• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Dunlop Roadsmart Mileage and impressions

pikehk

Tuned and Synch'ed
The old wearbars are now prominently displayed on my Roadsmarts after 7500 miles. I have to say I am impressed with the mileage. I never had anything but confident handling the entire time I have had them. I never felt that they had lost any grip from new to now deceased.

My Mileage was 3500 miles of traveling twisties and backroads. With the other 4000 coming from commuting on the interstate and surface streets. The last 1000 miles or so they began to square off and now there is a definite flat spot in the middle. The last 300 miles on the tires was spent at 90 to 100 mph on the interstate and they never gave me any problems. I did not have many rainy day rides on them, but when I did I never thought twice about them. They also handle ok in the dirt and gravel, as I found out this past weekend.

The front tire can be had anywhere from 109 to 125 and the rears from 135 to 165 It just all depend on how you do your shopping. My next set is going to be 120 for the front and 145 for the rear. From the price alone your are saving a good bit over the Michelin Roads. I have no problem recommending them to anyone Dunlop did a great job on these.

Good report Jay...

I too am thinking of the Roadsmarts over the Metzler Z6's... I like the Z6's well enough however, when they square off they go quickly. Hopefully the RS's will hold up a bit longer... I'll give these a try.

There has been a longer report by a fellow in Arkansas that broke the wear down into twisty road type rides and commute as you did although the actual out come things got a little cloudy as to which tire really performed best, in the end it was a wash and left me wanting for a real conclusion.

One last comment is that I run the Z6's fairly hard, a little higher than the recommended 41 rear and 36 front. Did you stick to those inflation rates... pun intended... ;)

Thanks for the info on these,
Rob

I ran Moto Guzzi's recommended 36/41 front to rear. Seemed to work fine. I don't know if they handle better than the Michelins, but I got a lot better feel with them than the Metzelers.

I've seen the same impressions reported from Guzzisti here, and they correspond with mine.

I do notice though that the chicken strips are developing a sort of sheen that doesn't look to reassuring. (And indeed, I have a little bit of a hard time leaning ever since I lost the front last winter :S )

I've had a set of Roadsmarts on the B11 for about 3500 miles, they seem great so far. I always got on ok with the Z6 too though, I once had a Bridgestone BT020 on the bike and did not think it suited the Breva very well, I hated it in the wet too.

I'm on my second set on the Norge. Only got 6500 miles out of the first set, but the strangely it was the front that was worn out. Probably had another 1000 left on the rear but just went ahead and replaced both as I had a trip coming up.

I really like the handling with the Roadsmarts. MUCH better than the Z6's that came on the bike. An the rear wore very evenly and stayed round to the bitter end. The front, not quite so much, but still better than the Z6 when worn. I would like to find a compatible front to go with the Roadsmart Rear. I'm thinking of trying a Continental Road Attack on the front if this one wears out before the rear.

I got 10,000+ miles out of the original rear tire and 13,000+ out of the original front. I'm impressed with that kind of mileage so I will probably be sticking to the Z6s. I just received my new front Z6 for $112.00 including free shipping and I'll be changing/balancing it myself in a couple of weeks. My only complaint with the Z6 rear is the lack of a center grove to let you know when it's toast before you start seeing the metal belts.

I put new Roadsmarts on my Norge this morning and spent part of the afternoon scrubbing them in for an early morning trip tomorrow. The Z6s I had removed had 7200 miles on them - the rear was showing less than 1/32 on the inner most tread points. The front still looked pretty good, but since I was changing brands and took the whole bike in rather than just the wheels, I didn't keep the old front. Initial impression is that the bike feels lighter when going into a turn. I'm curious to see how they feel once I get a little wear on them and can push it a bit.
jdg

azccj wrote:
I got 10,000+ miles out of the original rear tire and 13,000+ out of the original front. I'm impressed with that kind of mileage so I will probably be sticking to the Z6s. I just received my new front Z6 for $112.00 including free shipping and I'll be changing/balancing it myself in a couple of weeks. My only complaint with the Z6 rear is the lack of a center grove to let you know when it's toast before you start seeing the metal belts.

jazcc,
That is outstanding mileage for the Z6, no way I can get that... Or have gotten that, I have used three sets so far.

I watch air pressure very carefully, balance the tires when I put them on and I ride a mixture of roads, twisty stuff and freeway/commute surfaces.

Where did you find the tires so reasonably priced...? Same price on Roadsmarts...? :)

Thanks,
Rob

Some will remember I got almost 21000km out of my original Z6s. At that point, I had enough tread left, esp. on the front ... but very weird profiles (not just flattened on the rear, and not a V on the front), so I had both changed for the Roadsmarts I still have.

radguzzi wrote:
azccj wrote:

jazcc,
That is outstanding mileage for the Z6, no way I can get that... Or have gotten that, I have used three sets so far.

I watch air pressure very carefully, balance the tires when I put them on and I ride a mixture of roads, twisty stuff and freeway/commute surfaces.

Where did you find the tires so reasonably priced...? Same price on Roadsmarts...? :)

Thanks,
Rob

I got the tire from these guys. Best price I could find on the net http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/1/ ... -Tire.aspx

FWIW... The original Z6's on my Norge were replace with RoadSmarts prior to the National in 2009 (since I was riding from TN to CA and back). The RoadSmart set was replaced at 8500 miles and the front was pretty shot. Yeah, I could have gotten another 1k or so from the rear but I just like to replace these things in sets. No issues at all with the RS's even in East TN Gravel Mud about 3 weeks ago.

I'm now running, based on someones suggestion, Z6 front, RoadSmart Rear. Feel and handling, so far (<500 miles) has been very good. Looking forward to see what the long term effects will be.

The RoadSmarts are great tires!

Rick in TN

I'm still on the original Metzeler M3 on the 1200 Sport, but did have Z6's on the R1200R which I got 6500 miles on before replacing them with Dunlop Roadsmarts. The Roadsmarts have 4700 miles on them and the wear bars are showing so they will have to go soon. I even tried to treat them nice for the first thousand or so. I really prefer the feel of the Dunlop but can't deal with the mileage, guess I will try Pilot Road 2 next. I ride 2up almost always and the roads here are tight leading to lots of throttle and brake usage.

I've read some very positive feedback concerning Conti Road Attacks, too. The dual-compound aspect is mostly interesting for people who ride on lots of straight roads. They might even have to go early due to uneven wear in cases where "normal" tyres would show regular wear without flattening!

Back