• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

prospective Norge owner and some questions

kotkinjs1

Just got it firing!
Hi all, first post, hopefully first of many. ;) I'm looking to get into Sport Tourers from my current cruiser (Honda VTX1800). It's nice but it just has no legs. The MPG and tank capacity isn't what I would consider optimal for the kind of riding I want to do. Plus I think I'll like the ergonomics of the sport-tourer. I used to own a few sport bikes and loved them but age has caught up with me and my lower back and wrists don't agree with the position anymore.

Anyway, I'm torn between a 2012 Norge GT8V and a Honda ST1300. The ST is a 2006 and about 52K miles. The Norge is a '12 and 73K miles. The price is lower on the Norge by over a thousand (both under $5K). The Norge seller apparently has been pretty regular with maintenance - regular Motul 10-60 oil changes, oil pressure sending unit replaced around 30K miles, alternator belt replaced around 40K. Also has the Matris suspension upgrade. Had the factory roller job done. All else reportedly works just as it should and no issues.

So, I'm not used to high mileage bikes and frankly 73K miles kinda scares me. But it's only about 20K more than the Honda. I've read that Norge's can take the miles. Would this be a sleeper for under $4K compared to an ST1300 at just under $5K?

I think it comes down to what your heart says.
The Honda has as much soul as a fridge, will do the job forever in an unremarkeable way. I had a K1100LT for a year that I sold for that reason.
The Guzzi is good for many more smiles per mile but has its quirks. But it looks like the important stuff is done already, so it sounds like a good choice to me.

If you buy the Norge, be sure to get two keys and the user code from the current owner. BTW, The Norge is a great bike and good for many more miles. Read some of the mileage reports on this forum.

The Guzzi has character and the Honda, well not so much. I have a 2012 Norge and there are very few bikes out there if any that I'd rather have.
I've done a bunch of mods including the Matris front and rear. That made a huge difference in the handling and ride quality. I've also done the full exhaust and just received the full Power Commander V, AT300 fueling kit. The fueling is very lean without modification.
Todd that owns and operates this website also has the online store with many good things available for the Norge. Click the "STORE" link at the top of the page.

Thanks all for the replies so far. Just came back from looking at it and a quick test ride. Feels good in the saddle, - holy cow the torque!! - really responsive, and really nimble although I was on my tippy toes while sitting at a stop. It's higher than I'd thought - I'm normal height 5' 8 or 9ish - but maybe I'm just used to (spoiled by) my cruiser. Aside from some normal scuffs and no big scratches, it looks like a clean bike and he's done all the maintenance on it himself over the years - has logs for it all. He's owned other Guzzis and learned from an apparently well-known mechanic in GA north of Atlanta from a shop that used to be there a while back. The only thing that bothered me was a blinking ABS light that stopped blinking after riding for a minute, the paint on the gas tank needs to be redone, and it idles just over 1000 - seems low? But it ran niiiice. The electric windscreen would stick a little on going up but I guess it's not like I'd be messing with that all the time.

I guess when the paint starts to bother me enough I could just get that redone. Anyone have an idea about the ABS light? Bad sensor? Seem like a good deal for under $4K?

Thanks again so far.

193207214 306879384433195 5415298169599546730 n 196853169 596157174696768 1004625019285913651 n 196363225 540112200352021 5894515631814691793 n 196117499 328812095292704 5473039119362259927 n 193876200 981796262631366 3592142772061786002 n 195098578 345352763613749 876698093217260477 n 193137807 3032641543719427 3979825180983536728 n 193593997 525476798866108 621512985134619878 n 194425137 181061354021528 2026513425925390167 n 191540749 153512876819015 8731993724580110376 n

I'd be all over it. Looks like an aftermarket seat, if you add that to the suspension and roller cam job alone, you're getting near the purchase price of the bike!

The wings on the after market seat is the problem on reaching the ground. Find a stock seat and you won't have the leg issue. Now with the stock seat, ride it a bit then send to Sargent in Florida to have it re-done with closed cell foam. They can make it higher or lower than stock based on what you want from the original position. The original seats have a soft foam that does break down on a long ride and leaves you on the seat pan.

Any idea about that ABS sensor? Not something to worry about? It doesn't blink all the time, just at startup and for a minute or so into the ride.

The mechanic may be me and the bike might be in Tampa. Correct?

Yep, just talked to Steve. I rode down to FL few years ago & did up 3 Norge's at his place.

Last edited:
The top box is an extra large aftermarket one. Todd makes a beautiful stainless steel Y- pipe to replace the big, ugly, heavy colostomy bag shown in pic 7 and 10.
That gas tank is nasty. He must have spilled a lot of ethanol laced fuel on it or something. I couldn't live with that.
The ABS light usually flashes until you ride away but not for a minute. Try playing with the ABS button. It may be turned off.
The idle is actually a little high I think.
P.S. I have a red Corbin seat on mine. Much more comfy than stock.

Last edited:
The paint on the tank comes from ethanol in gas, which is hygroscopic (pulls water from the atmosphere) which binds to the material the tank is made of, and migrates to the surface under the paint, causing the bubbles.

A tank bra is a simple and elegant solution. I’ve seen them on eBay.

The ABS light from your description, is working as it should.

Go read the owners manual ABS section.

Attachments

• Norge 1200 GT 8v ENUS-FR Ed.01-2013.pdf
    2.3 MB · Views: 2
Last edited:
Thanks again all - I'm now a Guzzisti! :clap:

Looking for a tank bra - oddly I can't find any on eBay. There's a seller in France but I'm not sure if the one for the 1200 he sells will fit the 8V. Don't know if the tanks are different. Also looking for a stock seat and the little cover (part GU05464830) for the rear frame if I were to remove the tail rack. There's a local Guzzi dealer so I'll check their parts dept before I post a WTB here.

She rides smooth, is responsive, so much more responsive than the cruiser I was used to, and wow I didn't even need to get into top gear on the highway home. Glad to be part of the family now - now to start learning and riding. Stay tuned for all the questions lol!

201442471 10158382213501733 8629729332917005034 n

Congratulations!

I have my stock seat I could sell but I think the shipping might be a little crazy to Florida from Quebec.
The first thing I did was remove the top case and rack. I didn't even know there was a cover for it.

Congratulations!

I have my stock seat I could sell but I think the shipping might be a little crazy to Florida from Quebec.
The first thing I did was remove the top case and rack. I didn't even know there was a cover for it.
I saw these little plugs that go where the rack mounts in a YouTube vid from Italy

Thanks again all - I'm now a Guzzisti!
Congrats, welcome and thanks for posting the pic. Hope you'll add your VIN# and related for the first post of this thread. Post often.

Congrats,
The tanks are identical for 2V and 8V, no problem.
The french product is Bagster, and fits perfectly on the bike with small windows to see the Guzzi logo .
I'm french from Paris

Back