• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Coast to Coast (RT 66) on a griso

speedcraft

Tuned and Synch'ed
Just got back from the coast to coast run......mid October 2009

About 3000 miles...
0 close calls
0 mechanical issues
0 equipment issues
0 clouds (some far away wisps only)....so why did I buy a rain suit?
some strong winds
cold air
High mileage day Saturday...690--- Grants, NM to Shawnee, OK
Low mileage day Thursday because I left at noon.....260--- Bakersfield, CA to Needles, CA

Mohave Desert

Outside Kingman, AZ

Natchez Trace Parkway Mississippi

Can only mean one thing (318 turns in 11 miles)

The Tail of the Dragon

Came home through the Smokey's on the Blue Ridge Parkway.....wonderfull machine

rdl

Attachments

• cc1.jpg
    cc1.jpg
    104.8 KB · Views: 1,655
  • oatman.jpg
    oatman.jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 1,655
  • cc3.jpg
    cc3.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 1,655
  • cc4.jpg
    cc4.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 1,654
  • dragona.jpg
    dragona.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 1,655
Very nice.

When I saw the title, I could only think one of the coasts had to be on Lake Michigan...

Did you happen to get through Oatman or Peach Springs or Amboy (on 66)? I'm wondering how the somewhat limited range of the Griso worked out on those stretches. It looks like your saddle bags is resting on the exhaust--how'd that work out?

So inquiring minds want to know, if home is in PA, how'd you start in SoCal? You should've posted a note in the Southwest section, would've been fun to meet up before you left.

Thanks for the photos and words. Brings back some good memories. I rode the Smokies and the "Dragon" countless times in the late 80's, early 90's.

Yes I hit all three......fed the wild burros in Oatman while drinking my morning coffee......the griso holds 22 liters so I get 150 - 190 miles without cutting it close. I did stop for gas whenever I saw one and had more than 100 on the trip meter, but I never ran into a problem only putting in 2 - 3 gallons at a time. The fact that I had no cell coverage out there and there was NO traffic kept me honest.

I even stopped in Bellmont...to see the Easy rider "no vacancy" sign.....

The bags are not sitting on the pipe there is about 3" gap.....but they have a heat shield on the bottom and the carbon fiber mistral can does not get hot (even after running all day).

I was on a tight schedule, but I had watched the South west boards for activity....just did not work out. Someone who used to work for me was moving to Bakersfield in search of work.....he was renting a truck and towing a trailer with his car on it. Since he never drove a truck, nor towed a trailer or gone cross country before.....I offered to help. Then I found that Penske had made him rent a larger truck than he needed (because of the weight of the trailer and car).....and then the idea of hauling my bike out with the truck and riding home got stuck in my head.

So I spent 3 days driving a 22' truck plus trailer out west (in bad weather)....unloading the truck (bike went in first)....and then a week to get home. You just don't get the opportunity very often.

camping in Needles, ca

rt66

My shack at the Shackup Inn Clarckdale, MS

the Blue Ridge Parkway

Just fun...

Attachments

• cc2.jpg
    cc2.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 1,621
  • cc8.jpg
    cc8.jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 1,622
  • cc9.jpg
    cc9.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 1,621
  • cc6.jpg
    cc6.jpg
    102.1 KB · Views: 1,622
speedcraft said:
Yes I hit all three......fed the wild burros in Oatman while drinking my morning coffee

Very good. The last time I was in Oatman on the Guzzi was 1998, and I got the burro to prove it...
sw050.jpg

Have you enlarged the tank somehow? Griso tank stock is 16.7 litres. It's the only thing that bugs me about the 8V it is monstrously greedy! Having said that I've never felt that I might run out of gas but Daniel is heading off on it in a couple of weeks time and will be heading North. There are some longish stretches up north, inland, where fuel is scarce.

pd2219499.jpg

P9240048.JPG

BN3695_22-FB.jpg

Pete

Hey Speedy, thanks for letting us tag along on your trip.

Great opportunity as you said.

Ah yeah.....although my "book" says the Griso has just over 17 liters (22 liters is the manx alloy tank I have been chasing for another project)...

The low fuel light comes on a bit early, and it makes me nervous...plus we have had a lot of service stations close in the states. So I rarely put in more than 4 gallons.

The worst I saw where stretches of 45 and 50 miles with out service......I understand Utah has a few over 100 miles. Just don't want to wander into one of those without thinking.

At first I was concerned (having just serviced the bike)....with my 39 MPG in Arizona and New Mexico. Full wind sail of a pack, averaging 75 MPH per tank even with a leg stretch, and running between 5 and 7 thousand feet altitude....might explain it.

I was back in the high 40's on the blue ride parkway.....

How do you california guys deal with those fuel hoses out there? I had to hold the recapture thing up with my fingers so I could see to get it full and it kept hiting the cap???

I have a friend in Exmouth.....he says I should bring a bike out to ride there frm Perth (was he trying to get me stranded in the bush?)

rdl

pete roper said:
Have you enlarged the tank somehow? Griso tank stock is 16.7 litres. It's the only thing that bugs me about the 8V it is monstrously greedy! Having said that I've never felt that I might run out of gas but Daniel is heading off on it in a couple of weeks time and will be heading North. There are some longish stretches up north, inland, where fuel is scarce.

pd2219499.jpg

Pete

Pete,

This is the road we need to put Guzzi designers on. Maybe then we can get decent size fuel tanks. Even the 1100 Breva or Norge would just make the first stop with luck, anything else, no way.

Pete,

This is the road we need to put Guzzi designers on. Maybe then we can get decent size fuel tanks. Even the 1100 Breva or Norge would just make the first stop with luck, anything else, no way.[/quote]

John. I don't think daniel will be game to try the Barkly Highway

maps

Nah, the image ain't loading, but go to Google Maps and type in Barkly Hwy Australia. It ain't Griso territory, S'not even stelvio or GS Beemer territory. It's KTM or RD 400 territory! Really. You'll end up drinking a LOT of your own urine out there if you try and do it on a Guzzi! :mrgreen:

(edit!) Nah, I'm talking shit again. It's part of Highway 1. I'll be doing it on the Griso in a couple of years but it WILL be requiring some serious fuel storage improvement! I was mixing it up with another bit of outback munt-road! I'll be having to at least DOUBLE the G's fuel capacity. The bloke with the modified and tanked-up stelvio had the right idea!!!

Pete

Back