• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Stupid question: V85TT E5 crank position sensor

jwtucker

V11 Sport 4 Life
Does anyone know where this sensor is actually location on the E5 bikes?

Below is a photo for the sensor in question from the E4 service manual:

Upload 2021 6 29 13 47 29

That sensor literally does not exist on my E5 bike. You can see where the sensor *would have* been, but its not there... see photo below:
Upload 2021 6 29 13 53 53

So, any clues? I mean... the crank sensor has to be _somewhere_ right?

Thanks,

__Jason

Does anyone know where this sensor is actually location on the E5 bikes?
Man, no... they always have been to the left of side of the timing chest cover. On yours, the casting was drilled but it has a block off plate or? Please let me know where they hid it when you find it!

I don't think it was actually drilled... I think that's just the raw shape of the casting. There is no actual plate on it.

I ask because it seems that some 2021 E5 bikes are having a problem with intermittent idle problems, mine included. From what info I've been able to glean so far, it sounds like the problem has to do with cable routing, and interference between the ignition coils / cables and the crank sensor wire. I took it into the dealer last week so that they could do the necessary cable re-routing which is supposed to fix it, but... the problem persists on mine for some reason. The problem has been escalated to the mothership, but I wanted to take a look at the situation for myself and see if I could come up with any ideas in the meantime. But... I have no idea where the suspect sensor wire is. I had the tank off last week installing some fog lights, and... I still couldn't see where the sensor lives. So... I'm kind of baffled.

I wish I could get my hands on a copy of the alleged service bulletin, which... as of last week was apparently only distributed to dealers in Italy for some reason?

__Jason

@GTM® Todd, I suspect that the crank position sensor is now integrated into the generator in some way. This is a photo of the wiring coming out of my generator, and it seems to have about 2 wires more than I would expect to find there (there is a 5th wire obscured, but to the right of the red wire). 2 extra wires would seem to account for the missing crank position sensor.

Upload 2021 7 5 12 17 55

__Jason

I suspect that the crank position sensor is now integrated into the generator in some way.
Thanks Jason, and man I sure hope this is not the case. Crank signal combined with high voltage lines bathed in oil. Great idea, right? ;)

The crankshaft position sensor in oil does not bother me, but I am concerned about the wires routed with the AC power wires from the alternator (stator) since it does not look like they are shielded. So far, so good since I have a little over 1200 miles now without any misfire issues.

Thanks Jason, and man I sure hope this is not the case. Crank signal combined with high voltage lines bathed in oil. Great idea, right? ;)

@GTM Todd, get this: dealer has had my bike for a while now trying to diagnose the E5 idle surge problem. There is a service bulletin that indicates the fix is moving some wires around. They did that, no joy. So they continued to go back and forth with Piaggo on it. Last week, I spoke to them and mentioned how I suspected that the relocation of the CPS to the alternator area might be part of the problem. I was thinking that as a troubleshooting step, it might make sense to disconnect the alternator altogether and just let it run off the battery and see if the problem can be replicated.

I don't know if they actually tried that or not, BUT... just heard from them. Piaggio is saying its a fault with the stator, and they want to have it replaced.

I really wish they would have left the sensor in the original location.

__Jason

Maybe they determined the sensor is defective. The stator, sensor, and wiring that comes out through the alternator cover is all one piece on the E5 engine. I hope that fixes your idle problem.

Thanks for the update Jason. Looks like it’s being used on the new V7-850 also. And lucky us, per below, only available complete with rotor, price not showing anywhere yet (though obviously warranty for now). Part # 1A016500

62D0EBCE 570C 4DD7 B886 C241A4A1FFD6

Interesting. I was wondering if the V7-850 had the same setup yet (or the Bobber?).

I wonder if any owners of the V7-850 are reporting similar problems with idle or not? So far, I haven't noticed any reports from those folks, but a bunch of them from V85TTs. Very curious...

__Jason

Interesting. I was wondering if the V7-850 had the same setup yet (or the Bobber?).
I wonder if any owners of the V7-850 are reporting similar problems with idle or not? So far, I haven't noticed any reports from those folks, but a bunch of them from V85TTs. Very curious...
Me too. I found the pricing online in Europe for € 200.00 for the assy. Curious to see what they price at within the U.S.

I'm hoping this just ends up being a defective batch of components, limited to a particular range of VINs, but can only speculate at this point.

I do know, however, that my dealer got 2 Centenarios that had VINs that were 4 digits apart, and both have the persistent problem. The first one was meant to be my bike, but they switched it up at the last moment and issued me the 2nd one, because the 1st had problems on the test ride. The one I got only started showing the problem after I took delivery (like, on my ride home from the dealership).

__Jason

I'm hoping this just ends up being a defective batch of components, limited to a particular range of VINs, but can only speculate at this point. I do know, however, that my dealer got 2 Centenarios that had VINs that were 4 digits apart, and both have the persistent problem. The first one was meant to be my bike, but they switched it up at the last moment and issued me the 2nd one, because the 1st had problems on the test ride. The one I got only started showing the problem after I took delivery (like, on my ride home from the dealership).
OK, hope so too. Please keep us posted.
If I remember right the rotor assembly for the V7III was $600. And a POS at that!
It was... but it's now down to ~$200.

I have a (hopefully final) update on this issue. For reference, this is what the original problem looked like:

They finally got a replacement stator assembly in, and I picked up the bike yesterday. Happy to report that so far, I have NOT been able to replicate the problem at all, so I believe it's finally fixed for good. I still suspect that given this only seems to affect a small set of V85s (and apparently no other E5 bikes that share the same stator/sensor), that it probably was a bad batch of stators that went into some of the V85s that were produced around the same time (just speculating). At any rate, I'm happy that it seems to finally be fixed, although... I am perplexed as to why they made the decision to completely change the design of the tried-and-true crank position sensor. "If it ain't broke, yadda yadda yadda..."

Hopefully, others that were afflicted have already been taken care of, or are in the process of being fixed, but I just wanted to share this in case others are still fighting with it.

__Jason

And lucky us, per below, only available complete with rotor, price not showing anywhere yet (though obviously warranty for now). Part # 1A016500
Part # is *slowly* making it's way into the system (in Europe only so far), pricing is ~$235.
They finally got a replacement stator assembly in, and I picked up the bike yesterday. Happy to report that so far, I have NOT been able to replicate the problem at all, so I believe it's finally fixed for good.
Great news(!), appreciate the update here on it.

Back