• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Which is the better street bike 2021 V7 850 or V85TT ?

meloman

Just got it firing!
I’m considering buying my first Moto Guzzi (it will be my 60th bike)and initially focused on the new V7 850 as I have a Royal Enfield Himalayan for off road. The V7 850 is a beautiful bike and would replace the Royal Enfield Interceptor I just sold, But I keep looking at the V85TT because it is so unique looking and just stunning in the various color combinations. Plus it comes with bags and windshield which I would have to add to the V7 which would bring the price closer to the V85TT.
So it comes down to which bike would be a better all around street bike. I haven’t ridden either one yet since the closest dealer is 6-7 hours away and we’re in a 100+ degree heat wave and socked in with smoke from all the forest fires around us. (I’m in southern Oregon).
So while I’m waiting for everything to get back to normal, I thought I could reach out and get some feedback from any of you out there who have ridden both models.
Keep in mind that I don’t need feedback about how the V85 is off road. It would only be used on the street. If you’re a V85TT owner and have never ridden a V7, then you’re welcome to tell me the pros and cons of the bike on the street as compared to any other comparable street bikes you’ve owned. I would appreciate only hearing from people who have actual saddle time on the bikes and not general opinions from inexperienced people. Also, I want the comparison with the new V7 850 not the previous generation of V7’s as it supposedly has a much improved ride quality, better comfort and more power making it more comparable to the V85TT.
Thanks and I look forward to hearing from you guys/gals.

I own both a V7-III Stone and a V85.

The V85 is much more powerful, dual disc front brakes with ABS & traction control. I installed street tires (Michelin Road 5 Trail) on my V85 after a couple of losses of the front end. There are no drain slots in the tires for the water to escape.

The V7-III Stone now has Bridgestone B45s.

The V85 can be upgraded to include a navigation system which works well, but an expensive extra.

But if you're vertical challenged, the V85 is a tall bike, and I have had to make little changes to be able to reach the ground without a half dismount. My jeans inside leg measurement is 29 inches.

I have no experience with the new V850, yet to even view one.

Hope this helps.

I own both a V7-III Stone and a V85.

The V85 is much more powerful, dual disc front brakes with ABS & traction control. I installed street tires (Michelin Road 5 Trail) on my V85 after a couple of losses of the front end. There are no drain slots in the tires for the water to escape.

The V7-III Stone now has Bridgestone B45s.

The V85 can be upgraded to include a navigation system which works well, but an expensive extra.

But if you're vertical challenged, the V85 is a tall bike, and I have had to make little changes to be able to reach the ground without a half dismount. My jeans inside leg measurement is 29 inches.

I have no experience with the new V850, yet to even view one.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for the info. At 32” inseam It may fit me a little better. Hadn’t thought about the navigation but I am now.

I'd forget about the navigation option, it is not very useful and just connects to your phone so relies on mobile data. You can save money by just using your phone to navigate. I have it but don't use it and have fitted a proper satnav which works far better.
I also have a V7 but not the latest generation and have not ridden the new one yet.
My thoughts are, if you want a screen and bags, I'd go V85 though, seems silly to buy a (very pretty) naked bike and then bung on an ugly screen to me.

Having upgraded from a Triumph Bonnville T100, the V85TT is more fun and gives a solid ride. The Screen and panniers on the V85 travel version are excellent and the whole bike is comfortable even with a pillion. If the T100 can be compared to the V7, in terms of style and power, the V85 is the one to go for if touring is more your requirement.
I agree use a dedicated satnav, or your phone, and the cruise control on the V85 is super for those longer rides even when traveling in 30mph zones, so easy to set and reset. (don't forget those heated grips too)

FWIW, I had a 15 V7, I have a 17 V7III with reworked suspenders front and rear and all three HB bags and racks. I also have a 20 V85. The V7III gets the nod for twisty mountain roads where I really enjoy the singing Mistrl shorties on 150-200 mile days. The V85 is almost as fun but much nicer on the 300 mile days and for sure on straighter roads. It sounds like there are some deals on the 20 leftover V85's but it will be a while before there are any on the V7. I don't know if the new suspension is "good enough" or you will need better. Even without considering the extra power and cruise control the V85 might come out to the same price as the V7 if you bag it. You will be happy either way.

