• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Heli-Bars for Moto Guzzi Norge...

Expensive but price stock bars for most bikes with cast bars. Since most Helibars run about this price I was suprised they did not charge more for the low volume the Norge will probably generate. I had called them back when I was thinking of buying a Norge and they said they had no intentions of making them. I am glad some owner who lived close by offered up their bike and money for them to design something.

Mine are on order.

I just hope I like them. enough to justify the cost. I have over $850 in suspension upgrades (HyperPro, thanks Todd) on my Norge in the interest of handling and comfort so another $334 (#329.00 + $5.00 handling but free shippng? Go figure.) is bumping the modification costs up there.

Rudy

A Heli-Bars alternative..... ;) The boys at Gordy Tool (home of LumaLink light brackets) are in the final stages of producing a "set back riser" block which is a marvel of engineering. Each stock bar is mounted on a block which bolts to the triple tree. The top of the block is the secret. It is formed in such a way as to produce the desired lift and set back angle all at the same time. The trick is in the angle of the top of the block and the riser attaching bolt holes which are separate from and offset to the lower block mounting holes. To attach, nothing needs to be moved, removed, altered in any way. I have fit the first prototype to my Norge and with the exception of a few angle changes of the upper surface and top mounting bolt arrangement it will be a winner. I feel that the price will be well under the Heli-Bars so stay tuned. I will post pictures and details when the second prototype arrives. I am excited about this as they are no bigger than the original risers that I puchased and installed that offered only the rise in the grip location. :cheer:

I just installed the Heli-Bars on my Norge :) . Like someone said above, very easy with good instructions, took maybe 45 min. These things are first rate, beautifully machined and really make a difference in the rider's position on the bike. No more wrist pain for me. I can't believe that Heli-Bars went to the trouble of making these beautiful things for the Norge and B1100 knowing that they weren't going to be able to sell that many of them, but I'm glad they did. Well worth the $335.00 I paid for them. Plan on taking a long ride tomorrow to give the Heli-Bars and new Airhawk seat cushion a road test.

Follow Up:
I went on a long 608 mile, 11 hour, ride today up in Northern AZ. The Heli-Bars work great as did the Airhawk air cushion so my butt, back and wrists like the new mods. But my knees where killing me by the end of the day. Maybe it was the 114 deg heat toward the end of my journey or maybe I'm just getting old but I could barely get my pants off with how bad my knees hurt. My knees always hurt nowadays while riding no matter what bike I ride and the longer the ride the more they hurt.

Anyone got any ideas on how to help keep the knees from hurting on long rides?

Hi,

I have ordered a set for my Breva 1200, which has been getting very uncomfortable in both wrists, and aggravating a tennis elbow condition, strange as the last time I played tennis was in 1976....

The bike is otherwise a big step up from the California Stone I rode for the last four years until April, the Breva now has 4,500 miles up and gets better all the time.

I will be getting the Helibars delivered in the UK for

azccj wrote:
My knees always hurt nowadays while riding no matter what bike I ride and the longer the ride the more they hurt.

Anyone got any ideas on how to help keep the knees from hurting on long rides?

I feel your pain :(

Sometimes its unavoidable but... I've found dosing with Ibuprofen or Naproxen BEFORE a long ride has made a noticeable difference on how my knees feel at days end :)

(I'm not a doctor, but I stayed at a Holiday Inn last night :silly: )

PS sorry about thread hijack

Hi,

Having had knee trouble for over 20 years, my problem is Chondromalacia Patellae, which is the back of the knee splitting and splintering, which then shreds the fluid sac behind it, then chewing up the cartilage,and eventually hitting the bones and getting ulcers on the back of the kneecap, (This generates a fair degree of discomfort !!)

I saw a decent orthopaedic surgeon who put carbon fibre patches on the back of the knee,which stabilises the condition, I cannot run, but otherwise get by.

If you have major pain get it checked out earlier rather than later, as left untreated the next stage is removal of the whole kneecap,which then buggers up the hips and back.

The common treatment,which only takes a couple of days to get over is an arthroscopy, where they make small incisions and put in a fibre optic camera to check out what is going on,and can clean out any debris and splinters, which can help a lot with reducing the pain.

Back onto topic, I think getting the ergonomics right is vital, I do up to 15/18,000 miles a year when I can so doing it with a handlebar that causes joint trouble is not wise !

Regards

Bobelpfan

az, I agree with the idea of getting a check-up, but it can be worth-while to check your habits first. Not all joint aches are signs of trouble, some maybe just due to age and/or lack of (appropriate) exercise (or weight ;) )... I find that pains after riding are often a result of too much tension during the ride, or of lack of abdominal exercise if the lower back is concerned.

I have to advise strongly against taking things like ibuprofen before hitting the road. It alters (degrades) your attentional state, one should not be operating risky devises with an effective dose in one's vein. That goes even more strongly for cocktails, where substances can amplify their efficiency/effects. Take the stuff after the ride, if possible before hitting the sack, to improve relaxation and thus healing of the traumatised tissues.

