• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Questions re the V85TT that I need help with - please

Biggus Dickus

Just got it firing!
G'day from Oz ( Australia ) !

I'm very close to purchasing a V85TT down here - and I'd like to ask a couple of questions of you all - please

Even though I'm 6'/183cms tall ( and 150Kgs ) - ( I'm rather large - and my name IS "Richard" - hence the "Biggus Dickus" nickname ) - I was rather shocked to have a sit on a V85TT a few days ago - and found the seat much higher than I had expected it to be ...
Looking at the front end - it LOOKS LIKE the fork outers can be slid UPWARDS within the triple trees - thereby lowering the front end height ... Yes ?!?

But - What is available to lower the rear end ?????

Someone said "Get the seat sculpted and lowered in height by a trimmer" - but ... it doesn't LOOK LIKE there's much padding within the seat TO SCULPT in the first place !?!

Someone else suggested getting the rear shock absorber "rebuilt" and shortened - to lower the rear end down .... but this seems a bit harsh to me ................... surely there must be some way to drop the back end down ... Yes ???

And my LAST Question(s) is / are :

Has anyone removed the catalytic converter and opened up the muffler / swapped the muffler for something a bit "meatier sounding" ?!?
"Agostini Mufflers" have been mentioned to me by some other Guzzi owners .........

Anyone go any advice on "Better Breathing / Exhaust sound" ?!?!? ...
and DO I NEED to get the computer "adjusted" for the better air flow / altered air/fuel ratio if I do these mods

Many Thanks in advance on any helpful information !!!

Ciao !

Biggus

Welcome Biggus.
Check the store link at the top of the page for exhaust and fueling mods. Yes fueling modification is needed as they run very lean.
What year are you looking at?

P.S. My wife calls me Biggus Dickus. Monty Python reference. I'm tall and I act like a dick. Not a statement of anything anatomical.

Last edited:
Welcome Biggus.
Check the store link at the top of the page for exhaust and fueling mods. Yes fueling modification is needed as they run very lean.
What year are you looking at?

P.S. My wife calls me Biggus Dickus. Monty Python reference. I'm tall and I act like a dick. Not a statement of anything anatomical.

MANY THANKS Raven !

I'll be looking to purchase a 2021 or I might even wait for a 2022 ...... I'm not in a HUGE hurry as I have a 2017 Indian Vintage Chief as my regular ride ........ I like the V85TT as a "Medium sized bike with good off road ability" .... and I rather like the somewhat quirky look of the Mojave Red / White / Yellow as well ...
( Plus a few friends have various Guzzi's and are very pleased with them - also
The friends are the ones who suggested looking in to the "Removing the catalytic converter and possibly fitting a less restrictive muffler to help let the engine breathe better )

I will certainly have a good scour for threads along these lines in previous posts - thanks !

Yes - being rather large ( pretty much all my life - 6Kgs at birth as my mother used to REMIND me of - regularly ) - I was always called
Big D _ _ k .... and THEN Monty Pythons'"Life of Brian" came out - and my fate was sealed ! ... I've been Biggus Dickus ever since

Go to Youtube and type in "Red Faces Big Rick" ... I did an "audition" - a comedy song in a very popular variety show here in Oz that ran for 25+ years ... The lady producer asked me what name my act would have - and I replied : "Well, I'm large, and my name is Richard - you figure it out" .... She goes "Hhhmmmmmmm Big D _ _ K - we CAN'T say THAT on national television ... how about we call you Big Rick instead ?!?" ..... ( that's me - 35 yrs ago BTW - in the wheelchair and singing and old Beatles song :) )

Biggus

Last edited:
Start searching here and you will find all your answers.
There are rubber bumpers under the seat that can be removed. the forks can be dropped 1/2 inch. anymore and the side stand will need to be shortened.

G'day Vagrant !

I THOUGHT there MIGHT be something to alter the seat / forks etc .... but the so called "salesman" at the bike shop - didn't know his arse from his elbow .... I KNEW MORE about the bike than HE did !

