• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Breva 1100 Inmmobiliser Antenna or Dashboard problem DSB 04

Xavier-Sanchez

Just got it firing!
Fff

Hello everyone,

I hope everybody is doing well

1 month ago I bought a Moto Guzzi Breva 1100 with 500 miles from a friend. With the 2 original keys (I think they are original). And the factory user code was 00000, I changed it to my own code without problem.

The motorcycle had the service light ON all the time and I decided to change the engine oil, transmission oil and gearbox oil. All good no problems.

Also I restarted the service in the menu. And it seemed all good for a couple of days

Every time I turn on the bike with either of the 2 keys, it almost always asks for the user code. If not, don't let me turn it on. Sometimes it wouldn't ask for the code, like 5% of the times

I found out, in online forums, that the bike is not supposed to ask for the code every time the motorcycle starts.

When the motorcycle asks for it, but still lets you start the motorcycle without the code, it is like a reminder to change the code (not my case)

The problems I have are the following:
I tried to register "new keys" to see if with that the motorcycle wouldn’t ask anymore for the code to start the bike .

After that the dashboard entered a state from which it does not exit
1- Moto Guzzi logo welcome
2- Insert 1st key
3- the screen is paid after 2-3 seconds
4- go back to step number 1

I think it could be 2 things
1- inmmobiliser (antenna) that does not recognize the key
2- dashboard

Before doing that I saw into Menu-errors
ECU- none
DSB-04 referring to the inmmobiliser

I already bought online on motorcyclespareparts.eu a new antenna-inmmobiliser, but it comes from Europe, I don't know how long it will takes to arrive to Florida , USA. I've been reading on forums and they say that maybe it's the dashboard.

I am almost certain that the dashboard has some water inside because I have a stain in the center that does not allow me to read well. I haven’t opened the dashboard yet.

I have already cleaned with a contact cleaning spray almost all the plugs and assemblies including the main connector of the dashboard

Last question. Anyone know how to remove the inmmobilizer antenna step by step? I think there are 2 ways.
1- It has 2 Philips screws, the inmmobilizer part on the top (one is difficult to remove due to space)
2- disassembling the entire switch from below but it seems that it has a security screw. Is it necessary to break it with some dremel?

Thank you all very much for your time and possible help. Have a nice day everyone.

I have just acquired another Breva 1100 and changed the old user code back to 00000, this is so if I sell it there will be no confusion for the new owner, however i have now noticed that once i replaced the code with 00000 I get the alert to "change the user code". I think it doesn't like all zero's. The bike starts and runs fine. I think I will change the code to the last 5 digits of the VIN. So just check that you did successfully change the code.

I forget to mention that the battery is about 4 months old. and if I disconnect the main plug on the back of the dashboard, the motorcycle starts without problems

I’m sorry.
After that the dashboard entered a state from which it does not exit
1- Moto Guzzi logo welcome
2- Insert 1st key
3- the screen is off for 2-3 seconds
4- go back to step number 1

Yes. It's called "The Service Manual" which is available to contributors to the site, in the DOWNLOADS section.
Get it!
You will be amazed at what you can accomplish on your own with a Service Manual and some reading.
I just donate and downloaded the service manual for breva 1100 1.0 thanks!

Yes. It's called "The Service Manual" which is available to contributors to the site, in the DOWNLOADS section.

Get it!

You will be amazed at what you can accomplish on your own with a Service Manual and some reading.
I didn’t find how to remove el inmmobiliser or antena on the Service manual.

Any idea? Thank you so much for your time Scott

In the service manual, in the Electrics section, it informs you that the immobilizer antenna is integrated into the ignition key lock. It is an assembly which they show you a drawing of, with a single plug. The manual presumes that you have a functional know how of how to unbury and remove the ignition switch.

Chapter 5, specifically the part of 5.2. ADJUSTING BEARING PLAY, shows you how to remove the steering head and gain access to the ignition key bottom.

You are never going to find a European Bike Service Manual with a STEP BY STEP anything. They are not written for amateurs, but rather professionals. If you are going to work on your own equipment, you are going to have to read and learn and look carefully at a service manual page by page to familiarize yourself with what is there, rather than a quick search or 2 minute page glance.

You also say that you have bough an antenna from Europe? I'm not sure what you think you bought because the Breva Parts Manual, also in the DOWNLOADS section, give a part number for the ignition assembly. There are no individual components shown or available. A quick internet search of the part number gives you this picture for example which confirms what is listed in the Service Manual. It also shows you what the 2 original keys look like. One all black, one fancy image one.

S l500

However,

This being said, I doubt that your problem is related to the ignition switch or the immobilizer.

Almost always, without fail, Italian bike immobilizer misreads or issues are related to battery condition. I have consistently found this to be the case.

You say that your battery is only 4 months old, but depending upon how it has been maintained, and the current state that it is in, is critical to the function of this system.

Unless you have the battery LOAD TESTED, not read with a volt meter but LOAD TESTED, you cannot rule out the battery.

Also, you state you have 2 keys but you are unsure if they are the original keys or not. There is the procedure for reprogramming the keys to the bike's ECU in the service manual.

If after verifying that the battery is indeed totally up to par, then I would investigate reprogramming the keys to the bike and see if your issue solves. I have used this before with great success.

First though, I'd be willing to bet that your battery will not survive passing a load test and you will discover this is the proximate cause of your issues.

Any local major auto parts store will test the battery for free in most cities in the USA.

Good Luck!

Let us know what you find out.

Last edited:
In the service manual, in the Electrics section, it informs you that the immobilizer antenna is integrated into the ignition key lock. It is an assembly which they show you a drawing of, with a single plug. The manual presumes that you have a functional know how of how to unbury and remove the ignition switch.

