• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

snapping forks

RJVB

GT Reference
Some info from the old continent.

Care is required changing the front tyre on the Stelvio. Apparently, several people have found the wheel mounts in their forks (the pinch or however you call it?) broken at the level of the two small bolts, after a tyre change, verification of the bolts or retorqueing. Guzzi's official standpoint is that they trust Marzocchi, and that the problem can only be due to an over-tightening at more than the official 10Nm (or any other value??).

The good-to-know thing: they'll only change the forks under warranty if this occurs in the hands of an official MG dealer.

Strange affair if you ask me. I'd expect more margin in the specified torque value, and also a material that isn't so brittle it breaks in 2 if you overdo the tightening..

I have never heard of this happening with any other marzocchi products.
I agree sounds like abuse. Can you quantify how much of a problem this is, i.e. how many warantee replacements?

I had the same problem here in Guatemala last week, with two Stelvio's, and they send me to hell with warranty, nice to know it is happening in Europe too.

Antonio Alday
Tar Moto, S.A.
Guatemala

Are you a Guzzi dealer?

Did it happen while you were doing the operation, or can you otherwise say anything about what might have caused it (see the 'abuse' remarks above)?

The answer to the question above is 7. No idea how many of those were replaced under warranty.

Yeah, aluminium is maybe a bit too un-elastic for that kind of application. What is this part made of on the other current models?

I just receive a mail from Moto Guzzi, and they told me they will assume the warranty of the forks. NICE FOR THEM AND MG!

Antonio Alday
Tar Moto, S.A.
Guatemala

RJVB wrote:
Yeah, aluminium is maybe a bit too un-elastic for that kind of application. What is this part made of on the other current models?
Well I can remember the same problem on Norton forks 40 years ago. Alloy castings in all cases, and the pinch bolts done up too tight usually.

Hi Gang

Come on lads Marzocci have been making this type of fork for donkeys :)
Piaggio have fitted them in almost all of the Aprila's and MG have used them also, Allu forks just dont suddenly become shite.

It's either bad spannering or a bad batch of forks ;)

Lets wait and see how many failures there are before we all go commit harrycari.

Loftyjohn

PS Dont tell my bike ther are more Stelvio probs he might just want it!

John, you'll agree that if this type of fork has been made for donkeys, the majority of "donkey doctors" out there would know how to do regular interventions on them without breaking anything, no? I can accept bad spannering if it happens from time to time, esp. to someone without a lot of wrenching experience.

Hey, maybe it's a conspiracy, fuelled by BMW who don't like how many sales the S steals from them, paying non-MG dealers/mechanics to do just that bit of abuse to make us lose confidence in the model :silly: ;)

Took a couple of pics of the stelvio fork ends and the Honda ends With the honda and most general forks all forces transmitted from the front wheel are send directly up the fork where as with the Guzzi forks there must be some energy absorbed into the upper pary of the clamp.

IMG_0054.jpg
[/

Thought I would check my forks and here is the result.

Only covered 2300 miles so I've had no reason take the front wheel out.
Either a defective fork or an over torque by the dealer or manufacturer.

Will be contacting the Dealer tomorrow.

Back