I understand about the side-stand ! .... NOT overly worried - I have MIG / TIG / lathes / mills etc ( retired Marine Captain & Engineer - and "All purpose Mad-Scientist" type .... )

I was hoping there would be an easy fix re the rear shock absorber as well .......
I've already spoken with a company here in Oz that will take the shock absorber apart and re-dimension it to suit if there's nothing else available / no easy adjustment ...

Thanks again !

Biggus

You will need suspension work for your size, both front fork and rear shock. You will find the stock suspension is more attuned to someone in the 100 Kg class or less.

I watched your TV appearance. Good licks on the guitar! The host's suit is totally psychedelic.
It's funny that you won $500 from McDonalds. The V85TT you want is nicknamed the McDonalds colour scheme.

You will need suspension work for your size, both front fork and rear shock. You will find the stock suspension is more attuned to someone in the 100 Kg class or less.

Thanks John !

And yes - I've pretty much always had to "pay particular attention" to, the suspension setups on most bikes I've owned .... it's the ongoing price I pay for being the size I am / have been from birth ( 6Kgs at birth ... level with my father at 9 years old, and 6' by 11 yrs ) ... Now 65 and actually shrinking in height ( but not in weight :O :( )

I wonder - Does anyone know if the various Ride Modes ( Road / Wet / Dirt etc ) only affect Engine POWER output and the behaviour / sensitivity of the ABS brakes ? ....................... OR - Do the Modes ALSO affect how the shock absorbers behave ???

( I'd HATE to stiffen up the suspension to suit my weight - only to find that by doing so I've adversely affected the bikes' handling in the various Ride Modes ! )

Hopefully someone will be able to tell / warn me ....

Biggus

I watched your TV appearance. Good licks on the guitar! The host's suit is totally psychedelic.
It's funny that you won $500 from McDonalds. The V85TT you want is nicknamed the McDonalds colour scheme.

HAAAAAA !!!!! :)

DIDN'T KNOW about the Mojave's nick name !

But - I can see WHY now that you mention it !!! :) :) :)

Biggus

On the 2021, the ride modes affect the engine throttle response, the traction control, and ABS brakes. They do not affect the suspension since the V85TT suspension is purely mechanical/hydraulic with no electronic interface, but they do have significant differences so I change modes when appropriate. The 2021 also has a different ECU from the earlier models so the fuel/ignition modifications available in the GTM store are not suitable (hopefully, there will be a similar system compatible with 2021 developed soon). As someone who is only 5’-7”, I am surprised that you are looking to lower the seat. Moto Guzzi does offer an optional lower seat which has less padding, but I found the factory original seat to be better for me.

On the 2021, the ride modes affect the engine throttle response, the traction control, and ABS brakes. They do not affect the suspension since the V85TT suspension is purely mechanical/hydraulic with no electronic interface, but they do have significant differences so I change modes when appropriate. The 2021 also has a different ECU from the earlier models so the fuel/ignition modifications available in the GTM store are not suitable (hopefully, there will be a similar system compatible with 2021 developed soon). As someone who is only 5’-7”, I am surprised that you are looking to lower the seat. Moto Guzzi does offer an optional lower seat which has less padding, but I found the factory original seat to be better for me.

Many Thanks for that Gerry !

OK - GOOD to know that the shocks AREN'T electronically controlled !!!

Re the seat height - maybe the dealer ( who's V85TT I got to sit on ) has the bike set up "all wrong" .... ( the salesman certainly DIDN'T know his arse from his elbow re features of the bike !!! )

I will look further in to seat height LOWERING ( not seat "thinning")

Are you aware of the ability to reprogram the fuel controller for different exhaust back-pressures and other air/ fuel ratio alterations ?!?!?
( with my Indian Chief - they "re-flash" the fuel controller - so it knows if you fit a high flow air filter and / or the exhausts / cams etc ... )

I'm HOPING that someone out there has already done things like remove the catalytic converter and fitted more "flowing" exhausts and can offer some advice about adjusting the ECU / Fuel controller to suit the new Fuel / Air ratios .....

Thanks again for your input !

Biggus

OK ....................

