• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Removing Norge Tupperware Discovery

Bill Hagan

GT Reference
GT di Razza Pura
Above Pott's Camp along Braddock's route, Virginia
I learned something about this process in the last day or so that was astonishingly helpful. OTOH, I may be the last person on the planet who cares and did not know. In case you care and did not know, here goes.

So, yesterday, an Atlantan firstgen Norgester called me. Joe was doing some delayed major maintenance and general exploratory work on his ‘08. In the course of that, he discovered a number of interesting things.

One, that I knew but he didn’t, was don’t try to remove both “pork chops” at same time. The laws of physics will teach a lesson that will be way more effective than any my high-school science teachers did! Luckily, Joe is both quick-witted and fleet of foot, so his Norge remained upright until he righted the wrong.

OTOH, he did discover something that I sure wish I had known about five tupperwarectomies ago: the cowl and upper fairing will come off in one piece!

I cannot convey the difficulty (at least for me) in trying to remove those separately. Took more and smaller hands, fingers, tools, patience, and cursing vocabulary than I have. :swear:

But, darn if it isn’t faster, easier, and remove it as a single piece! Did it this afternoon -- in literal minutes -- when I ran into an issue with an exhaust-header stud. That’s an easy task on most Guzzis, but reinstalling an inner stud on a Norge with its cladding on is a major PITA.

See pix.

TempImage80dxgd TempImageNjoIUd

1921 - 2021!

Bill

I had the same enlightenment with a 2002 Lemans, in that I was offered all sorts of advice on how to remove the fairing, when suddenly I realised that it only took 4 bolts and it comes off in one piece...perhaps Guzzi are smarter than most of us realise and thats how they assemble them in the first place.
Also I love your garage Bill, having just received a 10' x 12' shed I now can put the three bikes under cover as well as work on them, but your place is simply a magnificent place...kudos

Bill, You can take both pork chops off at the same time. You just need to have the bike on the center stand. I do it all the time. It is the only way to service (grease) the swing arm bearings and shock linkage. With the bike secured on your lift, just jack up from the rear of the engine until you can drop the center stand. Really easy to do.

Rather than do a multi-quote, let me respond this way to the two main points commented upon, above.

1. Apropos "pork chops" and falling Norges. John, that the Norge "won't fall over" will come as a big surprise to Joe and, while a 10-YO memory, also to me as I, too, had a similar experience. Obviously, we were doing something wrong, but in both cases, our Norges started to topple -- or we were both scared feceless that they would! -- as the center stands seemed to let go. Not doubting your expertise and experience at all, but it is puzzling. I will study that later this afternoon when I get back down there; Kathi's already spoken for most of the rest of my day with way less fun tasks. The piper(ette) must be paid. :makeup:

2. The Moto Grappa. It is less magnificent than pix sometimes make it appear; think Zillow and homes for sale. Still, it is quite fine, especially after adding a mini-split last year. I had a wonderful garage/shop built in Atlanta in 2005. That was the "GarageMahalo," not the oft-named GarageMahal, but a play on the Hawaiian word for "thank you." We lived on Schofield Barracks for three years; war is heck; the things I do for my country! :giggle:

Anyway, I had a sign there that I have since put in the Moto Grappa that acknowledges my ever-indulgent wife, Kathi, aka my Perfect Pillion & Polish Princess. :inlove: We then moved here to the top of Virginia in 2012. In 2014, took a c.28' x 42' outbuilding and converted about a third of it into the Moto Grappa. The unfinished side finally got treated to the dostadning process as we decluttered over 50+ years of "stuff." That space now houses our Mini 'vert and decrepit but beloved Toy pickup.

9B463AE4 E755 4BBF 9E1F 520A49CA7573 1 201 a

I may well have posted this here before, but if terminally bored or snowbound, here's a pic show of its transformation:

https://bill-and-kathi.smugmug.com/GarageMahalo-II/n-rVrf9/

Guzzista here are always invited to visit if near. :clap:

Bill

Bill, It may be I leave the jack under the engine for added insurance. The pork chops are not structural and provide mount points for pegs and controls. However a couple bolts may go through the plate that supports the center stand.

Pulling both pork chops I found the a couple bolts needed to be put in the frame from the backside or the center stand would slip being only held by the front pair of bolts.

Most interesting, I've often wondered how difficult it would be to install a Norge upper fairing on my Breva.
did you ever find an answer?

Looking at the tanks of each, they seem very similar, and the lug on the fairing that attaches to the tank on the Norge, could very well be the same for the cowling above the cylinder of the Breva 1200. Physically ,they seem so similar.

Well, Scott, not sure what it's called in Italian, but the Mandellans translated part 977408 into "stand plate." :giggle:

Nomenclature of the technical and vernacular is always interesting. I sometimes use the former techspeak, e.g., "thingamabob" and similar for items :rofl:, but have heard "pork chop" -- and nothing else -- used quite a bit WRT that particular item.

Back to watering plants ... :swear:

Bill

View attachment 22287 Kick stand. That’s what I get when I search that part number. Do you mean the mounting plate? #2 & 17 ? Is that a “pork chop”?

View attachment 22288

:think:

No.

I am -- please be gentle as I am a sensitive soul :giggle: -- an idiot who looked and responded too quickly. :mad:

<snip>

It's a good thing I don't work in a motorcycle parts warehouse! :swear:

See parts 1 & 11 here ... Doh

Screen Shot 2021 06 02 at 104946

Last edited:
Pork chop is way more fun than RH Plate and LH Plate.
Funny story... Many years ago my mother made pork chops in the microwave. She turned them on for waaaay too long. When the smoke cleared and I was able to make my way through the kitchen I found some black carbon objects in the microwave. They were every bit as hard as a RH Plate or LH Plate.

To digress.
Seeing that diagram of the kick stand reminded me that there was a TSB on it coming loose. They introduced a washer under the top bolt (12) and used loctite on the threads.

Back