• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Key Cloning

Amory

Just got it firing!
I've had my '14 California for a few weeks now. It only came with one key, so I ordered a set of uncut Moto Guzzi blanks. After reading the potential issues with onboarding new keys to the bike and the closest dealer being 3 hours away, I am attempting to find a locksmith who can clone my existing transponder code from the single key that I have.

The first locksmith I went to was able to cut the blanks without any issue. He attempted to clone the transponder without success. His machine was able to read the existing key, but the new keys would not accept the transponder programming. He mentioned that his cloning machine was older and suggested a few other locksmiths in the area who should have newer equipment and may be able to clone my transponder code.

First, if you have had a key successfully cloned, do you know what kind of equipment was used? It will make it easier if I can call around and find it.

Second, I found this aftermarket key that is much cheaper and seems to be purposely simple to clone. They mention that many hardware stores would be able to make a copy using this key. Has anyone tried this route?

mysecuritypro.com/ZD23RT5.aspx

Lastly, does anyone know the kind of key blank needed to copy the stock saddlebag key? I've not had any luck finding one locally.

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
First of all make sure the keys blanks are SKU 2D000004.

I had a friend of mine who was screwed by dealer by giving him a wrong keys blank which were for older California models. Those look identical but have a different transponder chip in it which will never marry to 2014-2020 California dash.

Secondly, you must have a working user code for your bike. If you don't have it, don't even attempt it and take it to dealer to make it their problem even though he is 3 hours away.

Even everything was correct for me with correct sku for keys and also having a user code, I ran into a dreaded RED triangle issue but luckily it was done at dealer so it made it their problem. Dealer ended up getting Moto Guzzi correcting the issue by sending dash to them. I was out without a bike for 3+ weeks. Now I have 5 working keys :)

First of all make sure the keys blanks are SKU 2D000004.

I had a friend of mine who was screwed by dealer by giving him a wrong keys blank which were for older California models. Those look identical but have a different transponder chip in it which will never marry to 2014-2020 California dash.

Secondly, you must have a working user code for your bike. If you don't have it, don't even attempt it and take it to dealer to make it their problem even though he is 3 hours away.

Even everything was correct for me with correct sku for keys and also having a user code, I ran into a dreaded RED triangle issue but luckily it was done at dealer so it made it their problem. Dealer ended up getting Moto Guzzi correcting the issue by sending dash to them. I was out without a bike for 3+ weeks. Now I have 5 working keys :)

I have the 2D000004 keys, my user code has not been defined (win!), and I am not going to try to onboard a new key by myself. I've done it several times with other vehicles, but the downside seems bad on this bike!

From what you've described, the issue arose when you attempted to onboard a new key. When you onboard, the bike does a handshake with the new transponder key and generates a unique code that gets programed to the transponder in that new key. This requires all the steps to enter your user code and insert the keys and such. Next time I'm near a dealer, I may go that route.

With transponder cloning, you take your existing key and read the unique code. When the locksmith uses the cloning machine they imprint that existing unique code on a second key. As far as the bike knows, there is just one key. In reality you have two (or as many as you'd like) keys with the same unique code. When you insert the key into the ignition and turn the switch, the bike does a handshake and validates the transponder has a usable code and then allows the bike to start.

I have the 2D000004 keys, my user code has not been defined (win!), and I am not going to try to onboard a new key by myself. I've done it several times with other vehicles, but the downside seems bad on this bike!

From what you've described, the issue arose when you attempted to onboard a new key. When you onboard, the bike does a handshake with the new transponder key and generates a unique code that gets programed to the transponder in that new key. This requires all the steps to enter your user code and insert the keys and such. Next time I'm near a dealer, I may go that route.

With transponder cloning, you take your existing key and read the unique code. When the locksmith uses the cloning machine they imprint that existing unique code on a second key. As far as the bike knows, there is just one key. In reality you have two (or as many as you'd like) keys with the same unique code. When you insert the key into the ignition and turn the switch, the bike does a handshake and validates the transponder has a usable code and then allows the bike to start.

Before sending Dash and Keys to Piaggio, my local dealer tried to get some very expert key cloner in Berkeley, CA who does cloning of keys for Ducati and other Italian bikes. He was able to clone the key but that didn't solve my problem of red triangle obviously. In the end dealer gave me those two cloned keys as extra which is why I have 5 total keys. One key that came with bike, two from failed attempt even after cloning and two that Piaggio sent with Dash. Total of 3 keys are exactly same (two were cloned from original key) and two new keys are mated to dash. Not sure if I am confusing you enough.

But had I not got dealer to do this, I would have to goto Carmo NL and spend over 500 in getting things fixed.

To answer the question about cloning, there was some locksmith in Berkeley, CA was able to clone it so cloning is possible but not sure what they charge.

Before sending Dash and Keys to Piaggio, my local dealer tried to get some very expert key cloner in Berkeley, CA who does cloning of keys for Ducati and other Italian bikes. He was able to clone the key but that didn't solve my problem of red triangle obviously. In the end dealer gave me those two cloned keys as extra which is why I have 5 total keys. One key that came with bike, two from failed attempt even after cloning and two that Piaggio sent with Dash. Total of 3 keys are exactly same (two were cloned from original key) and two new keys are mated to dash. Not sure if I am confusing you enough.

But had I not got dealer to do this, I would have to goto Carmo NL and spend over 500 in getting things fixed.

To answer the question about cloning, there was some locksmith in Berkeley, CA was able to clone it so cloning is possible but not sure what they charge.

Thank you! That make sense to me. I'm trying another guy this week and will post here if it works.

Good news. I didn't see what your final solution was. Good for your dealer being able to get things sorted for you with a new dash. One of the dealers I worked with on my problem tried replacing the dash and had no success. Maybe it was because they also did not get keys matched to it also...

Good news. I didn't see what your final solution was. Good for your dealer being able to get things sorted for you with a new dash. One of the dealers I worked with on my problem tried replacing the dash and had no success. Maybe it was because they also did not get keys matched to it also...

I don't know what was done but as far as I can tell, Dash is still the same. It had tiny scratch on right side from when I was removing windshield which is still there.

Not sure if they also sent it to Carmo Electronics in NL :)

I don't know what was done but as far as I can tell, Dash is still the same. It had tiny scratch on right side from when I was removing windshield which is still there.

Not sure if they also sent it to Carmo Electronics in NL :)

Hmmmm. Interesting. But, good news nonetheless. Glad you got it sorted out with the help of your dealer.

Back