• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Too Much Flat Black......

Bill Meyer

Cruisin' Guzzisti
Like a few forum members I stare at my bikes and always see stuff that bugs me in a visual sense. I've had this particular ailment since my first 10 speed bicycle. Can't help it. The Stone trim level would not have been my first choice but for the alloy wheels. I've converted too many spoke wheels to tubeless to want a repeat of that task so the Stone it was.

Flat black and a monochrome look is OK but I think Guzzi took it a little too far so a few little things had to be lightened up to suit my eye.

Silver on the wheels, fenders, and injector covers is a start. The huge deep valance rear fender got a major trim and relocation of the tail light.

When the snow starts I'll likely repaint the satin grey tank red or maybe 50's Guzzi green. The edges of the cylinder head fins will likely get brightened up as well.

By the way, I've had the V7 just about 5 weeks now. First service last week and a little over 1000 miles. I'm charmed by it and look forward to a few tweaks from the GTM store.

IMG 4843

Flat black and a monochrome look is OK but I think Guzzi took it a little too far so a few little things had to be lightened up to suit my eye. Silver on the wheels, fenders, and injector covers is a start. The huge deep valance rear fender got a major trim and relocation of the tail light.
Nice. I like when people make them their own. I'm not a fan of drawing visual attention to cosmetic items like the injector covers, but that's just me. Also, I hate the peg brackets and shift/brake arms being silver.
Otherwise well done!
p.s. The Milano below may have been a better start for you. ;)

2018 Moto Guzzi V7III Milano1

Thanks Todd. I'd have jumped on a Milano but I wanted to keep my purchase local and none were on the horizon. Jim Knaup had a Stone sitting right there calling my name so the time was right.

The injector covers strike me as a little weird no matter what finish or material. I may just remove 'em.

It's always interesting to mull the details and hear what floats one guys boat and annoys the next fellow. The silver peg brackets don't bother me but on my 650 Enfield they were silver and looked like tractor parts.....I painted those black. Go figure, eh?

That's a looker indeed. I like the red fender and side panels but I'd throw the number plates over the back fence. The exhaust hangers caught my eye as well as the missing plastic starter cover and bracket.

I thinks it’s was one of the Fast Endurance Cup series bikes !
That looks like the Racer exhaust hanger ?

Maybe I could do the tank top red with that pin stripe down the edge ?
I could try it with a wrap, cheap to Test with...

Last edited:
Nice. I like when people make them their own. I'm not a fan of drawing visual attention to cosmetic items like the injector covers, but that's just me. Also, I hate the peg brackets and shift/brake arms being silver.
Otherwise well done!
p.s. The Milano below may have been a better start for you. ;)

View attachment 23456

Huh, I never noticed the rear mud guard on the Milano was shorter that stock ?
And those are metal if memory serves me right.

Last edited:
I would make the bottom of the side covers below the crease flat black to make the painted upper part look longer horizontally. Also the injector covers might look better with real holes in them? Perhaps worth a try.

Actually I did open the holes in the plastic injector covers on my Stone Today I decided to remove them entirely as I'd rather see functional pieces than cheap-o plastic or alloy.

Like a few forum members I stare at my bikes and always see stuff that bugs me in a visual sense. I've had this particular ailment since my first 10 speed bicycle. Can't help it. The Stone trim level would not have been my first choice but for the alloy wheels. I've converted too many spoke wheels to tubeless to want a repeat of that task so the Stone it was.

Flat black and a monochrome look is OK but I think Guzzi took it a little too far so a few little things had to be lightened up to suit my eye.

Silver on the wheels, fenders, and injector covers is a start. The huge deep valance rear fender got a major trim and relocation of the tail light.

When the snow starts I'll likely repaint the satin grey tank red or maybe 50's Guzzi green. The edges of the cylinder head fins will likely get brightened up as well.

By the way, I've had the V7 just about 5 weeks now. First service last week and a little over 1000 miles. I'm charmed by it and look forward to a few tweaks from the GTM store.

View attachment 23454
I'm also in the camp that wanted a little more bright stuff on the bike, so I'm curious about how you did your wheels. Paint? Powdercoat? Strip away existing finish?

The wheels were rattle-canned with Dupli Color silver wheel paint. I painted them with the tires mounted so there was quite a bit of masking involved. Prep was routine scrubbing with naphtha and a maroon Scotch Bright pad on the smooth rim surfaces. I don't think there's a need to strip the OEM finish.

I've successfully painted several sets of MC wheels. It's tedious work but the results are satisfying.

Some guys insist on powder coating but I've personally never gone that route as I think it's just too expensive.

Last edited:
A friend used to just put dish washing soap on the Tires / rubber to keep the paint off.

I powder coated a set of auto wheels - cost as much as buying a new set from TR - but they were Unique...

A little less flat black......Too cold to ride so I'm playing in my shop;
qMGYgJF.jpg

Odd, did you change the image - it would not load last night ?
What did you do the get that smooth surface ?

Side picture please ;)

I am/was thinking of trying to get a color match of the Valve covers to add a matching accent somewhere, but wasn't sure about being able to match the color of that wrinkle finish.

PS: What did you use for the screws to attach the side covers ?
Those are not the same as the one that Vanished in the garage last year, when it fell off the bike into another dimension !

I used Jasco paint and epoxy remover to take the black finish off followed by a light scuff with Scotchbrite. The paint is Rustoleum High Heat which I've found to lay out very smoothly on past projects. I will be trying a clear coat over the silver after it cures a couple of days. I don't think the initial stripping is really needed as the black finish is very smooth.

The thumbscrews are 5mm x 20 items from Amazon with a flange nut backed against the knob and Loctited...The OEM Allen screws are just begging to get lost.

BTW, a way to fix the side cover screws to the cover is to cut out a small circle of plastic, like from a milk carton, punch a small hole in it, and screw it onto the screw on the back side of the cover. They'll keep the screws with the cover when you remove it.

Back