Todd / John / everyone - I've read multiple threads now re De-catting / custom exhausts / re-tuning / Fuel Modules etc etc ... and here's the resultant list of questions / scenarios - if you would be so kind as to help me out - thanks .......

Please Note :
1) Whilst I have done LOTS of "crazy bike stuff" in my youth - now, at 65, I'm NOT looking to compete in the next Paris - Dakar / Baja race etc ...
2) I'm a BIG bloke - 6' and 150+ Kgs ( so - having JUST ME on the bike - is like a permanent "two up" - load wise )
3) I have a buggered right hip ( that needs replacing most likely ) - which has caused me to limp for 15 years - which made the right knee fail - now replaced ( IE : new right knee ) .... a left shoulder that wore out - also now replaced .... a right shoulder that is looking like IT will need replacing sooner than later ... and a terrible lower back ( BTW - MOST of these injuries were precipitated by falling down an Engine Room ladder on a large vessel )

Long story - short .......... I'm NOT "a fit young man" any more :O :( ...... BUT ..... that is NOT to say that I don't want a bike / the bike / the V85TT that I'm looking to purchase to NOT perform as good as it can - within reason / cost boundaries

After reading everything I could - THIS is what I'm thinking ( and PLEASE - jump IN and tell me otherwise if you disagree ! )
This is what my retired Marine Engineer brain ( which has now owned some 47 bikes already - many of which were WRECKS that I bought and rebuilt ) is thinking ...

2022 Model, MG V85TT ( I LOVE the Mojave / "Macdonalds" colour scheme :) .... it's just SO quirky :) :) :) ... )

I'd like to get "as much HP / Torque / performance from the bike as I CAN" - without spending HUGE $$$ ( that I don't r-e-a-l-l-y have to spare )
YES - I'd like a "meatier sounding exhaust" ........... but WITHOUT going to something that YELLS "COME AND BOOK ME" to every cop car I ride past

Here are my thoughts / plan :

Stock / standard headers
GTM's "Y-Pipe" ( to decat and open up the flow )
Take the lid OFF the airbox and fit a High Flow K & N styled oiled Air Filter
Fit GTM's "Air Block Off Kit" - to stop backfiring / popping on trailing throttle settings
Buy a RAPID BIKE EVO Fuel Module ( that suits a 2022 model ) and re-map the air / fuel ratios and power / torque curves to suit

I'd approximate, that these additions / modifications would net me at least 10 - if not 15 HP more, over a stock bike ...

I'm HOPING that these items combined will give the bike a meatier / punchier sound ..... More get up & GO ( especially at highway speeds & during overtaking ) - but without breaking the bank and / or attracting too much attention from the constabulary when I ride

In your highly regarded opinions - would this arrangement be something sensible - given what I'm hoping to get out of the bike ?!?

If not - could you please explain where this logic falls down

THANKS in advance !!!

Biggus

I suggest you get a 2021 (if available) to make sure you get your color choice since MG could change the color scheme for next year.

I have not researched fueling modifications (other than reading threads on this site), but it might be prudent to keep the intake/exhaust systems original until fueling modifications become readily available for 2021 (or 2022) models. My 2021 runs fine in original configuration, but it is clearly on the lean side so fueling modifications would be needed if the exhaust and intake are opened up. You can probably use a K&N filter without fueling changes as long as you keep the air box and exhaust standard. As a reminder, the head pipes and catalytic converter are one piece on the 2021 so you cannot use a Y-pipe by itself (you will need a complete header system).

After break-in, the engine revs freely up to the ECU’s rev limiter so you should have enough power in original configuration to enjoy the bike until fueling modifications become available.

Gerry

Buy a RAPID BIKE EVO Fuel Module ( that suits a 2022 model ) and re-map the air / fuel ratios and power / torque curves to suit

I'd approximate, that these additions / modifications would net me at least 10 - if not 15 HP more, over a stock bike ...

Hello mate,

Unfortunately, without a dyno to run dynamic tests on, this is near impossible.

Besides, you don’t “map” power and torque curves, you simply read the results of a dyno run.