Chapter 5, specifically the part of 5.2. ADJUSTING BEARING PLAY, shows you how to remove the steering head and gain access to the ignition key bottom.

You are never going to find a European Bike Service Manual with a STEP BY STEP anything. They are not written for amateurs, but rather professionals. If you are going to work on your own equipment, you are going to have to read and learn and look carefully at a service manual page by page to familiarize yourself with what is there, rather than a quick search or 2 minute page glance.

You also say that you have bough an antenna from Europe? I'm not sure what you think you bought because the Breva Parts Manual, also in the DOWNLOADS section, give a part number for the ignition assembly. There are no individual components shown or available. A quick internet search of the part number gives you this picture for example which confirms what is listed in the Service Manual. It also shows you what the 2 original keys look like. One all black, one fancy image one.

View attachment 22541

However,

This being said, I doubt that your problem is related to the ignition switch or the immobilizer.

Almost always, without fail, Italian bike immobilizer misreads or issues are related to battery condition. I have consistently found this to be the case.

You say that your battery is only 4 months old, but depending upon how it has been maintained, and the current state that it is in, is critical to the function of this system.

Unless you have the battery LOAD TESTED, not read with a volt meter but LOAD TESTED, you cannot rule out the battery.

Also, you state you have 2 keys but you are unsure if they are the original keys or not. There is the procedure for reprogramming the keys to the bike's ECU in the service manual.

If after verifying that the battery is indeed totally up to par, then I would investigate reprogramming the keys to the bike and see if your issue solves. I have used this before with great success.

First though, I'd be willing to bet that your battery will not survive passing a load test and you will discover this is the proximate cause of your issues.

Any local major auto parts store will test the battery for free in most cities in the USA.

Good Luck!

Hi Scott, thank you again for you time checking in my post.

I will take the battery pray to an a Advance auto parts and possible to a second opinion on a Napa to do the Load Test.

I just upload a video on YouTube and I posted the link in here.

The inmmobiliser the I just bought from Europe is just the upper side is the ignition switch . As I can see, it have 2 Phyllis screws on the rope side of the switch

F7660797 CB17 4E73 9338 39CB6CF0ED1E 93E4D7D3 BCC0 4034 A533 4AC8E27AF34A D7CB78FB BBAE 4BBB BBB8 D83292BFB2EA

DC928A06 1EC9 4861 8D1B C619B857FFAA

View attachment 22541

However,

Good Luck!

I tried to leave the motorcycle all the night more than 12h with the battery disconnect.
Also I tried the same thing last night but with the key inserted and with the ignition switch on the ON position to try to reboot or discharge the capacitors and reboot the dashboard, but still the same.

Today I took the battery to 3 different auto shop to the check it
1st place said the the battery is dying
2nd place said the battery is good. Maybe just need some charge
3rd place said that the battery is good but maybe need charge, it shows on the machine 12.2v and the guy told me that it should be on 12.9v. So I left the battery charging for about 4hours

Do anyone knows if is possible to reboot the dashboard, so I can skip the message that ask for insert the 1st key and star over?

As I said before, I tried to leave the motorcycle all the night more than 12h with the battery disconnect.
Also I tried the same thing last night but with the key inserted and with the ignition switch ON to try to reboot or discharge the capacitors and reboot the dashboard, but still the same.

6807E167 35BA 4E2F A1DC 173D07A664F2 I also noticed today when I unplugged the main connector on the dashboard board and plug it back. And also when I unplugged both terminals on the battery and plug it back.

This message in the dashboard “APSN 0002”

I don’t know if it is normal or if it is related with the problem that I have

View attachment 22553

I tried to leave the motorcycle all the night more than 12h with the battery disconnect.
Also I tried the same thing last night but with the key inserted and with the ignition switch on the ON position to try to reboot or discharge the capacitors and reboot the dashboard, but still the same.

Today I took the battery to 3 different auto shop to the check it
1st place said the the battery is dying
2nd place said the battery is good. Maybe just need some charge
3rd place said that the battery is good but maybe need charge, it shows on the machine 12.2v and the guy told me that it should be on 12.9v. So I left the battery charging for about 4hours
Unfortunately, the world is full of people who don’t know what they are doing.

I’m sorry you cannot seem to get a straight answer from those people but they don’t know what they are doing.

A proper battery test looks like this.

A0BFB5BD BBE1 4CAD BF3E EF17EC5EAF01

SOC = State of Charge

SOH = State of Health

Internal R = Internal Resistance

This Internal Resistance value is the most critical because it tells you the health of the plates themselves.

Voltage tells you two things only - Is the battery accepting voltage, and to what surface voltage level?

You can have 13.8 surface volts and still have a bad battery with internal resistance greater than 30 milli-Ohms.

I’ve written about discharging to a ground state and you complete this by clamping the positive and negative battery cables together and turning the key on. Leave it like this for 1 hour and all volatile capacitor and dash memory will be erased.

One more time..

It’s not about voltage. You can have “surface voltage” that reads fine. It’s about the State of Health of the plates.

Hi everyone,

After 26 hours since I disconnected the battery and left both terminals +- together with a pliers, I didn’t see any difference, so it didn’t work.

Also I tried to jump the motorcycle with my car’s battery and I didn’t notice any difference, everything looks the same.

I’m pretty sure that the battery is good because if I disconnect the main connector behind the dashboard and the bike starts right away without any problem.

I think my only hope at this point is to wait for the new inmmobiliser (antenna) and see if it can read the key. this is very frustrating

Hopefully the inmmobiliser will arrive this week

Back