I'd forget about the navigation option, it is not very useful and just connects to your phone so relies on mobile data.

You miss the most important point. The information appears on the dashboard screen, with a countdown to the next two turns, with a direction indicator or roundabout detail. The mobile can be left in your pocket, (or in my case under the seat charging as the app is heavy on battery power),

or you could mount the phone on the bars, use Google maps to navigate and charge the phone off the fitted USB socket next to the dash and save £150 but if it works for you, then cool, I personally find my MIA a waste of money.

Personally, I will not mount my phone on the bars, too expensive to lose and it probably doesn't like wet weather. Also the screen is too small, and easily bumped especially with gloves.

But each to their own. On my other bikes without MIA, my preference is a Beeline, mounted on my handlebars or top yoke.

Here's a link to its operation

I have not even seen a V7 850 so I cannot compare the two bikes, but my experience with the 2021 V85TT is that it is a great street bike. It handles twisty roads very well. My Centenario came with the more street-oriented tires and they perform well on pavement. The bike is easy to "flick back and forth" on twisty paved roads and has good ground clearance. I have a BMW R1150 RS as my main street/touring motorcycle and I plan to keep it as long as I can ride. I purchased the V85TT for adventure riding because the BMW is not suitable for dirt roads. The V85TT is so good on the street that it could easily be my only bike if I did not already have the BMW. The BMW has better wind/rain protection, but the small windshield on the V85TT is adequate for what I want. The BMW has more power, but the V85TT will easily reach and cruise at triple-digit (100 mi/hr) speeds and the V85TT gets significantly better fuel mileage. The V85TT Travel comes with panniers while the Adventure and Centenario models come with the aluminum three-piece luggage set. I highly recommend the heated hand grips and the center stand for optional equipment. Some complain the accelerator grip return spring has excessive tension, but the MG heated hand grips option replaces the original accelerator handle with one that has less spring tension. Consider the differences when choosing between a left over 2020 and a 2021. 2021 has tubeless tires, additional drive-by-wire user modes (and user programming capability), and the gear position indicator works while stopped (instead of just when moving with clutch engaged on 2020 and earlier models).

I have not even seen a V7 850 so I cannot compare the two bikes, but my experience with the 2021 V85TT is that it is a great street bike. It handles twisty roads very well. My Centenario came with the more street-oriented tires and they perform well on pavement. The bike is easy to "flick back and forth" on twisty paved roads and has good ground clearance. I have a BMW R1150 RS as my main street/touring motorcycle and I plan to keep it as long as I can ride. I purchased the V85TT for adventure riding because the BMW is not suitable for dirt roads. The V85TT is so good on the street that it could easily be my only bike if I did not already have the BMW. The BMW has better wind/rain protection, but the small windshield on the V85TT is adequate for what I want. The BMW has more power, but the V85TT will easily reach and cruise at triple-digit (100 mi/hr) speeds and the V85TT gets significantly better fuel mileage. The V85TT Travel comes with panniers while the Adventure and Centenario models come with the aluminum three-piece luggage set. I highly recommend the heated hand grips and the center stand for optional equipment. Some complain the accelerator grip return spring has excessive tension, but the MG heated hand grips option replaces the original accelerator handle with one that has less spring tension. Consider the differences when choosing between a left over 2020 and a 2021. 2021 has tubeless tires, additional drive-by-wire user modes (and user programming capability), and the gear position indicator works while stopped (instead of just when moving with clutch engaged on 2020 and earlier models).

Having owned many BMW’s, I find your saying that the V85 could be your only bike if you didn’t own the BMW quite a statement. Thanks for your input.

Having upgraded from a Triumph Bonnville T100, the V85TT is more fun and gives a solid ride. The Screen and panniers on the V85 travel version are excellent and the whole bike is comfortable even with a pillion. If the T100 can be compared to the V7, in terms of style and power, the V85 is the one to go for if touring is more your requirement.
I agree use a dedicated satnav, or your phone, and the cruise control on the V85 is super for those longer rides even when traveling in 30mph zones, so easy to set and reset. (don't forget those heated grips too)

I’ve owned a Bonnie and a Thruxton so your comparison to your Bonnie was interesting. Thanks.

