• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

ANY IDEAS?

Indeed. Also on the 2009 Norges, if I'm not mistaken ... but I have yet to hear one.

Gary: No, bad traction on 2 lane highways with nice black streaks from the crap dripping off of impecably maintained 50' logging trucks. I've seen what a logging truck does to a car up close, I'm not trifling with 'em in the rain. Just a pussy I guess. Lol.
FBC
PS Not chatter, clunks when stone cold on release once in a while,no big deal.

Frosty,

What you are describing......does it happen when you hit a rough spot in the road, like a bump? Check the steering stem, mine loosened up at 5,000 miles. It was a metal to metal clanging noise as well.

Well the noise is back!! Had the valves adjusted at 2700 km. and they checked for excessive end float on the rocker spindles.Was told they were as tight as could be. I'm trying to find out the exact measurement, Pete if you're out there, do you know what the end clearance should be? Couldn't find a spec in the service manual. The knock didn't occur for about say 75km, but I rode for about 120-130 km non stop 2 days ago and towards the end of the ride heard it about half a dozen times, doesn't increase in volume or frequency as time goes by. Wierd. Still looking.
FBC

The knocking noise put in an appearance in front of a witness... see 'Check that final drive!' post. I'll let y'all know what comes.
FBC

The infamous knock appeared to come from the r/h cylinder head area( much clearer once heard off bike) . What was found by dealer: Nothing initially, Mechanic started to disassemble cam, rockers ect and found that when the cam was rotated by hand it was binding up in one portion of the rotation. With the cam cap bolts loosened it was free for 360 degrees. With bolts torqued down properly it would bind again. Cam cap has been replaced and so has the cam shaft as on the tip of both lobes, like a hot spot/ distressed area could be seen. Hopefully the knock will be gone.
FBC

I take it this is an 8V bike. Has it had the cam recall if eligible? Were the cams and tappets replaced?

Clearances should be 4 thou inlet and 6 exhaust. Sthere ahve been reports of some bikes ticking at the top end and this it seems may be due to excess end float in the rockers.

Not having seen an example of this it is very hard to make any sort of diagnosis.

Pete

Pete: yeah it's an 8v. The cam recall was done,cams and tappets replaced, end float in the rocker spindles were previously checked , no issue there. Not a ticking sound but a definite knock. The cam cap had nothing visible wrong other than it was binding with the cam shaft. The cam probably have eventually worn out or failed by the look of the ends of the lobes.Now all I gotta wait for is the parts for the CARC and I'll have a bike again.
FBC

Uh? so what happened to the CARC? I must of missed that.

On the 'Knock' there are the obvious culprits of the crank nut or the dummy shaft nut but I find it hard to believe that any bike with miles will suffer from these loosening.

TB ballance and idle speed IS critical. The engine is designed to idle at 1200RPM. Lower than that and the accelerative and decelerative forces on the timing gear train and the transmission components WILL cause knocking due to the 270/450 firing intervals. The flywheel on the 8V may be a bit heavier than the last of the twin plater flywheels but it is still light compared to earlier bikes. Bore stroke ratio is different too as is rod/stroke. All of this can have a marked effect on the smoothness of the motor, as can the TB ballance obviously. If one cylinder is working appreciably harder than the other it's going to cause vibrations and odd loadings in the driveline.

Once the cam-boxes are off and the tappets out the cam should spin freely with no tight spots. A tight spot would have to indicate that both pieces, the bearing and the journal, were out of round.

Unfortunately if you have buggered about with airbox lids and stuff you may well find that your warranty has been invalidated. Although there is nothing *obvious* that might cause deformation of the cam-boxes more air and less fuel means more heat. If there was too much the cam-boxes may of deformed. Not saying it's likely but it is an argument that could be used to prove you haven't maintained the bike to factory specs. Bye-Bye warranty.

If the Canadisn situation is really dire WRT spares and support surely it is unwise to try and start modifying stuff off your own bat? I may be wrong but you are the bloke with the Holey airbox aren't you?

