• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

V7-850 Evap and Tip Info

Any reason why the hose from the tank to the canister can't be left open, then plug the hose from the Canister back to the intake manifold and leave the electronic valve in place so it doesn't throw an error code?

I've experienced the pressure/vacuum build-up on my tank and that means to me it's not venting to neutral pressure very well. I have other bikes with the evap canister system still intact that don't build pressure.

For now I removed the spring in the gas cap as a quicky fix/test. But I'd prefer to put the spring back in and vent the line to air.

I ended up removing the spring instead of removing the cannister. I am noticing a quicker engine turnover with a slight press of the ignition button. The weather has cooled up here, so I can't really do any further testing. What exactly is the science behind the spring? What's the negative impact of removing it?

I ended up removing the spring instead of removing the cannister. I am noticing a quicker engine turnover with a slight press of the ignition button. The weather has cooled up here, so I can't really do any further testing. What exactly is the science behind the spring? What's the negative impact of removing it?
It's much simpler, the downside is that you may possibly smell some gasoline vapors.

Mike, if you want to keep the canister I might suggest removing the on the bottom of the electronic valve and capping that as I've shown in my post. Leave the hose in position, or zip tie as needed. Then remove the other non-electric valve from the bottom of the tank vent line and leave it in position, maybe zip tie as needed, but leaving the tank vent line open. Both of these locations are easily accessible by removing the left side cover and plastic starter motor cover.

The allen wrench under the seat will work for both covers. This would make it easier to both do the needed capping/uncapping and putting it back to stock if need be. It' much easier to reach these locations then working under the bike where the canister is.

Hello my friend,

I fasing also issues with the throttle around 3500 and 4000 rpm and my conclusion is poor mixture and since here in Greece we are over 32 degrees all the summer this symptoms are continuously. Can you confirm improved behaviour of the engine with the disconnection of the canister.

Thank you

Alexandros

I'm happy to confirm that for you too, Alexandros. Disconnecting the canister eliminated the hiccup immediately. Google V7 850 hiccup for more reading.

Sarah

This is new territory, as I haven't seen a V7-850 quite yet. It looks like they finally stepped up and put a quality (Bosch) valve on! I'd say leave it, otherwise yes, you'd likely get a CEL.
The big reason for gutting or removing the plastic orange/blue valve was because they failed often, causing tank pressurization.

Todd, so bottom line, we need to keep the line the line that goes to the tank from this two colored valve? I'm taking it is the Vent line to the fuel tank then? OK, I'll first modify the valve as you mention but then run a long line to the back of the bike so that IF fuel ever comes out of it, there is no chance of a fire... TY

If fuel does get into the cannister due to overfill, does that raw fuel get burned eventually? or is the cannister kaput

My 2021 850 Special was experiencing the typical “cutout” issue we have all historically described. My Moto Guzzi dealer mechanic actually called last week and without saying the exact words, encouraged me to pursue the EVAP mod which he said came from their discussion with Italy. Finally had time to deal with mine today. I prefer to do mechanic’ing so things don’t appear like a hack job. So, for my mod, I drilled out the check valve then reinstalled. For the vacuum hose, I made a 5/16” diameter 3/8” long metal slug for a plug. Inserted the slug in the hose 1 inch above the Bosch vent valve, then reconnected that hose to vent valve and reinstalled the factory clamps. All this to say, my system "appears" stock, but functions per the modification. Lastly, as expected, it cured the engine “cutout” issue.

EDA3C023 D0A8 4F89 88C2 426492745D5F 84B989DD A7AE 40B5 B2F8 886E8991C8A2 011C170D F071 428C AD7B 254926618C29 DEB48029 0CAD 43F7 8188 7AC8A1E94F99

Thanks for posting. I haven't gotten the time to dig into one yet. The grey/green valve pops apart with a little heat, and can be easily/affectively gutted and snapped backed together. It's documented on the other V7 Evap thread.
Let us know if you get the Check Engine Light (CEL).

Thanks for posting. I haven't gotten the time to dig into one yet. The grey/green valve pops apart with a little heat, and can be easily/affectively gutted and snapped backed together. It's documented on the other V7 Evap thread.
Let us know if you get the Check Engine Light (CEL).
Rode it to work yesterday (10 miles one way). Left the plug in place and no check engine light. Guessing that as long as the valve is still plugged in, the ECU won’t know the difference, valve actuates when told to, but doesn't DO anything FOR the EVAP system. As everyone has already indicated, engine runs GREAT compared to pre-mod.

Left the plug in place and no check engine light. Guessing that as long as the valve is still plugged in, the ECU won’t know the difference, valve actuates when told to, but doesn't DO anything FOR the EVAP system.
Very good, the SAS system is a bit more (somehow) smarter. Plugging it on the V85TT and 1400 gives a CEL. Ride on, enjoy!

