• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Bill Hagan's CARCass

Bill Hagan

GT Reference
GT di Razza Pura
Above Pott's Camp along Braddock's route, Virginia
Some of you seeing this thread's title may be disappointed that this is not my obit :p , but for most of you, here is the story with a bad start and a happy ending, but also one that should give any Norge owner, at least, some pause.

Bottom Line Up Front: Norge CARC is trashed; Piaggio warranting a complete replacement.

I regret having to post this, but Guzzisti need to know about such things.

Hmmmmmm. Piaggio may not even allow me to buy a Tenni -- which I still very much wish to do when (yes, OK, if) it gets to USA -- as I have been an expensive customer for them. I sometimes feel like a Piaggio "Pig Pen," the character in the Peanuts comic strip, who was always being followed by a dust cloud.

It appears that [code for -- paraphrasing what I've been told and do not understand all the inner workings of the CARC or nomenclature] the ring nut (spanner nut ?) that keeps the drive shaft from back and forth movement came off. That allowed the drive shaft to part ways with the pinion gear -- you can see how I'm in way over my head now! -- on decel, which caused a distinctive metallic whirring sound I heard when backing off throttle on a recent trip to Cheaha in Alabama. That was more than sound, too, as, of course, it caused metal shiny bits to appear in the gear oil.

How did I discover this? Well, I did not make the connection (I'm just slow, I think, as it seems pretty darn possible now) between a pronounced "guh - THUNK" I heard beneath me when starting out on that Alabama ride and still very near my house. Actually thought at the time my center stand or side stand had not been fully up and had smacked up or, more likely, I had run over something unseen on Edgewood Avenue which, in that area, is a pretty Third World sort of place, and where one stops at at least at perceived peril, i.e., a nasty part of town.

But got off and checked my undercarriage. Nothing seemed amiss. Got back on and the Norge seemed fine. All seemed well, and I neither felt nor heard nor sensed otherwise anything else awry for at least 100 miles. Still not sure of any connection, btw, but mention this in the event that any of your CARCsters hear/feel such an unexplained sound. Only when well out on the ride in Alabama, 100 or so miles later, did I detect that metallic whirring when going off-throttle.

Took the Norge immediately to Riders Hill in Dahlonega. Ian, the Guzzi wrench there, in consultation with Papa Piaggio, did a partial autopsy, then sewed the patient back up, and pulled the sheet over the CARC pending replacement.

Apparently (again code, for I am not quoting any one person and am possibly garbling what several told me, so accept this as a likely flawed translation, not gospel), when the pinion is damaged, it is best to replace the entire rear-drive unit on the ground that it is not easy to set up a ring and pinion correctly and is not worth rebuilding only to find it makes some whine or noise because the backlash or gear meshing is not perfect.

I have asked if this -- what happened to mine -- is something the average owner (or "unaverage" owner!), dealer, wrench, etc., could ascertain as a looming problem without tearing the CARC down to pieces as had to be done to mine. The general view seems to be that if one were to pull the CARC unit and feel for play in the pinion one MAY be able to see the problem before a catastrophic failure, as was the case with my Norge.

If I were reading this post (and for sure if my Norge was no longer in warranty, which, happily for me, mine still is), I'd seriously consider at next major maintenance to either spend the c.$100 of labor to have the pinion looked at or do it myself. At $4K (yes, $4000! :woohoo: :woohoo: ) for a unit, no question. At some point, especially if we hear this being more than a literal one-off event, might need to see about becoming a forced official recall item with NHSTA, tho I am not sure about the life-and-limb concerns beyond wanting to pull one's hair out. For lots of reasons, hope we don't have to go there. Besides, Luigi may have had a bad night before doing my CARC. And, remember, too, that mine is (along with a couple of yours) one of the earliest Norges off the boat.

Anyway, will have it back soon. Cannot thank Riders Hill and Ian, especially, enough for his caring competence. He worked with Piaggio and the eastern tech to make this all happen quickly. For those (including me) who curse Piaggio for parts and other problems, know that Ian asked for approval of his diagnosis last Friday, got approval Tuesday, ordered new CARC on Wednesday ... and got it Friday. He's putting in on Saturday, today. That's service from top to bottom ... and why I still see a Tenni in my future.

