• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Well, it was going so well.

Oldman

Tuned and Synch'ed
GT Contributor
V7iii, 6 months old, 12000 km. Just driven north from Andalucía to Scotland and back though France with a 10k service in UK. Crossed the Pyrenees today and just inside Spain battery died. Just completely flat. No voltmeter with me but I suspect the charging system. Will try to bump start it tomorrow and head to a dealer. I have read most of the 16 page thread on this forum about regulators at over 15 V, my question is, 'Was the regulator issue fixed for the V7iii?' Thanks for any advice or sympathy! It was all going so well too!

V7iii, 6 months old, 12000 km. Just driven north from Andalucía to Scotland and back though France with a 10k service in UK. Crossed the Pyrenees today and just inside Spain battery died. Just completely flat. No voltmeter with me but I suspect the charging system. Will try to bump start it tomorrow and head to a dealer. I have read most of the 16 page thread on this forum about regulators at over 15 V, my question is, 'Was the regulator issue fixed for the V7iii?' Thanks for any advice or sympathy! It was all going so well too!
The regulator on the 17+ models, 7 & 9 have been decent. It's the stator that gives up first (covered here using a search) when it comes to charging it seems, that is, beyond the new lifespan of AGM batteries (~2 years). Hope that helps.

The regulator on the 17+ models, 7 & 9 have been decent. It's the stator that gives up first (covered here using a search) when it comes to charging it seems, that is, beyond the new lifespan of AGM batteries (~2 years). Hope that helps.
Thanks for this. I read about the stators but I thought their failure was consequential on something else going wrong. I do hope it is not that I am halfway up the pyrenees!

I do hope it is not that I am halfway up the pyrenees!
I hope not either. I would not venture out far on a 2 year old AGM battery personally, especially somewhere remote.
Did you check you fuses?

I hope not either. I would not venture out far on a 2 year old AGM battery personally, especially somewhere remote.
Did you check you fuses?
Visually the fuses are fine, the battery is only 6 months old, well the bike is only 6 months old but I guess it could have spent ages in the crate

Visually the fuses are fine, the battery is only 6 months old, well the bike is only 6 months old but I guess it could have spent ages in the crate
If the bike has only been on the road for 6 months from new, my bet is on the battery.

Did you check you fuses?
So the batteries that ship with the bikes from the factory (AGM ???) only have an expected 2 year life span???? That is criminal!
I am on my 4th year of riding (2017 V7III Anniversario), almost 20K KM ridden and still on the original battery which fires up as well as on day one.

Find a cheap meter and check to see what the charging system is putting out after you charge up the battery and get it started up. Note if you unplug the head light you can get 150-200 miles out of a full battery. Also note if like mine the PADS, Guzzi computer might say it's fine even if it's not. Mine had one of three of the stators coils grounding out and worked when it felt like it. It's a common battery so you should be able to get one in most places and with two of them make it home.

So the batteries that ship with the bikes from the factory (AGM ???) only have an expected 2 year life span???? That is criminal!
I am on my 4th year of riding (2017 V7III Anniversario), almost 20K KM ridden and still on the original battery which fires up as well as on day one.

People get different lifespans out of AGM batteries. Todd's experience in his climate is about 2 years. Others get much longer. Major issue is less and less lead is being used in the plates of these batteries. Old batteries can last a long time. When materials are cut down, the service life isn't as long as it once was. Also how the battery is maintained (charged but not over charged) has an impact.

I had to replace the battery on the V7III about 7 months or so after bringing the bike home. Of course, just after the battery warranty expired. It had mostly been stored on a battery tender during that time.

__Jason

Mine is insured 6 months out of the year and gets ridden virtually every day during that time.. Otherwise the battery is inside under a dresser, and put on the charger once a month.

Hello, so some news. As I said battery failed top of Pyrannes so I bump started it and went to MG concession in Pamplona. There they fitted a new battery, told me warranty was only 6 months and my bike 7 months and said charging system ok. I then rode 1000 km back home. Battery fully charged when installed but now 12.1 V ignition off and 11.7 ignition on. I looked at volts when charging and saw 12.3V at 3000 rpm. So I think charging no use and that is what killed my battery. I don't want to mess with the bike too much and invalidate my warranty but will have to fully charge the battery to get it to the nearest MG place for diagnosis. I absolutely buy the fact that PADS alone will not diagnose this but once the connectors are exposed a voltmeter ought to point to the fault.....I hope! Clearly Pamplona sent me on my way with a bike that was still faulty.

Is there an easy cost efficient way to increase the load capacity on the bike? I have a small phone charger on mine, but would like to add some extra driving lights and maybe a heated vest as well.

Is there an easy cost efficient way to increase the load capacity on the bike? I have a small phone charger on mine, but would like to add some extra driving lights and maybe a heated vest as well.
Wouldn't swapping all the halogen bulbs out for LEDS allow you to run accessories?

Wouldn't swapping all the halogen bulbs out for LEDS allow you to run accessories?
I have already replaced all of the Bulbs with LED’s. That was one of the first changes to the bike, and it makes a huge difference as far as visibility is concerned. I’ve had friends that I ride with telling me they can see my lights for more than a block away, so that makes me feel much more visible on the road. I’m sure you’re right as far as the decrease load on the electrical system having already done that. I just don’t want to go to the trouble and expense of buying a heated vest hooking it up, only to find I don’t have enough power to run it properly.

On my 17 I have LED front and rear. I can run a Gerbing jacket liner at 50% through the heat troller and maybe get away at 40% on Oxford grips. If I use Gerbing gloves instead I can get by with about 60% on both and that's about it. It's only rated at (I think) 268W. As I said I'm sure they pulled it from a scooter to some money. Worst part of the bike. When I got an after market stator I couldn't find anything else rated bigger. You might contact Todd and see if he found anything better.

A half decent auto electrician can rewind it for you, but I'd assume that they'd get little extra out of it. If there was room for a significant number of extra windings I expect it to be a popular upgrade.

Anyone tried it? What did you achieve?

The answer to your multiple answer question is, of course, D, all of the above.
On a good note, at least you're dealer found it and it's being covered under warranty.
Yes. It is good that I found a dealer in Pamplona who helped me on my way. It got me home and it got me to the dealer who diagnosed it correctly. Apart from me being cross with MG for 'months for part' how do I stop it just happening again?

Back