• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Breva 750 starting issues

zenzaman

Just got it firing!
Hello everybody!

I'm a new rider (two months old :D) and I have a Breva 750 (2004) with almost 14000km on the clock.
I have some issues with starting the bike... It always starts a bit hard when cold in the morning (and by cold I mean above 15 degrees Celsius) and I've even had to help it with the choke on multiple occasions. It will always start very easy after it has reached normal operating temperature.
The last few days, as it's been very hot, it's been starting very, very hard after being in the sun for a couple of hours. Today for instance it took 4 tries and some throttle help to get it going.

For the time being I've only changed oils, oil filter and spark plugs but I intend to check and adjust valve clearance and replace air filter (it's at least 3 years old) as soon as I receive the ordered valve cover gaskets and filter. (I try to do all basic maintenance myself)
I know valve clearance misadjustments may lead to rough start and idle, but should I be keeping my eyes peeled for anything else?

I linked a video from today's start (4 hours in direct sun at 30-32 degrees Celsius)
dropbox.com/s/2e4ns12i3gdzvad/MG Breva 750 start after sitting in the sun.mp4?dl=0

Thank you! 🍺

We had a 2004 750 Breva. When starting cold, slowly roll open the throttle for the first start. If the bike has been sitting in the sun. The temperature sensors most likely are giving the ECU faulty information making starting difficult.

Last edited:
update: I've taken a shot to adjusting the valves' clearances. Unfortunately my flat screwdriver slipped while tightening one locking nut on one intake valve and the adjuster slit broke. I managed to adjust to 0.15 but couldn't tighten the nut very much (I'm not even sure what torque they need). Immediately after reassembly the bike started fine and super easy. The following day it also started easy but the following starts it got progressively worse (still not as bad as before adjusting). I'm thinking that either it went out of adjustment because I didn't tighten the nuts enough (not sure if that's possible so quick but thought the vibrations of the engine could put it out of adjustment), or the issue is somewhere else. Given the fact that the only other difference is the fact that I removed the tank, I'm thinking that perhaps unplugging and plugging back the fuel lines maybe had something to do with the easy first start (though I feel it's highly unlikely).

Any opinions?

BTW, I noticed that the bike either doesn't start at the first try or starts with difficulty but doesn't idle. If I attempt to start it again it will start just fine and idle okish (just under 1000rpm). But as soon as I take off the bike is jitterish as if it fuels intermittently, unless I keep it revved above 3000-3500 rpm. After it worms up a bit (500 meters or so) it starts working fine. Should I also consider some clogging of the fuel injectors? And would you recommend a diy injector cleaning with carb cleaner and a 12v battery?

DIY injector cleaning usually is a waste of time. If you have diesel shops in your area they may have ultrasonic cleaner systems that do work. Access to diagnostic software may help as you may have sensors that are not providing accurate information to the ECU. The 750 Breva must have the TPS electronically set by software (dealer PADS or similar), Hopefully the idle stop screw hasn't been disturbed. See this thread https://www.guzzitech.com/forums/th...centurion-vdsts-info-instructions.1676/page-1

I have access to an ultrasonic bath (not sure it's what and how the pros use. I'll have to google that)
I haven't messed with TPS after reading how it's done correctly, since I don't have a tester. I might just reopen the valve cover on the side with the broken screw and recheck the clearance. If it's off it might just mean that the nut was way too loose and if it's ok then I'll pay the local shop a visit and hope they won't look at the bike like I'm looking at the Higgs Boson :D (being a MG. Most mechanics only feel comfortable around japonese bikes)

Well, I live in a city with some 170000 inhabitants and I've never seen a Moto Guzzi. It's true that I'm a total rookie but ever since I started moto school more than a year ago I've been paying closer attention to motorcycles. There are japanese bikes at every corner, with the odd Ducati, Triumph or Harley here and there but that's about it. And although the mechanics and principles behind all bikes should be the same, being an Alfa Romeo owner and fanboy I'm well to aware of how difficult maintenance can be some times for less than mainstream vehicles (getting spare parts as well)

You are closer to Italy than I am in the US. Go to the Factory Moto Guzzi web site and search for dealers near you. You may have to go to a neighboring country or even to an Italian dealer so don't give up on Guzzi.

I went to the Moto Guzzi web site and then to their garage. At the bottom of that page you can search by country for a dealer. I found this one in Romania.
Italian Moto Art Space SRL

Bucarest Sectorul 3, Strada CAMIL RESSU, nr 35, camera 1, Bloc N5, Scara 3, Ap 101

179169, Bucharest

Hi zenzaman,

I have the exact same bike and am encountering the same cold start issue. After a few cranks it usually starts up and once warm everything runs very smoothly. Did you end up figuring out what the problem was, or have you decided to just live with it? I've been riding for a year now but bought the Breva two weeks ago, loving it so far!

Thanks,
J

Hey, J!

For the time being I'm just living with it but for some reason it's been acting up less frequently and overall it's working fine. I did add some injector cleaner in the tank at some point but I don't think that was the miracle cure. Maybe it just needed some more miles :)

Hey, J!

For the time being I'm just living with it but for some reason it's been acting up less frequently and overall it's working fine. I did add some injector cleaner in the tank at some point but I don't think that was the miracle cure. Maybe it just needed some more miles :)
That's good to hear, I've found I can reliably start if I just give a little throttle on a cold start. Another local rider with the same bike told me that's his trick too, so I'm living with it! I guess it just gives the bike even more character than it already has 😉

That's good to hear, I've found I can reliably start if I just give a little throttle on a cold start. Another local rider with the same bike told me that's his trick too, so I'm living with it! I guess it just gives the bike even more character than it already has 😉
We used the same technique when we had a 750 Breva. It worked well. Just a slight roll up when you press the started button.

It's not even that bad. I have two friends who ride Ducatis (Scrambler and Hypermotard) and those bikes don't start easier. Maybe it's an Italian thing :D

Back