, it will do unpredictable things.

I've had this happen to my 2014 Cali1400 Custom around a half dozen times over the 5 years I've had the bike. Thankfully, a good, fast, large winging of the throttle settled it all down. I checked the clutch switch also. No bueno. The only bit of trivia I can contribute is that every time it's happened, the ambient temps have been over 90F. A couple of those times, it was well over 100F. For that one reason, I've not attempted to troubleshoot beyond the clutch switch. Whatever it is, it seems to span the whole Guzzi 1400 engine production, all the models. Anyone who's had Aprilia's ever run across this issue on that brand? That would point to the Marelli blackbox, seems to me. FWIW (I know, not much)...

Guys, if you are still struggling with this, try this simple solution: Disconnect both poles on battery for at least 15 minutes. Ride at least 1 full tank of gas (250km). You can feel bike is running strange during that time but afterwards, mine is running great.

Last edited:
Ok, have tried about everything listed here. Valves adjusted perfectly, new plugs properly gapped, new crank position sensor, clutch micro switch confirmed good, battery disconnected, etc.

Simply put, I would like my throttle to return to idle when I close the throttle grip. Mine will remain around 2.2k as I slow down and not return to idle for about 10 seconds after I’m already at a complete stop. Very annoying and perhaps not safe.

Is there a definitive solution? Someone above mentioned their mechanic knew exactly what it was (reset TPS), but didn’t share how that is done.

Appreciate some definitive guidance...Thanks.

Hi all, I have a 2016 Audace. Not sure if this is strictly the hanging throttle issue but I'll describe symptoms:

When engine is cold within first 10 mins of riding.
With clutch in, bike stationary at lights engine will accelerate up to 4-5k without any input from the throttle.
I know when its about to occur because I hear the slow build up from idle then up to 5k for a second and return to normal idle.
I've never seen it happen when in gear or after engine is at operating temp.

Mods: Agostini short cans, blocked off SAS tubes.

I have read thru this topic, clutch button, temp sensor. Dont seem to be applicable?

Many thanks for any work thrus.

My 16' Audace with 4300 miles does the same thing. No correlation to temperature, I've only ridden the bike one day for a few hundred miles, but when I release the throttle it does take a few seconds for the rpm's to drop down to idle when it should be immediate.

I have a 2014 Touring which is having the following symptoms:
1. Always slow to return to idle regardless of engine temp. Sensation is that throttle cable is sticky.
2. Occasionally, when engine is quite warm (not overheated) the throttle sticks at 3K. A blip of the throttle and it will settle back to idle.

I also should note that my bike gets about 34 MPG on average. This seems very low. Also, when shifting gears (up) the throttle is still high like it hasn't tried to return to idle.

The throttle response is always smooth and linear.

I just finished reading all 12 pages and note:
#73 clutch switch and Todd's fueling solved issue
#81 assume vacuum leak. (When I was at AF1 racing recently, I mentioned this to counter guy and he said need to check for vacuum leak.)
#84 made many changes/checks to no avail
#97 Solved - too much valve clearance caused problem
#114 how to test clutch switch
#119 Solved - cleaning air box and air intake valve
#124 Solved - too much valve clearance caused problem
#126 Solved temp sensor was bad
#159 & 165 defective head
#189 Solved Loose valves
#190 Solved crank position sensor change
#198 Solved clutch switch change
#199 Solved temp sensor change
#223 Solved crank position sensor change
#225 Solved reset of throttle position sensor

It seems that there is no single cause and thus no single solution. It appears that the ECU is getting bad info in many cases and the solution is to identify the source of the bad info: clutch switch, TPS, temp sensor, crank position sensor or even loose valves.