Oh, and unless there's been a big progress, it *should* only take a couple of days to get over an arthroscopy. Doctors will tell you not to worry, of course, but this can be less inoffensive as it seems. (Of course when the question arose for me, it was to check out my menisci, i.e. it involved getting inside the knee joint.)

Hi,

I agree that taking painkillers whilst riding should be avoided, and can only commment that the eight (count 'em) arthroscopy ops I have had since 1992 have been relatively quick to heal, although recovery gets slower as we age, (As the T shirt says, ''The older I get the faster I was'', I prefer a few beers after the ride rather than pills, but too many and I am up all night singing !

Regards

Bobelpfan

While others experience may differ, in my experience taking ibuprofen or aspirin or acetomeniphen or any other OTC pain medication at proper dosages has zero effect on my riding-and certainly is less of a distraction than riding with significant pain that could be eliminated or substantially reduced by said medication. Alcohol is quite another matter, ditto many other substances. As for prescription meds, they of course vary wildly in their effects, side effects, & how any given individual reacts to them.

And do you really think you can assess this yourself? Subtle effects can only be assessed properly in double-blind trials, where both observer and subject are unbiased.

To get rid of my knee pain i fitted Buell XB footpegs which lower your feet by an inch.
That inch makes all the difference! :laugh:

londonrob wrote:
To get rid of my knee pain i fitted Buell XB footpegs which lower your feet by an inch.
That inch makes all the difference! :laugh:

I have foot pegs from a new Goldwing on my Norge. Much bigger peg and I believe a little lower, also less vibration. The only downside, it wasn't a simple bolt on.

RJVB wrote:
And do you really think you can assess this yourself? Subtle effects can only be assessed properly in double-blind trials, where both observer and subject are unbiased.
I didn't mean to recommend something you don't like... just said what has worked (used occasionally)by me :unsure:
I researched on-line for studies that would show hazard in using otc anti-inflamitories without coming to the same concerns you have about their safety. I've found on the Iron-Butt riders site that many use aspirin, but avoid all caffeinated beverages. Once again... only sharing what has been useful for me, but am not voicing medical advice.

That all being said... I really like the comments on trying different pegs to change the ergonomics (sounds fun to try different options) ;)

YBFAST wrote:
didn't mean to recommend something you don't like... just said what has worked (used occasionally)by me :unsure:

Hmmm, what I like or not doesn't really come into play: I too would sometimes like to be able to take that kind of stuff before riding. Or things against anxiety, depression, you name it. I'm just not taking the risk as there is no clear indication there'd be none ... and I'm never alone on the road ;)

I researched on-line for studies that would show hazard in using otc anti-inflamitories without coming to the same concerns you have about their safety.

Well, that doesn't really amaze me. There's very little in terms of serious studies that I know of, and much of that probably isn't accessible publicly. (Rather, I know from collaborators who are medical doctors that there's preciously few independent studies on effect of various types of medication on driving fitness.)
I think there must be some ibuprofen here, I can try to see later what the leaflet has to say about operating dangerous machines. I'd tend to suggest taking paracetamol instead (even without driving/riding; less side-effects ;) ) or even aspirin (though it's known that makes one drowsy).

Oh, yeah, those pegs. I guess I don't need (lowered) pegs if I'd want to drag my feet ;)

RJVB wrote:

Yes. The point is that pain that is signficant enough to demand pain relievers is to me obviously more distracting than the possible subtle if existing at all effect of over the counter meds like aspirin/Tylenol/Ibuprofin when used as directed for the vast majority of folk. I don't need any double blind studies to come to this conclusion, to me it is obvious.

Getting back to the subject of this thread I have my bars installed and got a pleasant suprise. I can use the windshield mount of my Garmin GPS and mount the suction cup to the plastic on the upper clamp. I have a Cortech tank bag and had to move it back so the windshield buttons don't hit the bag. Enclosed are pictures. I have yet to ride it but next week it will get 600+ miles on it going to Virginia International Raceway for the AMA Superbike races. I still prefer maps. The GPS has not won me over by a long shot.

08 07 2009 Helibars 004

Ok, I put 1300 miles on the Norge last weeekend from NE Ohio to Virginia International Raceway through the backroads of West Virginia. I also had to do some long highway traveling due to riding part way back as my brother's bike had a problem and I had to follow him for that day to make sure he was ok.
Prior to the change I would get a sore shoulder and arm when doing long stretches. That is gone now. It is much more comfortable and easier to ride. I recommend them highly.

The only negative thing I have found with the Heli-Bars on my Norge is they transmit slightly more vibration to my hands. Other than that they are great and the better riding position makes up for vibration increase.

Hi,

I have received my new Helibars, very well made, but the cabling/brake hoses are VERY tight, I think the front hoses will need replacing, and I am experimenting to see if the throttles will work without modification.
I am puzzled as the set up should be identical to the Norge, and the Breva 1100, I have emailed Helibars website for advice,

Regards Bobelpfan

Back