I did the evap removal and the SAS block off kit on my 2021 V7850 Special. I used the SAS block off kit listed for the V7III and had no issues. Bike runs great, don't understand the 'pigtail' concerns, supplied pigtail for the V7III kit plugged right in and as I mentioned, my V7850 responded beautifully to these mods. Also, my 850 is running Mistral shorty mufflers and K&N filter. Fueling is spot on, no popping on decel, smooth and linear throttle response throughout rev range. Bike has 2,000 miles on it now and these mods were made at about 1,000 miles. Maybe I'm just lucky?

note - leave the Bosch valve thing connected electrically or you'll get the CEL. I disconnected the 'in' and the 'out' hoses to that valve and capped the now open fittings with vacuum caps.

I did the evap removal and the SAS block off kit on my 2021 V7850 Special. I used the SAS block off kit listed for the V7III and had no issues. Bike runs great, don't understand the 'pigtail' concerns, supplied pigtail for the V7III kit plugged right in and as I mentioned, my V7850 responded beautifully to these mods.
Note - leave the Bosch valve thing connected electrically or you'll get the CEL. I disconnected the 'in' and the 'out' hoses to that valve and capped the now open fittings with vacuum caps.
Thanks for posting. So the pump that pulls the air from the lines is different from the Bosch pump then, correct? My pigtail plugged in, and no CEL? I would note to leave the Bosch pump connected, so thanks for confirming that as well.

Sorry for the late reply - internet was down all of yesterday...and most of today.

Not sure what you are referring to as the 'Bosch' pump ... but if it's that gadget that sits on top of the engine below the tank, with the two hoses going to the reed valves and the longer hose going to the air box (?) ... that gadget is outwardly identical on both the V7III 750 and the V7 850, with the exception of a number stamped on it. The V7III is stamped '917 0998' and the 850 '0Y6 0355'. I have no idea if this is a part number or what.

The only item that is actually marked 'Bosch' is that valve that is part of the evap system and is inserted in the hose between the charcoal canister and the intake to the throttle body. That is listed as part # B018242 in the V7 850 parts catalog. And, that valve has an electrical connection that must remain or you'll get the CEL light if you run the engine with that disconnected. (I know, I did it ... but after I reconnected it and rode a few miles and performed 5 or 6 restarts of the engine, the fault cleared itself). So, I removed all the other evap related stuff just as I did on my V7III with the exception of that Bosch valve ... I removed the hoses on each side of that valve and capped both sides with vacuum caps and left the valve in place and electrically connected. That Bosch valve is visible in the bottom picture of the first post on this thread

The bike runs great with those mods I listed above, unfortunately I haven't been able to ride for weeks now with this cold weather, it's been in the teens and low twenties for weeks here.

Not sure what you are referring to as the 'Bosch' pump ... but if it's that gadget that sits on top of the engine below the tank, with the two hoses going to the reed valves and the longer hose going to the air box (?) ... that gadget is outwardly identical on both the V7III 750 and the V7 850,
The Bosch valve (shown clearly in post #1 above) is different from the “SAS pump” - thanks for confirming that the SAS pump is the same. So @FedeleMotoGuzzi - you are all set with what was sent. Please carefully peruse the SAS thead and video I have on YouTube.

The Bosch valve (shown clearly in post #1 above) is different from the “SAS pump” - thanks for confirming that the SAS pump is the same. So @FedeleMotoGuzzi - you are all set with what was sent. Please carefully peruse the SAS thead and video I have on YouTube.
Waiting for rain. Those are the days I try to do my bench or garage work, including the SAS mod. Will report back here once completed and post test runs.

My 2021 850 Special was experiencing the typical “cutout” issue we have all historically described. My Moto Guzzi dealer mechanic actually called last week and without saying the exact words, encouraged me to pursue the EVAP mod which he said came from their discussion with Italy. Finally had time to deal with mine today. I prefer to do mechanic’ing so things don’t appear like a hack job. So, for my mod, I drilled out the check valve then reinstalled. For the vacuum hose, I made a 5/16” diameter 3/8” long metal slug for a plug. Inserted the slug in the hose 1 inch above the Bosch vent valve, then reconnected that hose to vent valve and reinstalled the factory clamps. All this to say, my system "appears" stock, but functions per the modification. Lastly, as expected, it cured the engine “cutout” issue.

View attachment 24140View attachment 24141View attachment 24142View attachment 24143
Thanks for this post. Trying to sort out the hiccup today. What would happen if you didn’t drill out the check/breather valve? Couldn’t one just take this part out and put a connect?

View attachment 24140View attachment 24141View attachment 24142View attachment 24143
Thank you! Worked like a charm!!!

Thank you! Worked like a charm!!!
I see you got the results you were after! To answer your question about the dual colored valve, @GTM® says these valves can be warmed up a bit and the two halves separated then gutted. I drilled mine out “just because”. However, as you probably discovered, the drill bit immediately bites into these guts and the guts start spinning inside the valve. Requires just a tad bit of persuasion to push through.

Glad you are enjoying the benefits. This is a GREAT site hosted by serious experience!

Enjoy!

Last edited:
Back