Where to start - for me:
1. check valves - I set them myself at recent service. They may be a little loose.
2. check clutch switch. Does bike start in gear with clutch pulled in? Does cruise control work? Turn off with clutch?
3. check throttle cables for ease of operation
4 check for vacuum leaks.
5. either change temp sensor or head to dealer

Where to start - for me:
1. check valves - I set them myself at recent service. They may be a little loose.
2. check clutch switch. Does bike start in gear with clutch pulled in? Does cruise control work? Turn off with clutch?
3. check throttle cables for ease of operation
4 check for vacuum leaks.
5. either change temp sensor or head to dealer

1. Anecdotal. Would not have anything to do with slow to return to idle.
2. Anecdotal again. Would not have anything to do with slow to return to idle.
3. Your motorcycle is "ride by wire". It doesn't use throttle cables in the traditional sense. The cables are routed to a Twistgrip Position Sensor.
4. This is a potential problem and worth checking although unlikely.
5. Unlikely. This is the smartest thing you wrote. ("head to dealer")

Although I have not repaired this specific problem on this specific motorcycle, I would be more suspect of contamination within the sensing/transmitting mechanism for the throttle itself (twistgrip position sensor). Never underestimate the damage caused by washing the motorcycle and shooting water all into the motorcycle.

In this case, you will be better served in the long run to have a dealer with the proper PADS diagnostic software, check your settings and perhaps do the "Throttle Self Learning" function to reset the unit and check its performance. There are extensive testing procedures in the Service Manual but they require the factory tool.

Otherwise, you are really shooting blind and in the dark, wasting time and money, Your model of Moto Guzzi, more than any other, really requires the factory diagnostic equipment to get things correct timely and efficiently.

Screen Shot 2021 11 03 at 61213 AM

Screen Shot 2021 11 03 at 61240 AM

Screen Shot 2021 11 03 at 61605 AM

Last edited:
I was looking at a video of a 2014 Cali for sale and I noticed that when he was cracking the throttle the entire throttle cable assembly moved with the throttle, which I thought was strange. From what I have read here there are 2 generations of throttle by wire. One that has a cable that goes to a drive by wire module under the tank and version 2 that has the drive by wire built into the throttle assembly. My 16' Audace does not have the moving throttle cable like the 14'Cali I watched so I'm assuming I have version 2, I have the cruise control button on the right and a heated grip button on the left that is just for show. How can I confirm which version I have?

I was looking at a video of a 2014 Cali for sale and I noticed that when he was cracking the throttle the entire throttle cable assembly moved with the throttle, which I thought was strange. From what I have read here there are 2 generations of throttle by wire. One that has a cable that goes to a drive by wire module under the tank and version 2 that has the drive by wire built into the throttle assembly. My 16' Audace does not have the moving throttle cable like the 14'Cali I watched so I'm assuming I have version 2, I have the cruise control button on the right and a heated grip button on the left that is just for show. How can I confirm which version I have?

Ken - 2016's (like my Audace) have a pair of throttle cables on the RHS connected to a demand sensor under the tank and the cruise control button on the RHS, i.e. your version 1 above. Version 2 (no throttle cables and sensor in throttle grip), came in 2017 with the cruise on the LHS

Hello my 2014 Cali 1400 custom was doing the exact same thing, when hot soaked unstable high idle. Two weeks ago I took my bike into the Guzzi dealer for new tires and to check my bike for recalls well , guess what, the system from Piaggio plugged into my bike and a software update of tuning map for drivability showed up, they installed that , charged my .5 hours labor and did the alternator wire .3 hours, new tires and when I picked up my bike it was like it was a different bike, all the light load and idle issues fixed, bike runs like a champ now it was 90 % perfect tune now just a little of the lean hot condtion but now the idle will always quickly return to 1100 rpm when hot soaked in traffic etc. FYI, get your bike into the dealership. I'm so happy now. I also did the booster plug trick and now its totally 100% . Reg

Hello my 2014 Cali 1400 custom was doing the exact same thing, when hot soaked unstable high idle. Two weeks ago I took my bike into the Guzzi dealer for new tires and to check my bike for recalls well , guess what, the system from Piaggio plugged into my bike and a software update of tuning map for drivability showed up, they installed that , charged my .5 hours labor and did the alternator wire .3 hours, new tires and when I picked up my bike it was like it was a different bike, all the light load and idle issues fixed, bike runs like a champ now it was 90 % perfect tune now just a little of the lean hot condtion but now the idle will always quickly return to 1100 rpm when hot soaked in traffic etc. FYI, get your bike into the dealership. I'm so happy now. I also did the booster plug trick and now its totally 100% . Reg
I wished I had known that, I bought this for $11000 and sold it for 6000, no dealers anywhere in Idaho.

Back