• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Oil Filter Options... CARC Guzzis

AAAltered468

Tuned and Synch'ed
Through searching the forums I found the oil filters that cross to the Guzzi PN.

I can certainly get a Fram PH3614 locally and cheap.

While researching I read (somewhere) that automobile filters may have different flow characteristics that a MC filter, making them NOT suitable replacements.

Truth or Bunk????

Thanks for your knowledge,
Ed

Re: Oil Filter Options...

I do not use Fram filters for anything as a rule. If you cut one open you will see why.
That said, if a filter is spec'ed for your application then it should be fine. The fact that a filter fits does not mean it is the right filter as there are internal differences in the filters like flow and at what pressure does the bypass valve open. But if it is spec'ed by the maker for your application then it should be in the ball park. But I would use a higher quality filter then a Fram. Wix makes a well made filter for Guzzi's and if you can't find WIX then NAPA Golds are WIX filters. The WIX part # for a V11 (2001) is 51215, the NAPA Gold # is something like PS1215 or just 1215. The new big blocks seem to use the same filter, or atleast the 2 valve Griso's do. There are other options as well, I would just stay away from Fram, or atleast do some research on them.
Here is a start.
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ub ... er=1660089
and
http://minimopar.knizefamily.net/oilfilters/index.html
(the Fram is made by Honeywell)

Hello all;

The Service Tech Manager at Nationals gave me the following information this year;

"For all the Breva, Norge, Griso, etc with the external oil filter.. .A filter that fits the Toyota 4.7L V8 engine will also fit the Guzzi. In fact the Factory now supplys an OEM version (the black filter) It has a deeper throat and threads that will solve the leaking problem the UNI filter exhibits. Also.. His recommendation is to TORQUE the filter on to 15 FtLBS.
This is now what service techs are being taught at Guzzi school."

Thanks to Roger G. - Part no. Toyota Tundra 4.7 v 90915-yzzd3

The UFI is NOT the supplied filter from guzzi. It is now a filter that matches the requirements above.

sbaker said:
Hello all;

The Service Tech Manager at Nationals gave me the following information this year;

"For all the Breva, Norge, Griso, etc with the external oil filter.. .A filter that fits the Toyota 4.7L V8 engine will also fit the Guzzi. In fact the Factory now supplys an OEM version (the black filter) It has a deeper throat and threads that will solve the leaking problem the UNI filter exhibits. Also.. His recommendation is to TORQUE the filter on to 15 FtLBS..

The UFI is NOT the supplied filter from guzzi. It is now a filter that matches the requirements above.

That's for the tip Sam, I'll start using them after my current supply of UFI's is exhausted, although I had the leak problem with two of the old style UFI (8 Flute)filters, I now am on my 2nd 14 flute style UFI and have not had the issue with either one. K&N makes a filter for the Toyota HP-1002 and it has the nut welded on the end and looks like it can be saftey wired as there is a hole going through the nut on the picture I saw.

HP-1002.jpg

oil and oil filters are always an argument......

I also have given up on fram (used to race with them).....and you should see what some of the new chinese filters look like after on a few hundred miles (pleats all distorted).

Personally I like small micron filters with synthetic oil (means not paper)....I use Mann on the MB and I have been running a Purolator Pure One on the griso (pl10241). It may be a little bigger but it fits, has very good specs (10 microns) and is used by other motorcycles. This is the filter used on the Toyota tundra V8.

As mentioned above Napa uses mostly WIX filters and they are very good......but you do have to check, Napa has been sourcing from elsewhere. In fact the last time I went for a napa filter the owner warned me...we opened three boxes of the same "gold" filter and we found China, Hungary and Germany for manufacturer and I don't think any of them were a WIX.

rdl

sbaker said:
Hello all;

"For all the Breva, Norge, Griso, etc with the external oil filter.. .A filter that fits the Toyota 4.7L V8 engine will also fit the Guzzi. In fact the Factory now supplys an OEM version (the black filter) It has a deeper throat and threads that will solve the leaking problem the UNI filter exhibits. Also.. His recommendation is to TORQUE the filter on to 15 FtLBS.

Thanks to Roger G. - Part no. Toyota Tundra 4.7 v 90915-yzzd3

All above is correct except for the torque specification. The correct torque spec is 15 Nm or 11 Lb-ft (BTW, Ft-Lbs is a unit of work, not torque). The torque spec sounded high so I double checked with my source at Moto Guzzi. Also MGNA is recommending the Bosch 3330 if the UFI leaks.

>>Also MGNA is recommending the Bosch 3330 if the UFI leaks.

And on my Griso, I am using a Bosch 3400 (or is it a 3340?).

Same specs as the 3330, except for being about 15mm longer, giving it just a bit more capacity.

Naturally YMMV.

BTW, the taller one will NOT FIT on the V11's. Do NOT ask me how I know this.

Ride safe, and WEAR YOUR GEAR!!

