• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Time to Re-Tire : )

I am looking at heading north this summer which if I can get the correct tire, will include a little bit of gravel. Can anyone recommend a tire that is good for highway/wet and include some gravel/packed gravel roads. I am looking at tires for both my B11 and Norge 8V. I am not looking for adventure tires, just something that will assist in gravel traction and not be chewed to pieces over 50-100 km of gravel.

I "liked" and agree with BrianR's statement about tires generally. Tire technology for all vehicles has come so far so fast that it worries about how I used to ride on "old tech" tires of only 10 years ago. :(

Now, all of that said, Brett, who revived this old "tread" -- :giggle: -- asked specifically about tires that were "not looking for adventure tires, just something that will assist in gravel traction and not be chewed to pieces over 50-100 km of gravel."

I am not sure that the standard sport-tourer tires mentioned fit that bill.

I try hard not to be the tire version of a die-hard "Ford, Chevy, or Dodger" kind of guy. I have nonetheless pretty much gravitated on my Norge to Michelin Road 4 (now on rear) and the just-mounted 5 GT on the front.

As much as those tires impress me as superb rubber (and whatever else is in there! ;)) for the sorts of riding I do -- i.e., all weather, back roads, technical twisties, and more, including LD, high-speed slab runs that I avoid like the present C19 plague! -- I would not think them necessarily the best for Brett's professed purposes. I have ridden the Norge in gravel, but rarely intentionally and even less for any distances over a few miles. My Stornello "enjoys" that. The Norge and others, not so much.

I have spent time in Edmonton and environs, but Brett says he wants to go "north" from, I suppose, Edson. Never been there; likely never will. Can't even imagine going north from there on a motorcycle. I am simply not worthy! :happy:

Anyway, my point is that after trying almost all of the S/T tires on my Norge, I don't think that the "usual suspects" among those are quite the right choice. I am not sure what the answer is, and Brett says he "isn't looking for adventure tires," but I think he might have more "adventure" than he seeks with "regular" S/T shoes.

1921 - 2021!

Bill

TempImageYzvCFl

TempImagefhhAHX

I have the Avon 54's on the Stelvio...smooth on the road, good in the rain and likely can handle fire roads and even loose stuff. Just for info on tire capability, Nick Sanders went round the world on an R1 and used Continental Road Attack ST tires

Thank you all for your insights on this fine Zombie thread. If I steer clear of fire roads, I will likely go with the Pilot Road 4's for my wife's Norge, I am currently running these. If our route involves some fire roads, I believe I will go with the Angel GT II although I am now intrigued by the Avon 54's and the R1's did make my short list.

Need new rubber for the 1200 Sport.

Very frustrating buying tires for a motorcycle. They ain't cheap, ya can't really tell how they're gonna feel till you put them on and scuff em in and if you don't like em, you're stuck.

So, any input on this one would be greatly appreciated.

I've burned through the Metzler's and liked them much better on my 1100 Breva than the 1200 S.

I've always been a big Dunlop fan and have been checking out the Sportmax and Elite III. But I'm hearing that the Michelin Pilots are the best match up.

Anyone have any experience to share with either?
Had Metzlers on my v1100, but my Norge has new Michelin Pilot sport 5s. Fabulous grip and hard center strip on rear, love these

Like Robert said, they were designed for the wet and on my Griso they have been excellent both wet and dry, IMO, Michelin and Bridgestone seem to feel better and more planted in the rain here on the Wet Coast of Canada, but that is a "feel" judgement.

They were made especially for wet performance. Far better than anything else available
That's a strong statement, and nothing I will waste any time debating... but clearly you've not spent any time on Dunlop Roadsmart IVs. I would challenge you to some track time in the rain on both brands if you'd like. ;)
The PS5s may get better mileage, but the new RS4 is supposed to at least match the PS5.
Tire threads are combustive disasters always.

I officially went with the Pirelli Angel GT II. My wife's Norge has the Angel GT's and have great wear on them now at nearly 10,000 km. that is what pushed me the rest of the way to the GT II's.

Opinions are good and I generally agree, but nowadays, any traditional tire manufacturer will have a sport touring pair that will work beautifully. I always ask my trusted dealer which tires are on sale or has a rebate and go with them. Currently @CT's on a Griso, Avons on the Stelvio and Roadsmart 3's on a Kawasaki ZX1000....all work great and their abilities far outweigh mine

might be the smartest tire statement ever!

The only people that actually ride their bikes and tires to the edge of their capabilities are Racers,
Unless all these tires were pushed to their limits in Dry/wet/ loose surfaces by the same Robot with sensors to collect data about everything happening, were all talking about what Blue looks like... to Us ;)

( no disrespect intended )

Need new rubber for the 1200 Sport.

Very frustrating buying tires for a motorcycle. They ain't cheap, ya can't really tell how they're gonna feel till you put them on and scuff em in and if you don't like em, you're stuck.

So, any input on this one would be greatly appreciated.

I've burned through the Metzler's and liked them much better on my 1100 Breva than the 1200 S.

I've always been a big Dunlop fan and have been checking out the Sportmax and Elite III. But I'm hearing that the Michelin Pilots are the best match up.

Anyone have any experience to share with either?
I had Metzlers on my Balabio V11 loved them! Have Road 5 Michelins on my 08 Norge and they stick as well, hoping for more miles. Only 7k from the Metzlers these Michelins should go over 10k

Take phrases like "you should get XXX mileage out of XXX tires" with a grain of salt.

EVERYBODY is different on their tires. I can destroy a set of the best tires in 2500 miles, or I can go easy on a set and get 7000 miles. It depends upon where and how I am riding, and your mileage will vary too.

Take phrases like "you should get XXX mileage out of XXX tires" with a grain of salt.

EVERYBODY is different on their tires. I can destroy a set of the best tires in 2500 miles, or I can go easy on a set and get 7000 miles. It depends upon where and how I am riding, and your mileage will vary too.
Of course riders are different, but i disagree w/your premise that actual data from individual people on their bikes is BAD! It only helps give perpective on certain products ok

Back