• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Oil light on at start up but not always, eminent f

Re:Oil light on at start up but not always

2 cents in: I don't know about the Breva/Griso/Norge ,but I imagine they are all they same. In the Stelvio parts break the sensor looks like a pressure transducer I would replace it first, and check the connection at it. Press. transducers even on 10 million dollar helicopters are cheap crap that fail all the time and sometimes start to do unexplainable things for no apparent reason. Start with the simplest, cheapest thing first.
FBC

FBC, I've seen a pressure sender (a Gemms) do unexplainable things (signaling a linearly increasing pressure that would 'reset' at a random value and start all over again). But that model costs between 200 and 300 euros.

Do you know the range and precision of the transducers used on our bikes?

Another thought: the Gemms I know is in fact a combined pressure and temperature transducer. Could be interesting to have a combined reading of oil pressure and temperature, I suppose!

No I don't RJ , but what you are charged for a part is not indicative of quality. You should see the price of parts for something with sikorsky on it. Ever heard of a $25,000.00 windshield? US that is. I see 6 of them Mon- Fri and guess who makes it Same guys that make dodge , ford, gm ect... that's right PPG. Just saying that you've got a couple of aspects to look at ; sender, wiring, indicator and pump output. simplest first is best. thats all.
FBC

Hello

The UFI is no longer the officially supplied filter....

Hello;

I can't speak to the flow rates... I don't suppose it is that important to know if the current OEM supplyed filter is this replacement. The replacement came due to the seating characteristics of the UFI, i.e. it didn't seat properly to seal. This new filter does. I would have to presume that the flow rates were verified when the change introduced at engine assembly.

As for posting on WG... Please just post a link to this thread.

Thanks

Re:Oil light on at start up but not always, eminen

I'll try and get this thread back on track.

My bike had this problem, turned out to be a faulty oil pressure switch.

What I noticed during the period when it was faulty,
If after turning on the ignition and pressing the starter button just as the display needles started to twitch as part of the
self test sequence, the oil pressure warning did not display, but if I waited for the full self test sequence to complete, the
oil pressure warning did light up.
B)

I should like to also note something else that was happening when the oil light on my bike was coming on. When the light eventually went off after a few restarts or a short period of time, I could hear the bottom end immediately became quieter. This is the main reason that I became alarmed and would not run the thing any longer than 45 seconds or so. There was noticeable racket. Moto International had instructions to remove the oil pan and whatever if necessary and check for problems. They insist the oil filter was the problem. So far, I have not seen the oil light and I hear nothing but what I should. As far as wha type of oil was in the bike, I have no clue what the PO put in it.

I talked with the dealer about it and he went on to say that it May be the sensor but in that it is so intermittent (in my case) that it is really hard to put a finger on the issue. We talked about whether it was on the side stand vs the center stand, warm vs cold, all kinds of stuff. He ended by saying that he would send me a sending unit if I like.

I'll keep an eye on it but suffice it to say, the oil level is fine, this just startled me when I first saw it and it is way against the grain to ignore a light indicating Anything to do with the oil or pressure....!

Another thing that he went on to say is that the new wisdom is to use 20W-50 oil in these engines... Not the 10W-60 that I have to have special ordered from a dealer near me, I use the Motorex brand...
Does anyone here have any other dealers telling them to use 20W-50 all of a sudden...?

I do not know what to think about the oil filter theory...? That scares me even more....! :eek:hmy:

Thanks,
Rob

That's contrary to the Piaggio tech rep at the National Rally has said, 10w60 period along with the approved filter either the UFI or the new OEM one that fits a Toyota 4.7l V8. I am going to be blunt here but if it was me and I know you are not me, but I am anal about stuff like this. I wouldn't be riding or even running the bike, I hope the new sending unit cures your problem, If it doesn't and the first time it happens again, I would have it trailered to the dealer and have the oil pump housing checked for cracks. I know you are familiar with Bill Hagen's problem last year, so the possibility is there

IMGP9439s.jpg

Hey Rob;

At Nationals the Regional Service Manager for Guzzi insists that the new engines require the 10-60. Anything else and you can get intermittent oil light problems.

I would say that Piaggio is right on top of the requirements for oil and that unless the dealer can produce a service advisory from Piaggio specifying the 20/50 oil to discount that statement as an opinion and not fact based.

As for the oil filters, again, straight from the Service Manager.... And have your dealer check the color of the units he has JUST recieved. Not that he has in stock. They made the change in production weeks ago.

Sam & Dan,
To be clear here.. I am not using 20-50, rather the Motorex 10-60 and UFI filters. When I called the dealer to ask about the intermittent oil light he told me about the 20-50 but I too am very keen on which oil to use in this engine.

Seems to me that Guzzi specified that grade oil for a reason and it will take an official notice from Guzzi to make me switch.

You know what is funny as hell, the light has not come on for days now.... :cheer:

Sam,
What is this warning of the color of the filters...? New variant...?

Thanks,
Rob

Hi Rob;

Good on the oil. I am lucky one of the dealers in Dallas stocks the proper oil on the shelf. So I can buy 4L at a time. Don't ask me the price, I don't look :(

The oil filter color change is the indicator from the factory assembly process. The NEW "Toyota style" filters are black... (old UFIs are white)...

