• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Broken Gauge Glass

crswa

Tuned and Synch'ed
While out on a ride recently, I noticed that the gauge glass was cracked on the left side of my instrument cluster. Don't know how it happened as nothing came in contact with it that I can remember.

Does anyone have any experience replacing the gauge glass on a Breva? Is the glass available as a replacement part?

Hi,
I think you will find that it will be part of the whole dash assembly,youre best bet would be to find a second hand dash (there must be plenty about as they are not very reliable !) and split it for parts.
At 350 pounds sterling there not cheap!!.
Good luck!
Cliffy.

Is the bike still under warranty? If so then a claim would be worth a try. If no joy there, as a temporary measure there are Seek and Seal products available which are often used to seal cracked window glass and other small cracks. This is a liquid which becomes gummy and is not a superglue. Superglues tend to produce a whitish haze around the crack but the Seek and Seal can have the excess wiped off with a suitable solvent of the type used to prepare car paint for over-painting. We have one here called Prepsol.

The "glass" on the instruments is not glass but a clear acrylic. So what windscreen people use would not work.

I have a little bottle of Plastic Weld, got it from a model shop. It does what it says on the bottle, and being a liquid, it goes into the crack and wels the sides together chenmically.
But I would not guarantee that the repair would be invisible.

It works extremely well with ABS plastics (as in Guzzi plastic bits), the repair is often stronger than the original.

The glass on my speedo has a crack in it too, as a temporary repair i've just put some scotch "magic tape" over it.
Brian, have you got a manufacturers name on your bottle of plastic weld, i might try it in the crack if i can get hold of some.

Well I have never had to replace any gauge windows on any bike before but I do have some experience with Plexi/Acrylic, & Glass. Since its acrylic, its a real easy medium to work with as long as you take your time with it and be gentle.

Go find a piece that is close to the needed thickness and a bit lager in size, may be twice as big in case you goof up on the first attempt. Some sheets have just a thin clear film over it and others with have a paper film keeping the finish protected. I always put 2 to 3 layers of masking tape over what I am working to protect it from scratches and cracking. Lay your old part on top off the new material and trace the pattern. Now you can use a scroll/jig saw but if you do you will probably want to sandwich the glass between 2 pieces of plywood to keep the blade vibration from cracking the material. A good band saw with the band reversed works the best for me. I also have not tried it but a Dremel with a router attachment might work real well too.

When drilling holes I always start with a tiny bit and keep working my way up to the desired hole diameter. I also use low speed with the drill in reverse. Takes a bit of time but this helps with keeping the torque from the drill cracking the material.

If this seems like too much work or trouble, my other suggestion would be to source suitable replacement material. Find someone that does stained glass or a stained glass supply store and take the old part and the new material to them. I guarantee that they will be able to fashion a near perfect replacement part for next to nothing. Going that route you may even be able to replace it with tempered glass even.

Anyways that is the best idea I can come up for a cost effective replacement with out doing OEM parts or gluing the stuff together.

Aaron

Okay, assuming I'm able to find/make a replacement part, how do you remove the bezel to get at the broken one? As near as I can tell, it looks like I need to remove the instrument cluster from the top triple clamp and then remove the two screws from the back of the instrument cluster. Will that do it? Should I disconnect the battery first?

Well I can't exactly answer that for you... honestly out of all the vast things I know about, Guzzi's are not really anything I know much about (YET).
Anywho I am a resourceful S.O.B. If by chance you have a Breva 750 the attached image should help. If its a 1100, well I don't have a parts catalog on PDF to grab a image for you.

Aaron
(PART NUMBER) 4 Protezione Protection - - - - 32761810 1

Unfortunately, on the large Breva/Norge, the dashboard is one sealed unit.

Rob, its called EMA Plastic Weld
EMA Model Supplies
Unit 2 Shepperton Business Park
Govett Avenue
Shepperton
TW17 8BA
01932 228228

But try your local model shop.

It contains Dichloromethane.

One of our number as recently posted an excellent report with photos attched showing how to dismantle the clocks, I think it was due to water ingress in this case.
Do a search of the forum, its quite useful.

Back