I’ve owned a Bonnie and a Thruxton so your comparison to your Bonnie was interesting.
Yep, I was going to keep the bonnie as a second bike, but If I walked into garage and had to choose, the V85TT would win every time. So to avoid having to clean two bikes and maintain the chain on the bonnie (A job I use to hate doing) I said goodbye to the bonnie. No regrets to date :)

I’m considering buying my first Moto Guzzi (it will be my 60th bike)and initially focused on the new V7 850 as I have a Royal Enfield Himalayan for off road. The V7 850 is a beautiful bike and would replace the Royal Enfield Interceptor I just sold, But I keep looking at the V85TT because it is so unique looking and just stunning in the various color combinations. Plus it comes with bags and windshield which I would have to add to the V7 which would bring the price closer to the V85TT.
So it comes down to which bike would be a better all around street bike. I haven’t ridden either one yet since the closest dealer is 6-7 hours away and we’re in a 100+ degree heat wave and socked in with smoke from all the forest fires around us. (I’m in southern Oregon).
So while I’m waiting for everything to get back to normal, I thought I could reach out and get some feedback from any of you out there who have ridden both models.
Keep in mind that I don’t need feedback about how the V85 is off road. It would only be used on the street. If you’re a V85TT owner and have never ridden a V7, then you’re welcome to tell me the pros and cons of the bike on the street as compared to any other comparable street bikes you’ve owned. I would appreciate only hearing from people who have actual saddle time on the bikes and not general opinions from inexperienced people. Also, I want the comparison with the new V7 850 not the previous generation of V7’s as it supposedly has a much improved ride quality, better comfort and more power making it more comparable to the V85TT.

Well I pulled the trigger on the V7 850 Centenario. It was a tough decision but when my wife questioned why would I have two adventure bikes, it tipped the scales to the V7. It’s my 61st bike and the only one I’ve ever bought without even throwing a leg over it. Only photos and videos. Anxiously awaiting delivery from Pro Italia in Glendale CA. They were great to work with.

Congratulations!

I always say , “Ride what you love so that you will love what you ride!”.

I think you are going to have a blast.:)

Congratulations, you will enjoy it. The Centenario color scheme looks even better in real life than in web site photos. I saw a V7 Stone Centenario at my dealer, but did not consider it because I already knew I wanted the V85TT. I did not realize it was an 850 so I did not think I had seen a V7 850 until seeing your post saying you bought a Centenario.

Last edited:
Whatever one you choose. They are both nice bikes. I am elderly now and just purchased a 2021 V7 850 Special as well as a 2022 V85TT Travel; I am only 5’7” so I had to have the dealer install a hyperpro 1 inch suspension lowering kit as well as remove the bumpers under the seat to get the ride height acceptable for me; the V 85 is a bit top-heavy, especially with a full tank of gas and maneuvering it in stationary positions is a bit of a task for me as far as the on road experience with the V85TT. It feels very light once you’re off and running, and very nimble and seems more planted and confidence inspiring than the V7 850; saying that the V7 850 is still a pleasure to ride; the V85TT is just a step up in options as well as performance and handling. thanks, John

Hello; I own a 2021 V7 850 Special as well as a 2022 V85 Travel; they both offer a somewhat different riding experience; V85 feels much more planted and has better braking and power; and being the travel edition, comes with quite a few extras, including luggage, TPMS, MIA/GPS, heated grips, cruise control, centerstand, taller windscreen; being 5’7” 29 inch inseam I had the dealer install the Hyperpro 1 inch suspension lowering kit and remove the rubber bumpers under the seat, which makes it about the same seat height as the V7. Also added thicker soles to riding shoes; that being said; the V7 is very . enjoyable much more compact, better for shorter rides has good power and suspension on the newer edition. I also added Mistral slipon and Rizoma mirrors to give it a better look as well as sound, and no ECU update needed. I’m fortunate enough to have both; but if I had to have just one it would have to be the V85. Take Care; John.

Attachments

• IMG_7095.jpeg
    IMG_7095.jpeg
    152.7 KB · Views: 8
Back