Even though our importer is pretty good in the scheme of things I make damn sure that any mods I make are small, incremental and based on an understanding of the motor in a holistic sense. I know there is a lot of talk about 'Freeing up the Breathing' and airbox mods but unless you can, and understand how, you have to modify the fuel delivery all you are asking for is trouble. This is one of the main reasons I'm extremely cautious about posting up anything about modifications I've made. While I may have success it doesn't mean what I try will work for every bike, not even every 8V Griso that is kitted exactly like mine.

While not discouraging experimentation on has to accept that if you try something and it turns your motor into a pile of glowing slag crying 'Warranty' simply ain't gunna cut it!!!!

Pete

Whhhat??? No dude, My bike is completely stock, even all of the accessories are Guzzi!. This bike has been worked on by no one other than the Importer/Dealers (one and the same) mechanics. It's all warranty.That described is what they found with the cam box and cam. The carc bearings crapped out on me a week ago. Anything gone wrong on this Bike is from chance/ crap parts installed at factory, not from half assed mods ( drilling holes in airbox ) neglect or abuse. This sucker is not allowed to run with sloppy valve clerances or out of sync throttle bodies or hunting tps, It's been dealt with pronto when I've felt/ heard change. That's why after 5 months of ownership I'm becoming real unimpressed with this shit show. Bikes awesome but cams are shit,final drive is shit,communicating with dealer shit, every other dealer
I looked into didn't know ass from whole in wall...shit. so if I seem kind of negative about the experience, I appologize.
FBC

pete roper wrote:
I may be wrong but you are the bloke with the Holey airbox aren't you?

While not discouraging experimentation on has to accept that if you try something and it turns your motor into a pile of glowing slag crying 'Warranty' simply ain't gunna cut it!!!!

Pete
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: Naa... I'm the chuckle-head with the blessed air-box mods ;)
After that confession: My ride is wayyyy of warranty and I have no problems paying for my own dick-ups. Also... the only mod I've done while warranty was active was a "cannectomy" to eliminate tank suck etc. as I respect the factory and the dealer having enough to deal with without my adding to the list unnessesarily :dry: (its all fair game now though ;) )

I feel bad for your situation FBC and hope your dealer woes are a fluke and everything works out for you soon! (by the way... nice Avatar lol)

YB: I figured it was an appropriate image given the situation. Bike was excellent for about 2500k as soon as it hit 3000 went south quick! Yeah my only bitch is the support,while the rest is not good,things happen and what is broke can be fixed.If anything will make me ditch this ride it is the support! It's all local from what I can see,I can't blame Guzzi/Piaggio 'cause it's nothing they are/are not doing. I'm supposed to be notified tomorrow on the shipping/order status of the parts for the carc, from what I'm told the top end issue with the r/h jug has been dealt with. We will see once I get it back. Huh just occured to me, in 3100k it's had 5 camshafts!
FBC

There have been a couple of 8V Grisos in Oz that came with crappy computers. Dunno if it was programing or an actual hardware problem but one bloke who used to post here had no end of problems getting the wretched thing to run right until the importer flung a new 'pooter at it. Since yours *did* originally run right it is not likely to be that but its worth lookin at.

Pete

The bike runs right, always did. The only thing wrong was the knocking noise. What was found was a binding cambox/cam and mechanical damage to the tips of the cam lobes. I'm not 100% but I don't think a malfunctioning computer would do that.
FBC

Cam replaced, followers and cam box. carc is also done . Pick it up Thurs. will see if it behaves now. I hope so Gee I really hope so! lol
FBC

Well picked up my bike this morning and funny thing manager totally pissed me off. Why i oughta... Any way on the ride home it was quite obvious the engine was reving a little more freely, which makes sense if you have a cambox impedeing the rotation of a camshaft. We'll see how it goes. Gary, people always say smoking kills.... not always, I smoked a cigarette instead of killing the idiot manager of the dealer. LOL By the way saw a very nice 67 V7 riden by a nice old guy, I said to him it looks like that one is more reliable than the new ones. He replied yeah it is, I've got a new one too!
FBC

Back