• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Where can I get a spare key made?

Sgrabin

Tuned and Synch'ed
2014 Norge. It only came with one key so I definitely want to get a spare or two made. Nearest dealer is 2 hours away. I have no idea if there is any kind of chip or not in this key. Anybody have ideas on where to obtain blanks and who can cut them to make spare keys? Thank you in advance.

There is a chip in the key. If you get the blank, a locksmith can cut the key. There is a procedure in the Breva Service Manual in the downloads to program a second key. I'm not sure if you must know the user code. You may be able to just add a key since you have a recognized key. Once you have two learned keys, I recommend establishing a User Code if you don't already know the user code for the bike. I recommend using the maintenance code or the last 5 of the VIN.

Any dealer can sell you a pair of blank uncut RFID keys like shown below (part # 977918 - I can get them for you for $102.50 + shipping). You may be able to find a local locksmith that can cut them for you, or AF1 in Austin offers the service; af1racing.com/af1-racing-key-milling-service-for-transponder-key -- they also offer a key cloning service, or as John states above, you can DIY via the dashboard if you have the User Code - and if you don't, I would try hard to do so from the previous owner. This is PARAMOUNT information in time to you and the bike.
I have looked into purchasing the equipment (cutter and cloning machine) myself to do this every time I get a bike in the workshop that needs one, but nearly every person has chose to risk it, so I haven't ventured down this path (yet).

MG trnsponder chip

Yes you really need the user code. It can save a lot of grief and expense. I had a key cloned last year at the one locksmith in a 100 mile radius that could do it. The cloned key works but I can still not retrieve or set the user code for some reason.
It's a great relief just having the 2 keys with a chip.

I found website ducatipartsunlimited.com that sells key blanks for $29 for Norge, Griso, and Bellagio

from the website: These are aftermarket keys and come as pictured with Ducati LOGO but they use the same transponder chip needed for the Moto Guzzi models stated. Please make sure you understand that these keys are BLANKS with BLANK CHIPS and you will need to take them to a locksmith with transponder key cloning capabilities to have them cut and electronically "cloned" from your original key before it will work on your bike.

rs=w:600,h:600

Georgia. I've had the one in Flowery branch do several for me. They were car keys, but I'm assuming a chip is a chip. Call around.
A chip is not a chip. There are a few different types. The Guzzi/Aprilia chip is relatively rare in locksmith terms. I checked many locksmiths in the Ottawa area (population 1 million plus)and found there was only one that had the equipment to do it. Even he had a hard time.

This is not a cheap endeavor. After talking to my local locksmith that said he could not get the correct blanks but could make the cuts, I ended up buying the blank keys from Harpers($125.00 with shipping) and had B-Town locks in Burien WA cut the grooves.($24.00ea)
The funny part is that I never programed them and several months later I misplaced my only programmed key. Luck was on my side as the previous owners never changed the passcode from factory default and I was able to program both new keys. I found the old key the next day. I then bought Tiles(Bluetooth key locators) for all my keychains. Totally worth the $40 each. Now it takes a couple minuets to find keys instead of a couple hours or days even. if they are not in Bluetooth range(supposedly 400ft, realistically, more like 250ft) the app tells you the last known location. they help you locate your misplaced phone also by tapping the button twice on the tile. Just make sure you get the one that you can replace the battery because there are some you cant.

2014 Norge. It only came with one key so I definitely want to get a spare or two made. Nearest dealer is 2 hours away. I have no idea if there is any kind of chip or not in this key. Anybody have ideas on where to obtain blanks and who can cut them to make spare keys? Thank you in advance.
I bought a blank from the dealer, $35. It has a chip and was cut by a local locksmith for $35 to do both sides. After puttting it in ignition bike ask for code. Didnt have it so i entered all zeros and it activated! Now i have a spare

I bought a blank from the dealer, $35. It has a chip and was cut by a local locksmith for $35 to do both sides. After puttting it in ignition bike ask for code. Didnt have it so i entered all zeros and it activated! Now i have a spare

You need to set a user code. Luckily one hadn't been set and you could use the default. See the Breva Service manual in the downloads for the procedure. Some use the maintenance code, or the last numbers of the VIN

The chip can be programmed with the bike.theres a menue option for it if you have the high level password luckily mine wasn't changed from factory default. Order the keyset. And hopefully yo can find a local locksmith that can cut it. It's nearly the same as the 07-18 ford side cut? My 07 is. Then follow the instructions to match key to the bike using the onboard system. Took less than 10 ,Inuits to do both. Up to 4 keys accepted. One will be the master.

You need to set a user code. Luckily one hadn't been set and you could use the default. See the Breva Service manual in the downloads for the procedure. Some use the maintenance code, or the last numbers of the VIN
I dont need to set the code, its a backup key for emergency so i can start the bike if needed

If that hapoens i will set one

Once it happens, it is too late. There has to be a recognized key in with the bike ignition on, but you don't need the engine running. Also there is a procedure to add the key you had made (so ir is recognized and you don't need to enter a code) see the Breva service manual in the downloads section.

Back