• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

High Speed Weave

Oldman

Tuned and Synch'ed
GT Contributor
Hello. Looking for ideas. I have a six month old V7iii with 7000 km. Normally I don't ride on motorways but I have just completed a trip up through Spain with some fast riding. With a crosswind or triggered by any road imperfection the bike would start a high speed weave. This is at speeds between 130 and 140 km. It could be stopped by lying on the tank, accelerating or turning. Tyre pressure was 2.5 front 2.6 rear with soft side panniers and a duffle bag strapped across them. Others have commented on the V7 being rock solid at speed well mine isn't. Any ideas? I will of course be trying again without the luggage but it is really quite a small load.,

Thanks. I will check the torque and also any movement other than rotation but is there anything else?
For over a decade now I’ve been talking about and moving the forks upwards in the triples 15-20mm. So much so, that everyone wants to take credit for it without even a nod this way. Anyway, this helps tremendously with stability and turn in on most all modern small blocks. Front tire age and wear? Going with a radial tire in a 110/80-18 (if you’re legally allowed) is another incredible change as well.

For over a decade now I’ve been talking about and moving the forks upwards in the triples 15-20mm. This helps tremendously with stability and turn in on most all modern small blocks. Front tire age and wear? Going with a radial tire in a 110/80-18 (if you’re legally allowed) is another incredible change as well.
Thanks so much for your advice. I had seen many references to moving the forks but I had thought that made the bike easier to turn so decreasing rather than increasing stability but if you think it is the thing to do I will do it. Thanks.

Thanks so much for your advice. I had seen many references to moving the forks but I had thought that made the bike easier to turn so decreasing rather than increasing stability but if you think it is the thing to do I will do it. Thanks.
I don’t think, I know. It’s physics, and I’ve been doing/proving it works for 10+ years. You did as well by laying on the tank effectively reducing rake. You ignored my question on tire age and wear. Modern radial tires are another worthwhile change. Enjoy.

I don’t think, I know. It’s physics, and I’ve been doing/proving it works for 10+ years. You did as well by laying on the tank effectively reducing rake. You ignored my question on tire age and wear. Modern radial tires are another worthwhile change. Enjoy.
Thanks again. I didn't mean to ignore your comment on tyres it is just that I know you expect people to have done their research and then ask questions. I just don't know enough about tyre size and construction yet to comment. The bike came with Pirelli Sport Demons. They wore really fast with the rear tyre pattern down to the legal minimum after just 4500 km. I changed the rear for a Continental Trail Attack. I looked at recomendations, I live 8km down a fire track so that influenced the choice. The bike weaved once before the tyre change, but not on the straight, I was cornering sharply at no more than 90 kph and an oncoming car nudged over the centre line so, stupidly, rather than lean harder I touched the brake. The bike started to weave in the same way as I described above on the Hiway. So, despite my error, I think the weaving predates my selection of replacement rear tyre.

Thanks again. I didn't mean to ignore your comment on tyres it is just that I know you expect people to have done their research and then ask questions. I just don't know enough about tyre size and construction yet to comment. The bike came with Pirelli Sport Demons. They wore really fast with the rear tyre pattern down to the legal minimum after just 4500 km. I changed the rear for a Continental Trail Attack. I looked at recomendations, I live 8km down a fire track so that influenced the choice. The bike weaved once before the tyre change, but not on the straight, I was cornering sharply at no more than 90 kph and an oncoming car nudged over the centre line so, stupidly, rather than lean harder I touched the brake. The bike started to weave in the same way as I described above on the Hiway. So, despite my error, I think the weaving predates my selection of replacement rear tyre.
Very welcome, and is the front tire a Conti Trail Attack? Which model if so. The front isn't available here in a 18 in the TA2 or TA3.
Raise the forks in the triples 15-20mm and report back.

The front tyre is still the original Pirelli Speed Demon, so I have a mix of bias ply on front and radial at the back. I will lower the forks and report back. Thanks.
Very good, and get rid of the Pirelli garbage ASAP. ;)

The front tyre is still the original Pirelli Speed Demon, so I have a mix of bias ply on front and radial at the back. I will lower the forks and report back. Thanks.

The mix of radial and bias may be your issue. Either run both bias, or both radial. Also check for side to side play at the swing arm as well as my previous suggestion on the steering head bearings. I had a Suzuki water buffalo put me down due to worn swing arm bushings. Your bike has tapered roller bearings so if anything only an adjustment.

Also check if your rear spring preload and damping is adjusted to your weight and gear. A soft rear suspension and lack of damping can create a weave as well.

Back