• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Hydraulic Valves - 2 questions

Walt

Just got it firing!
1 - Which years/models have hydraulic valve adjusters? Has Guzzi gone away from them?

2 - How well do they work?

I'm considering purchasing a new or a slightly used Guzzi. And, it's been difficult getting opinions on how well hydraulic valves perform compared with standard valves. I've heard mostly negative, but would appreciate your input.

Walt said:
1 - Which years/models have hydraulic valve adjusters? Has Guzzi gone away from them?
In the U.S.? Some late model '02's had hydraulic lifters; some Aluminum & EV's (and a few Stones), but basically all '03+ Cali's. The new '06+ Cal Vintage does not have them, nor does any current model.

2 - How well do they work?
They went through 2 recalls. The final recall has most motoring happily along, or we've heard very little about them being problematic. Perhaps more will comment.

I'm considering purchasing a new or a slightly used Guzzi. And, it's been difficult getting opinions on how well hydraulic valves perform compared with standard valves. I've heard mostly negative, but would appreciate your input.
If I (personally) had a choice, I'd buy a non-hyrda motor, but again, many hydra's running along just fine out there. What model(s) are you looking at?

I prefer a 'Titanium' or other late model Tonti frame. I won't move on one until I understand the valve situation better. What's the valve maintenance on them? and other such questions

Walt said:
I prefer a 'Titanium' or other late model Tonti frame. What's the valve maintenance on them? and other such questions
OK, well all Titanium's are hydra... and hydraulic lifters mean *no* valve adjustment/maintenance. Just basic periodic TPS check and throttle body balance.

The final *fix* for the Hydro Cam issue works well. To see if it has been performed pop a valve cover off and look at the tops of the rockers above the pushrods. If there is a locknut with what looks like a broken off bit on the top then the recall has been done. The valve spring retaining caps should also be shiny aluminium not a dull brown colour.

The only real issue with the hydro bikes is if the recall was carried out BEFORE the followers had a chance to fail. Why is this so important? Well, unfortunately when the recall was announced and instructions sent out on how to perform it the factory never TOLD people to inspect the oil pump. Now the oil pump is the ONLY bit of the engine that gets un-filtered oil and if it has had great chunks of buggered lifter and cam lobe going through it it will be horribly damaged. Because the hydros use a really low viscosity oil to enable quick flow to the lifters on start-up any damage to the pump translates to very low oil pressure once the engine is warm with predictable results. Checking the pump only requires the removal of four more bolts and it SHOULD occur to any half way decent mechanic that this will need checking whether the factory tells them to or not. On all of the Hydros I did the recall on that had suffered a cam failure every single one needed a new oil pump so I'd slap in a warrannty claim. After I sent pics of the first munted one to the importer they never queried it again!

People worry about the longevity of the Hydro motor, I dunno why? I had a Titanium in a couple of weeks ago that had just clocked up 160,000Km. The owner had done all his oil changes and filters plus brake pads etc. apart from that NOTHING was touched. It had a PCIII on it so I got it dyno tuned, replaced the UJ boot which had a tear in it, put some new shocks on it and changed the fork oil, (First time that had been done!) and checked everything else out and it was tickety-boo and ready to roll, didn't even need to re-tension the spokes!

Some of the Hydros also had a single plate clutch SOME of which wore rapidly and some of them also had a problem with the fuel hose in the tank blowing off the pump. That is easily fixed by using a decent piece of fully submersible hose (Gates make a hose, the number on the bag says 27093, 4219-5184 1EA/F Not sure which one is the product code.) Finally one batch of lower triple clamps were recalled due to cracking, check the Vin# with a reputable dealer.

Apart from that? The Hydros are LOVELY. If I was a Cali sort of person I'd have a Hydro over any of the others. Prefferably an EV with tubeless wheels and all the bling. The motor is the one they SHOULD of put in the Norge!!!!

Pete

Thanks Pete, great to hear from someone who knows this issue!

GT - I'm most interested in non-Hydra's, which late model Tonti frames don't have Hydra's? Thanks!

Thanks, Pete and others. I am growing more confident re the reliability of my '04 Stone Touring every day. I did buy a complete set of recall parts from a dealer on e-bay ($81+ post) just to have some spares, which I hope are never needed.

If updated, there's nothing wrong with the hydros. They actually run more civilized than any of the others and require less maintenance. If I had one, I'd get a spare cam update kit to rat-hole, as they're a great value and have everything you'd need in case the worst happened. I'd also get the hydro tool kit.

Back