• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Norge Service Question

jdgretz

Cruisin' Guzzisti
GT Contributor
Canoga Park - A great place to live work and shop
I just had the 6250 mile (10,000km) service done on my Norge by the local dealer. The work accomplished was changing the engine, transmission and final drive fluids, and change the filter (for $375). Looking at my service manual, it looks like he should have also changed the outer spark plug, checked the air filter, replaced the fork oil and seals and a bunch of other stuff. Did my dealer get lazy or is this the "standard" 6K mile check?
jdg

Nope, you got screwed:angry: if they didn't do what the manual says to do and then charged you $375.00.

Assuming they used the correct specified oils, they retail for about $75.00 plus another $10.00 for a correct filter. Shouldn't take any longer than 30 min to do. So I'm going to guess, after doing the math, that their shop rate is $350.00 per hour:blink: .That's why I like doing all my own service. When I'm done I know it was done right and I never get screwed by the guy doing the service.

Now if they did the correct full service and did what the book calls for, then you got a bargain at $375.00. To replace the oil and seals in the front forks is a pain to do, I know because I did it.

I have NEVER seen any reason to replace the fork oil, (Destroying the seals in the process!) at the first service. Are they saying that they are assembled in the middle of the Sahara desert in a sandstorm? It's always struck me a s both weird and an-neccessay. They say do it for the Griso too which uses Showa forks identical to those used on numerous Japanese bikes and THEY don't recommend a fork oil and sel change. I personally can see no 'Engineering' or 'Mechanical' need for it and haven't ever done it on ANY motorbike I'e owned. If someone canb give me a VALID reason why I should I'm all ears!

Likewise spark plugs. Any spark plug is nowadays at least a 50,000Km item. What used to kill plugs is lead-foul. Hmmm... No lead for years, so, follow the dots...........

Having said that at the first service the tappets should of been done and the TPS checked. If you don't ride much on dirt there is no need to check the air filter but the oil filter should of been binned and an amount of time should of been allocated to just going over all the fasteners that *might* come loose and generally observing and riding the bike to make sure it isn't doing anything silly that you as a new owner might think was a *Quirk*:S .

Whether it is a fair price depends on your dealer's hourly rate but $375 dosn't sound unreasonable if all the correct stuff was done.

pete

I too think that changing the fork oil and seals at 6K miles is crazy and have never heard of doing it at such a low millage. The only reason I did mine was because I changed out the fork springs and installed cartridge fork emulators.

The only reason I ever changed the fork oil on a bike was to change to a different weight to help sort out a handling issue on a japaneses bike many years ago. From what I've seen of my Guzzi, they don't have handling issues... I do! LoL
FBC Oh and I basically paid 283.00 for what Pete listed the other day, but I get a break from my dealer cause I bought the bike from him.

You shouldn't take everything published in a Guzzi document without question. IMHO changing the fork seals unless they fail is unnecessary. At the 10,000km service I'd do the following:

Drain the airbox drain tube.

Change the engine oil and filter, gearbox and CARC oil.

Change the fork oil and use 450cc of 15W oil.

Change the hydraulic fluid in the front and rear brakes, and the clutch.

Change the outer spark plugs.

Adjust the tappets.

Reset the TPS, balance the throttle vacuum and reset the TPS again.

Check everything for tightness, especially the exhaust header nuts, stand mountings, wheel mountings.

Remove the battery terminals and smear all contacting surfaces with Vaselene or Di-electric grease.

Check and adjust the headlight aiming.

I'm afraid you take more attention to this than I do Graham.
The airbox drain tube should be done every few weeks.
Engine oil, of course, gearbox and CARC, less often.
Fork oil, no, unless there was a damping problem or sign of a leak.
Hydraulic fluid - ideally every two years according to most books.
Outer plugs ought to last a lot longer, but worth a check.
All the rest I would do, but check regularly anyway.

I do not understand the logic of changing the gearbox oil so often, or the CARC oil either for that matter.
For instance, the instructions for maintaining the gearbox on my Peugeot require checking the oil level every 20k miles. There is no mention of ever changing the oil, and I have yet to have a problem with any of their gearboxes, having driven several hundred thousand miles in them over the last 20 odd years. And of course, that box includes the differential too. So unless the guzzi box is badly made by comparison, why change it every 6000 miles?

Brian

The man asked about the 10,000km service. In many cases that means after about a year, and the first real service since new, because the frst dealer-service is often pretty superficial. Often a dealer won't even check the tappets.

In my case i've done all the servicing since new and so did pretty well all of the things I mentioned, including pulling the inner plugs, at 1,000km! I say most because the TPS business was unknown to anyone here back then and it was 10,000km before i changed the fork oil. As far as maintenance goes, the only thing I don't do myself is remove and fit tyres to rims. My 73 year old riding mate even does that himself!

I drain the airbox tube about every 1,000km and get very little oil out even then. At 10,000km intervals I change the engine, gearbox and CARC oils becasue oil is cheaper than trouble. Hydraulic fluids annually, because again it's less trouble than trouble. Fork oil at two years.

Cars are a different story. They bore me. My present car will be two years old at the end of the month and I've never looked underneath it and opened the bonnet about three times, then to top up the windscreen washer bottle and check the oil level. To me, cars are now just appliances deserving of as much affection as the washing machine. Why love a vehicle whose engine you can't even hear or feel? That's why I chose a Guzzi and Buell rather than a UJM.

I’m in total agreement with you there. I totally enjoy working on the Guzzi, the car however is a completely different matter. I do maintain the car myself but it’s about as much fun as fixing the washing machine.

I know of some who religiously change their Guzzi engine oil every thousand miles.
The point being,every owner will have his (or her) preferences. But I understood the question to be what must I do at 10k km? This is rather different, and I was pointing out what should be done rather than my preference.

Back