Word is you can get the Toyota 4.7l V8 filters on Amazon 2@ $7.00!

I haven't checked yet...

Does this mean the previously officially specified filter is no longer good (like the change to 10W60 oil that was ordered when the 1st Brevas and/or Norges were already rolling)?

Hi,
My 2006 Breva 1100 started the intermittent oil pressure light on at "key on" over 10,000 miles back. I use 10W60 and UFI filters. I tried clearing codes, tightening this, that and the thing on the left side. Looked for a short while like a loose ground at the starter. Problem returned. Finally bought a new oil pressure switch and installed it. End of problem on my bike.
I've got 23,000 miles now. For what it's worth, and I'm NOT trying to start a problem, but I fill the filter before installing it. I don't get oil pressure warnings at startup after a change. Do the same on my 22 year old BMW K75 without problems either.
My 2 cents worth.
Warren Y

I had the same problem, UFI filter would not seal. Ended up having oil blowing back on the rear tyre, not a great idea. A friend has had the same problem. UFI, how hard it it to make an oil filter seal?????

This leak on the UFI filter happened a few hundred kms after I changed it, On the intital run after the service, it was fine. My frined's bike started leaking about 2k kms after the dealer serviced it (using an UFI filter), he had some oil in his inner rear guard. If I had a choice between risking another brand of filter or risking oil leaking on my rear wheel with the safety implications this has, I'd go with the different filter.

I guess its just me, but UFI is not the only maker of good quality oil filters, and if it is a decent brand I would not hesitate to change. Ditto with the oli, I stick with 10w60 spec but I don't use AGIP.

I have used Hi Flow oil filters since the first service, they are cheaper (in Australia) and don't leak! Had no problems with them so far.

Jason

To anybody who is experiencing leaking filters after service PLEASE ensure that the filter has been isntalled with a filter wrench of some type and tightened properly.

The filter IS reccessed and some 'Dealers' baulk at the idea of buying the Guzzi wrench, which is absurdly priced, but, although they are supposed to be experienced workshops, fail to realize that a suitable cap wrench and/or scissor wrench are available for peanuts from most auto supply stores or, if their stupid pride isn't too much for them, from MPH, Moto Internaional and probably Speakers and the rest of the 'Good Guys' for next to nothing!

For some reason UFI changed the number of flutes on the top of the filter so I had to get another filter wrench. I bought one from Todd when I was in Houston picking up my Scura last year. Yes, I could probably of spent a few hours driving around various tool shops and parts suppliers and found one that did the job for a whole $10 or so cheaper! But I only have one life and fuel is expensive so why the f#ck would I bother when I know someone who has them on the shelf?

It seems that the only people cheaper than Moto Guzzi owners are newbie dealers who only have 'Technicians' rather than 'Mechanics'!!!

Incidentally I got my bill from the Oz importer for last month's purchases a few days ago. $1,500 of that was ridiculously expensive special tools for the newer models most of which you *can* do without but having it makes doing stuff so much easier! I know for a fact that few other dealers in Oz have either the factory tooling or access to the machine-shoppery I do so i'm not the least bit amazed when people find stuff like un-tuned bikes and leaking filters on their hate list!

Pete

Hi,
I started changing my Breva's oil at about 1000 miles. After hearing stories about filters loosening on various Guzzi models, I started applying a mark on the bottom right of the filter with an old touch up paint pen. I could then stop, crouch down and take a quick look to see if the filter had rotated. After the paint dried, I could just reach under (not on a cold filter) and feel if the paint mark had moved. I learned early on that on my bike, the filter wouldn't move if I tightened finger tight, then 3/4 turn. Yes it's snug and I use a breaker bar to loosen it, but in 20,000 plus miles since, I have not had a filter loosen after the initial installation.
Also, the newest UFI filters I bought have the same flutes as the filters for my '87 BMW K75. Same tool and not ridiculously expensive even at BMW prices.
My 2 cents worth again.
Warren Y

radguzzi wrote:
The oil light on the Norge will come on with the Bizarre Italian Video Game light show that happens when the ignition key is turned on and stay on but not every time. :(

Rob

Forgive me for being thick, but you are simply turning on the key, not trying to start it, and the light stays on, correct?

Since you haven't even started the motor, it would almost have to simply be an opened and failed sensor. The pump, oil type, oil pressure, etc., haven't even come into play yet. Correct?

Hi, the same problem here and this is my 3rd oil pressure sensor. Is not an expensive part (us$30) but is a very demanding process on time and labor to change it.
The first one was the original one on my Stelvio 2011 that was liking, the second one stop working after a heavy rain ride (welcome to Florida, Usa) and now the 3rd one, but with a little twist that I hope works, see pictures.

I use the 10w60 oil, I change it every 4000 miles with the oil filter and check it every week, so I was sure that the problem wasn't the oil.

I hope this is my last one.

IMG 7271 IMG 9377 IMG 9376 IMG 9382 IMG 9394

Back