• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Moto Guzzi 8V engine vibration

TRw1

Just got it firing!
GT Contributor
I'm looking at the Griso 8V and test rode one for a few miles. The bike only had about 10 miles on the clock, but it felt and sounded like it was running strong. I felt a lot of vibration throughout the rev range and was surprised. I currently ride a BMW K1200S, but had 2 Ducati's before that and still ride friend's Ducatis occasionally. The Ducati is lumpy down low and has some buzz above 5-6000 rpm, but has a mid-range very smooth spot. I was very surprised that I did not find this on the Griso. Is this a characteristic of the Guzzi engine or was the one I rode perhaps not sorted correctly? I'm looking forward to getting back to a V-twin, but did not expect a very healthy amount of vibration at every engine speed. Thanks for your inputs.

I can't speak for the new Griso 8v. I have an 07 Griso 1100 4v. My bike is a little vibey in a couple places below 4K (3200 and 3600rpm I'm guessing here) but everything above 4k is smooth. The sweet spot for cruising is between 4-5K. My guess is the 8v you test rode has not been set up properly. And they do smooth out with miles. I wouldn't count it out just yet. I'm sure others on this forum will have some good input for you. Good luck!

Vibration? now, there is a subject we could go on about for hours!

OK, the 8V in stock trim DOES vibrate more than the 4V. The main reason for this, (Apart from poor set up. Any bike that is poorly set up is bound to vibrate more!) is the fact that at certain points it is critically lean, this is especially true of the closed loop portion of its mapping.

First thing is to get the TPS checked and the throttle bodies ballanced as well as ensuring the tappets are set correctly.

Second thing is to make sure the #2 map is installed. This does help significantly.

After that there are a number of options from the cheap and cheerful like the 'Fat Duc' O2 manipulator which while apparently was a bit of a disaster for Todd on the Dyno actually has made a significant difference to the closed loop running on my 8V and has smoothed out both vbes and the throttle response at small throttle openings with no downside apart from a rather odd sensitivity to ambient air temperature. Right the way through to full map modifier kits and ECU re-flashing as Todd is offering with the PCV & auto-tune package or Rapidbike are claiming to offer with their system. FWIW I have both on order and will be experimenting with both over the next few months. Rapidbike have been pissing me about though and while I'm still currently giving them the benefit of the doubt it seems that their system is under-develped so far and i've been told another two weeks is the time prior to shipping....... Hmmmmmm!

As a generalization though you'll never get a great, big, antedeluvian, air/oil cooled ditchpump to be as smooth as a modern liquid cooled DOHC twin. There are a host of reasons for this all stemming from design factors. Call it 'Character' or simply obsolete design but it does mean that a Guzzi IS 'Different' and won't feel like a Japanese multi or even modern watercooled twin, (My Aprilia Mana is positively bland by comparison with my Griso, but I know which one I prefer!!!!! :D ). Theya ren't for everyone and if you find *any* vibration too much then it won't be the bike for you.

If, OTOH you like something that shakes and shudders like something from the dawn of the industrial revolution, roars and rumbles like a *real* motorbike of yore but still has the fun factor to gobble up horizon at a modern enough rate, has killer looks and won't be seen with a dozen others just like it every time you park up it really is a spectacular great lump!!!!

It even does dirt quite welll!!!!!! :mrgreen:

3961443202_d88657c5bd.jpg

Pete

Dirt?.... I'd say it looks more like you've been riding through a milk barn! :lol:

I have recently bought a 8V Stelvio, after riding a number of Harley's. The Stelvio is by far a more uncomfortable ride. really disappointed think the Guzzi looks great, but vibration is awful.
Is there a simple solution without having engine remapping, you should be able to buy bike from the dealer running at its best. Any ideas apart from swap for a BMW GS.
Dave

It shouldn't vibrate really badly, its simply that it isn't anodyne and bland like so many modern motorbikes. First step would be to get the throttle bodies ballanced correctly and the TPS re-set. A depressingly large number of 'Technicians' don't seem to know how to do this so take the bike to someone who does.

Essentially though. Guages on. Air bleeds closed. Ballance at 3-4,000RPM using the screw on the bell crank under the LH throttle body. Let throttle return to idle. Open air bleed on whichever side has the higher manifold vacuum to get idle ballance spot on. Then reset TPS.

Of course that is assuming that the bike has been serviced properly and the valve clearances are right. Check also that the spark plug boots are in good condition and not arcing to earth. Better yet piss 'em off and fit some NGK SB05E's.

Pete

dave007 said:
I have recently bought a 8V Stelvio, after riding a number of Harley's. The Stelvio is by far a more uncomfortable ride. really disappointed think the Guzzi looks great, but vibration is awful.
Is there a simple solution without having engine remapping, you should be able to buy bike from the dealer running at its best. Any ideas apart from swap for a BMW GS.
Dave

There's more to setup than putting the key in and saying, "There ya go." Unfortunately, many Guzzi "dealers" are of the there ya go mentality, and don't have a clue about proper setup. The 8 valve is as smooth or smoother than any Harley I've ridden..

Hi,
dave007 said:
I have recently bought a 8V Stelvio, after riding a number of Harley's. The Stelvio is by far a more uncomfortable ride.
That's strange, in my opinion...
I've been riding Harley for the last 20 years, both Evo engines.
The first straight in the frame, the second (the one I have for nearly 19 years now) is rubbermounted.
My Griso 1200 is riding with less vibrations as my Harley.
He's letting you feel that there is a 1200 cc V-twin working below you, "He's talking to you... :mrgreen: ".
And if you like a (maybe) less vibration machine, probably easyer to ride, maybe even a better build bike..
It's possible a better choice to buy a BMW :eek:hmy: .
Than you can join the club of thousends, ride what the rest rides.
Ride your Guzzi, (nearly) everybody looks back...
They are jealous about you, you were allowed to buy thát bike from your wife :whistle:

Enjoy life.
Ad B

:D Vibration is totally subjective. If you jump off a 6 cylinder Gold Wing and get on a Guzzi, it'll feel like a jackhammer. If you jump off a Norton Atlas onto a Guzzi, it'll feel like a magic carpet. My 8v Griso isn't as smooth as my MkV LeMans was, but it is a whole lot more powerful, and that is a small price to pay, IMO. In my long Guzzi experience, they most definitely get smoother with more mileage. When I test rode a new Stelvio, I found it wonderfully smooth.......................but then, I'd just jumped off my Falcone!!!!!!!

Back