-Jack

Does the relief valve setting matter, looking at some of the options there is a variance between 7 and 15 psi ?

Who to believe?

New '07 Griso owner here, changed oil today because not sure when it was changed last by first owner and for winter storage. Rotella T6 and oil filter Fram PH6022 based on this recommendation...

http://www.mgnoc.com/article_oil_filters_revisited.html

Also, it might be leaking a little at the oil filter at 18 Nm. I can't tell if it was excess oil from my gasket lubing or legit oil leak while running bike after oil poured in to get oil level correct. Will a little more tightening in the torque range usually cure this if it is leaking? BTW, it's not leaking while parked in garage since change and filter wipe off.

-Jon D.

Hi Jon, How did you come to select Rotella 6T? There's nothing in the referenced article about that. My understanding is that the T6 is the wrong weight and not SG rated. Check your owners manual, I believe MG states Agip 10w60 or a SG rated oil like V-Twin Mobil 1.

Here's another thread covering this issue which refs two more threads. It's been batted around a bit.

jdelv said:
Who to believe?

New '07 Griso owner here, changed oil today because not sure when it was changed last by first owner and for winter storage. Rotella T6 and oil filter Fram PH6022 based on this recommendation...

Also, it might be leaking a little at the oil filter at 18 Nm. I can't tell if it was excess oil from my gasket lubing or legit oil leak while running bike after oil poured in to get oil level correct. Will a little more tightening in the torque range usually cure this if it is leaking? BTW, it's not leaking while parked in garage since change and filter wipe off.

-Jon D.

Ditch the Fram filter, their construction is not good. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nfj9KUv0pKY http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ub ... ber=320113 Try the Bosch 3330 (Same filter used on BMWs except the new R1200s), it was recommended to me by MGNA service rep. Also spec for Guzzi is to torque the oil filter to 15 Nm.

Rafael said:
Hi Jon, How did you come to select Rotella 6T? There's nothing in the referenced article about that. My understanding is that the T6 is the wrong weight and not SG rated. Check your owners manual, I believe MG states Agip 10w60 or a SG rated oil like V-Twin Mobil 1.

Griso manuals state 5w40 weight. Local guzzi dealer said run full synthetic. I won't be riding the bike for a few months...so I have time to figure this stuff out. I'll check container for SG rating when I get home.

If the Fram's suck, why would it be posted at the MGNOC site? Just curious.

Thanks.

-Jon

Is Rotella good for motorcycles?
Seems so: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shell_Rotella_T

The Griso manuals state:
"LUBRICANT CHART
(Recommended) Engine oil: Agip RACING 4T 5 W 40.
As an alternative to recommended oils, top brand oils meeting or exceeding CCMC G-4 A.P.I. SG specifications can be used." The Rotella T6 is 5 W 40 weight.

Fram filter approved by MG:

Griso manuals state under "Oil and Filter Change":
"Fit the new filter and screw by means of
the special tool (tightening torque 18-20
Nm)."

What am I missing here?

Thanks,

-Jon

There is a technical note released in July 2006 on recommended oil for several models. I believe Guzzi recommends 10W-60 for Griso (both 1100 and 1200), that should supersede the 5W-40 stated in Griso 1100 manual.

TECHNICAL NOTE No. 010-2006

Phang

john zibell said:
...Try the Bosch 3330 (Same filter used on BMWs except the new R1200s), it was recommended to me by MGNA service rep...
Has anyone tried the new "Distance Plus" series of Bosch filters?

http://www.boschautoparts.com/filters/Pages/DistancePlusOilFilters.aspx

There's a 3330 version of it, so I guess it should have the same specs (i.e., relief valve PSI) as the old 3330?
I heard they are made by Purolator, which is now owned by Bosch - nice thing about them, Walmart now carries them (at least in my area).

Griso manuals state under "Oil and Filter Change":
"Fit the new filter and screw by means of
the special tool (tightening torque 18-20
Nm)."

What am I missing here?
You're missing the fact that it is not uncommon for Guzzi shop manuals to report info that is blatantly wrong.

For example, the manual for the Griso 8V sets the tightening torque for the 10mm spark plugs at 30Nm - that's more than 2 times higher than it should be :shock:...

Phang said:
Thanks for posting the link, Phang.

Concerning the oil grade for the gearbox and final transmission, what is the reason for Guzzi to recommend so slightly different grades (85W-90 vs. 80W-90)?

I am already using Mobil 1 Synthetic 75W-90 for the final transmission on my G8VSE; can anyone think of a reason why I shouldn't use the same oil for the gearbox?

Thanks.

The differences between the two grades are so minor that they are essentially meaningless. They will almost certainly be some sort of engineering theory *Ideal* weight for the two differing purposes but in real terms ???

FWIW I use a 75/90 full synth in both and none of the bikes I service has gone 'Udders Skywards' yet.

Pete

Back