• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Oil pressure at dipstick

Alex Kowalenko

Tuned and Synch'ed
GT Contributor
Is it normal to have a bit of pressure when checking the oil after the engine is warmed up on a ‘20 Eldorado?

I went to check it immediately after riding and had to unscrew the dipstick really slow to bleed of the pressure slowly so some oil didn’t come out

You are not supposed to open it with engine running. That would be crankcase pressure, should not be much after engine is stopped. It is somewhat open to air, through the breather system.

I checked it while the engine was off and there’s enough pressure that’s it’s almost hard to unscrew

I checked it while the engine was off and there’s enough pressure that’s it’s almost hard to unscrew
Absolutely no good. Something is not venting correctly. Dealer issue if they'll be bothered.

Do you check your oil immediately after getting back from riding or do you let it sit for a few minutes?

Do you check your oil immediately after getting back from riding or do you let it sit for a few minutes?

After it sits a bit. Dipstick doesn't give me a feeling that it's very durable, super tight after initial shut-down, afraid I'll snap it off. I can't recall ever removing it immediately after riding. Several attempts, I just feel safer letting it sit for, say, a half an hour first.

Oil level is best checked after overnight cold. This allows all oil to drain to the pan, and alleviates any potential issues with snapping off the dipstick.

Thanks for all the help guys. I think part of the problem was that I was trying to check it immediately after shutting the engine off.

I would still give the breather system a once over. That level of positive crankcase pressure, even on a hot engine, seems worrisome to me. I believe there is a one-way valve on the breather that should let pressure out, but not allow the opposite flow. If you're getting that much pressure in the crankcase, I would strongly suspect that valve is either failed, or installed backwards.

Edit to add: I forgot which bike we were talking about. I'm less sure about the breather valve on the 1400, however... I still think that amount of pressure seems like a problem.

__Jason

Last edited:
For what it's worth , the manual that came with my 2018 Eldorado specifically says to check the
engine oil level when the engine is warm . It's also checked by threading the dipstick all the way
in to get the correct level . The bike must be level also . Peter

For what it's worth , the manual that came with my 2018 Eldorado specifically says to check the
engine oil level when the engine is warm . It's also checked by threading the dipstick all the way
in to get the correct level . The bike must be level also . Peter

I just double-checked my owner's manual (2016 Eldorado), says to check warm with dipstick not screwed in. Is the 2018 different?

I just double-checked my owner's manual (2016 Eldorado), says to check warm with dipstick not screwed in. Is the 2018 different?
I just investigated this and read it different in 2 manuals, THEN I looked at parts. Same part # from start to finish on the dipstick.

Now which is correct? Both are correct on what the owners manual says.

I just investigated this and read it different in 2 manuals, THEN I looked at parts. Same part # from start to finish on the dipstick.

Now which is correct? Both are correct on what the owners manual says.

I have the Audace so haven't read the Eldorado owner's manual, but I seem to recall a discussion of this topic a few years back on this very forum. The suggestion made by someone was that because owners were routinely overfilling with oil when measured using a non-screwed in dipstick, Guzzi updated the manual to state that it should be mesured after screwing in as this would lead to a higher recorded reading and less oil being added. Whether this is true is anybody's guess, but it has ring of logic to it, but if that were the case, why not update the other 1400 manuals at the same time. Of course it could all be a typo due to Luigi's left hand not knowing what Mario's right hand is doing !!!

As the old chinese proverb goes "Man with watch knows the time. Man with two watches is never quite sure".

When changing engine oil and filter it seems 3 liters puts it near the full mark screwed in .
Nothing in air box and level never varies and runs fine in 46 degree celcius weather , I on the other hand
do not work so well in that heat :) . Peter

Back