• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Angeles Crest

GTM®

Administrator
Staff member
GT di Razza Pura
Our friend who started this thread below. Ride in peace Bob.
Anyone been up to Newcomb's since the last series of storms? Wondering if the road is completely clear of all snow & ice. There are those couple of shady spots just below Newcomb's that are always the last to totally thaw out.

I was stupid enough to go up Sunday morning, and did a very slow (<10mph) high-side in the Shadies. Bruised the lowest left rib and punched a hole in the bottom of the left valve cover. Lucky for me, I was holding up an acquaintance who was driving; he helped me pick up the Stelvio and drove me to Newcomb's. I and the bike went home in/on a flatbed tow truck; by that time the Shadies and all turnouts had been well-plowed. I just had to see WSBK race 2 and WSSP! :banghead: Would've saved money if I'd subscribed w/Dorna for the "anytime" feed. I'm picking up a new valve cover from Todd tomorrow.

Sure am glad I decided to ask rather than just head up. Sorry to hear about your misfortune. Appreciate you sharing info. Sounds like bike damage is minimal, your damage a bit more but nothing a little time won't cure.

Bob, if nobody else has told you, the road has been dry since last Wednesday, and I'm guessing that it'll be dry after yesterday's rain by tomorrow. BTW, Newcomb's Ranch is open again on Mondays, starting today.

To clarify for anyone who might be wondering Newcombs is now closed Tuesdays and Wednesdays and open the rest of the week. I was up there yesterday and the road was pretty much clear no problems.

You're making me homesick! I was born and raised in San Diego (Mt. Palomar, Wildcat Canyon, Mesa Grande, etc), went to school in Claremont and lived in Wrightwood for 1.5 years so Angeles Crest and I are old friends. I remember back 30 years ago, blasting up and down that road and if I saw a cop 1 time out of 50, I was amazed but now my friends tell me the place is crawling with CHP. Newcombs Ranch is still Newcombs Ranch I bet - Dingy little dive with decent burgers! Oh well, times are a changing for sure... Thanks for the memories!

Memory Lane.......As a teen in Southeast Los Angeles I rode the Crest several times a week in the summers and at least once a week when school was back in session. I learned a lot on that highway and some of the connecting roads. Indeed, cops were VERY seldom seen back then.

At the risk of dating myself I rode my YDS 3 and my best pal had a CB 77 Super Hawk. As I got braver I used to time myself from Red Box Station to Big Pines.......I won't reveal my times.

You're making me homesick! I was born and raised in San Diego (Mt. Palomar, Wildcat Canyon, Mesa Grande, etc), went to school in Claremont and lived in Wrightwood for 1.5 years so Angeles Crest and I are old friends. I remember back 30 years ago, blasting up and down that road and if I saw a cop 1 time out of 50, I was amazed but now my friends tell me the place is crawling with CHP. Newcombs Ranch is still Newcombs Ranch I bet - Dingy little dive with decent burgers! Oh well, times are a changing for sure... Thanks for the memories!
Newcombs was great until it closed during and after covid. people still ride there, but it's not open.

Bummer. Yeah, I lived in Wrightwood for a year and a half and commutted to Downtown LA for work. Rode virtually everyday that the road was open via motorcycle because the other option was the long way down and around from the pass through the mountain communities like Rancho Cucamonga and then tons of super-slab in the carpool lane down I-10, lane splitting most of the way.

Always felt energized arriving at work in the morning and at home in the early evening. Angeles Crest does that to you. Also was a constant spook at the old original Pro-Italia dealership. Making googling eyes at the red Mille GT and California II they had for sale brand new back then.

Damn I rode like a banshee back in those days. I was one of those lunatic lane splitters on the LA freeway system. Took a million chances weekly that I shudder to think about now.

Youth…

Mesa Grande....yeah, that's a good one. Short but sweet. I lived in San Diego for a long time and really loved some of the East county rides. Banner Grade between Julian and the desert and Sunrise Highway. I'm happy to be out of California but I do miss the roads.

We do have a few nice twisty roads close by Prescott but I sure don't push it anymore. At least once a month I actually pull over to let some young guy in a pickup past me.

Newcombs was great until it closed during and after covid. people still ride there, but it's not open.

Well, at least it's not burnt down like it's been threatened with many times. I wonder if they have fire insurance?

I also got a fright when I opened up this thread, and saw Guzzi Bob as the first poster. As many of you will know, Bob passed a couple of years ago.

Back