Bill

Will try to post some pix soon so you can see what this looks like in metallic flesh.

Thanks for documenting this here Bill... look forward to shrapnel pics!

Great news on the STRT (speed to recovery time). ;)

Bill,

Thanks for the post. It sounds like that if this happens for on an out of warranty bike that it is try to repair the CARC, or part her out in hopes of getting a good down payment on a replacement bike.

My CARC story is less dramatic -

My Griso's CARC sprang an oil seal leak and instead of taking my bike into the shop I talked them into letting me bring them just the CARC unit - and then bought a CARC from eBay knowing that having work done in July was going to take time (for labor and getting parts). Turns out it was a good decision as it's been weeks but they did get everything done under warranty and I get to still ride my bike.

The CARC I bought was from a Breva 1100 with 1200 miles on it (the Breva and Griso use the same unit) and while it doesn't look pristine it does work fine. So - as and FYI for the future, I will have an extra CARC unit if someone finds themselves in the same bind I was in.

Wayne Orwig (Georgia Guzzi Guru) and Ian Adkins (the Riders Hill tech who is doing the work) responded on the wildguzzi side, with this that I thought warranted pasting in here:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Wayne:

Quote from: Bill Hagan on Today at 12:08:35 PM
the ring nut (spanner nut ?) that keeps the drive shaft from back and forth movement came off. That allowed the drive shaft to part ways with the pinion gear

To me it appears:
The locking tab that holds the pinion nut from turning cracked. The nut came loose. That let the pinion gear hammer back and forth and tear the threads out of the nut. So on decel, the pinion was getting sucked into the ring gear.

Bad, sure. But Piaggio isn't short cutting anything. Replace it all. That is good news.

====================

Ian:

Suprisingly, everything else in the rear drive was in good shape. The tiny bits of metal came from the pinion shaft threads "sawing" away the spanner nut threads and were isolated (settled) to the front and bottom of the box. I really think that had the pinion shaft threads not been damaged the whole unit could have been salvaged by simply replacing the broken lock tab washer and spanner nut. Seriously.

As it turns out, Piaggio quickly responded to my inquiries and, as Bill stated, I have a new complete CARC ready to install.

I do believe this to be an isolated case. I did check another customer's CARC (as he had just bought the bike and "thought" it was feeling a bit weird...which is totally understandable as the warranty had just run out). The CARC is easy to remove and you can see if the lock tab tang is in place with looking in the front and with a flashlight. You can also rotate the gear and feel for any play or irregularities.

=================

Bill

uncle wrote:
The CARC I bought was from a Breva 1100 with 1200 miles on it (the Breva and Griso use the same unit).

I thought the Griso has a lower top gear than the Breva, and this is achieved in the CARC.

Anyone else able to confirm this?

Re:Bill Hagan's CARCass [Update with Pix]

Picked up the Norge at Riders Hill yesterday.

Ended up spending good part of afternoon there.

Cannot say enough about the customer-focused operation of everyone there. Ian did the wrenching, but everyone at Riders Hill makes you feel that your business is important.

And, the do-what-they-say-they'll-do, the speed, and the quality of the service are all remarkable among all brands of dealers generally.

Anyway, here are a few pix (only 16, that's almost none compared to my usual hundreds! :p ) of the time there, including a few of how the failure of a two-bit part (or, possibly, its installer) cost Piaggio $4k for a new CARC and the labor to install same.

http://www.kodakgallery.com/ShareLandin ... leid=en_US

Rode it home late yesterday. Super to have it back. Romped in the hills a bit before hitting the slab, then got soaked in downtown Atlanta. Nothing a relleno and Stella couldn't make better. What a great motorcycle.

Bill

What seems odd is that it wasn't a tang that failed on the washer, it failed in the full cross section. What could cause this?
:unsure:

baloches wrote:
What seems odd is that it wasn't a tang that failed on the washer, it failed in the full cross section. What could cause this?
:unsure:

Notice that the inner locking tab on the washer is ripped off.

Wonder if that happened during the installation?
I guess a bit of contamination in the bearing could cause the inner bearing race to spin and go downhill from there.

We'll likely never know. And I know I'M not going to be hauling a case full of Grappa like some people. :eek:hmy:

Back