I think you are probably wildly optimistic and misguided about how you will magically gain this 10-15 hp increase. If you do, it will be $$$$.

There is no such thing as “cheap” power gains on any engine regardless of K&N’s bullshit claims of “5 fast hp” to the contrary.

A well-sorted used Stelvio will run circles over a V85TT in performance, suspension, handling, and reliability (IMHO) and for significantly less $$$.

It also will sound way better. No V85TT can hold a candle to my Stelvio NTX.

However, if a V85TT really floats your boat, I wish you success in your quest!

Loved the wheelchair video by the way. Funny as hell!

Last edited:
You're way overthinking this whole thing. I have a 28" inseam and am 5' 7" and I can't fathom at 6' you will have trouble with the seat height. It will handle 300# with the shock in the third notch. Probably the best stock suspension Guzzi has offered. The power isn't going to magically change so if you need more look elsewhere. Go ride a demo.

Here are my thoughts / plan :
Stock / standard headers. GTM's "Y-Pipe". Take the lid OFF the airbox and fit a K & N. Fit GTM's "Air Block Off Kit" - Buy a RAPID BIKE EVO Fuel Module. I'd approximate, that these additions / modifications would net me at least 10 - if not 15 HP more, over a stock bike ...
I already have a handful of dyno results in this thread; https://guzzitech.com/forums/threads/gtm-v85tt-exhaust-now-with-dyno-run.19804/ - specifically starting here; https://guzzitech.com/forums/threads/gtm-v85tt-exhaust-now-with-dyno-run.19804/page-5#post-172426
I can get 80 rwhp (+10 hp over stock) as shown, the stock headers are a bottleneck, and welded to the cat-con Y-pipe on the 2021 models. It’s all covered there. No need to repost it here all over again.

I have Todd’s (GTM) full fueling setup on my Stelvio. (Discussed many time here on the forums, use SEARCH) I tell you that hands down, it has been the best setup I did for my Stelvio, but as I said, horsepower and smoother fueling doesn’t come cheap. It’s a serious trade off of money for the correct PROVEN solution.

One thing is for certain, Todd PROVES his results clearly and honestly with dyno charts; not just full throttle runs (a very unrealistic real world likelihood for routine riding) and partial throttle runs (much more grounded in daily operational running of the average motorcyclist).

If a V85TT is in your future, then I strongly suggest that you use the proven solution Todd offers. It will cost you much less, work predictably, and offer years of trouble-free satisfaction. In truth, Todd is probably one of, if not the leading source of reliable Moto Guzzi fueling modifications in the world. This is a FACT!

Going your own way will cost you $$$ and I promise you that you will not be anywhere near the results you can get from Todd’s professional setup.

Enough said.

Last edited:
I suggest you get a 2021 (if available) to make sure you get your color choice since MG could change the color scheme for next year.

I have not researched fueling modifications (other than reading threads on this site), but it might be prudent to keep the intake/exhaust systems original until fueling modifications become readily available for 2021 (or 2022) models. My 2021 runs fine in original configuration, but it is clearly on the lean side so fueling modifications would be needed if the exhaust and intake are opened up. You can probably use a K&N filter without fueling changes as long as you keep the air box and exhaust standard. As a reminder, the head pipes and catalytic converter are one piece on the 2021 so you cannot use a Y-pipe by itself (you will need a complete header system).

After break-in, the engine revs freely up to the ECU’s rev limiter so you should have enough power in original configuration to enjoy the bike until fueling modifications become available.

Gerry

G'day Gerry ... and Thanks for your input ! :)

Yes - I've contacted not only several dealers here in Oz - but the MG Importers, directly, as well ..... and there is LIMITED MG stock coming IN to Australia I have been told ...... E-v-e-r-y-o-n-e has said : "If you want one - put a deposit down NOW !" - including the importers ..... But - that doesn't suit my plans at present, plus, I want to find out as much as I can BEFORE committing to the next bike ...... ( The V85TT will be my 48th bike BTW - though,................... many have been wrecks that I have rebuilt - admittedly )

I'd prefer to get a 2022 model - as I have been told that not only does it have more upgrades to the electronics / more ride modes etc but that they also have the spoked but tubeless rims as well ( a big plus if you've ever had a flat "out the back of nowhere" ) ..... but yes - I would rather the Mojave Paint scheme as well !
( worse comes to worse - I'll just repaint the bike ..................... hell - I've helped restore ( and done all the painting, on ) 50 + Harleys for a friend over the years ..... and with the ones I've done for myself, probably 100 bikes already - what's ONE more ?!?!? )

The other issue - is that Todd at GTM has the RAPID BIKE Fuel controllers for V85TT"s "up TO 2019/20" - but there isn't one as yet for the 2021 / 2022 models .... and THAT is a problem if you want to be able to get the air fuel ratio right ..... especially if you are going the remove the cat' and possibly alter other features as well ....

YES - I would leave the bike stock standard for the entire warranty period - for obvious reasons ...... even though I am well aware that the engine would be better off running slightly richer as most manufacturers are forced to run very lean ratios re complying to the emission laws in most countries these days ....

I WASN'T aware that the header pipes and cat' converter were all one piece on the '21 model ! ..... I WAS hoping that these parts would all be made to interchange / slip on to existing equipment ..... ( though - having made my own custom and "tuned" headers / exhaust systems for various bikes, cars, boats and aeroplanes that I have either rebuilt, customised or built from scratch over the decades - it doesn't seem too difficult to do ..... The thought of cutting the headers off at the appropriate point, and sleeving on additions / making my own "Y-Pipe" is not a wildly daunting task - just "inconvenient" ) - ( I have MIG / TIG / Oxy and Arc equipment - anyway ) .... the important thing is to get the primary pipe length correct for the desired effect / target RPM ( shorter headers suit getting your HP at higher RPM's - while longer ones give better torque results at lower RPM's - as a rule )

I ask all these questions - because I'm "a sponge" re information / ideas ..... and I can see that Todd and some others have a wealth of knowledge and practical experience to draw from - so why re-invent the wheel !?! ....... ( plus - I'd rather just ask and find out, than to do all the R&D myself )
If GTM's bits do what I need - I will just purchase their stuff ..... Life's too short, I'm getting old, and I have waaaay too many other projects on the boil as well ................ if you get my drift
Problem is - I'm the type who needs to know WHY something works - rather than to just blindly accept what I've been told to believe - particularly when I get the "know it all, blowhards" who try to browbeat others to do what THEY say MUST be done .... ( which, to me, is no different than having a happy clapper try to get me to believe in THEIR god - because THEIR god is the ONLY "one true god" ..... BBBzzzzttttt .............. NEXT !!! )

When I bought a worn out / time expired Lycoming engine for the aeroplane kit that the wife and I built - I went to town on it and increased it's HP output by 30% .... nothing WILD mind you ( "wild" = UNRELIABLE, in aviation .... something you DON'T want in an aircraft engine !!! ) .... just ported and polished the heads, lined up all the ports & pipes, made a custom TUNED exhaust system with 36"long primaries to suit it's operating RPM, fitted electronic aftermarket ignition systems to boost the spark substantially - ( which improved the flame front propagation enormously ) and a fuel system that allowed me to individually alter the fuel/ air ratio in each individual cylinder - separately ( and running individual cylinder head and exhaust temperature gauges so I could monitor it all in real time / while we were flying )

But I digress - sorry ...

I'm NOT looking to build a fire-breathing race bike ............................. but, I AM looking to make the engine as efficient and productive as possible - without affecting it's reliability OR longevity ...
So, freeing up the air flow IN and OUT, plus being able to fine tune the air / fuel ratio will do me just fine !

( Now ...... all I have to do is sort out the seat height & suspension issues ....... I suspect that my not so diminutive 352Lbs ( I weighed myself this morning :O :( ) MIGHT be "a tad over" what most people would be expecting their V85TT's to handle - well )
( and I've just LOST 60 Lbs ! ) - ( with a mere 100 or so Lbs to go to reach my target ................ again )

Thanks again !

Biggus

Back