• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Removing the Inner spark plug

geebee

Tuned and Synch'ed
GT Contributor
OK, I tried searching the forum and didnt find any info so I have to ask- Is there a trick to getting out the inner sparkpugs on the 4v Griso? Got the outer ones OK but after removing the tank to get at the innies- it appears they need a really "thin wall" socket. I had this problem with a 2000 Thunderbird and had to grind down a socket to make it fit but the Griso looks to need a really paper thin socket to get to the base of the plug? :woohoo:

Success! The Norge dudes had an old post. Now if I just have enough grinding wheels to do an Italian job on my socket.

Geez, you'd think they would have beveled the area out a little more....

Just FYI - I did htis about two weeks ago. Fortunatley I had a spare 5/8" socket - thin wall - so it only took about an hour of grinding and checking to get it down to the proper size. Once that was accompolished, the plugs came out with no issues.

Lee Brun's has offered to make a run of these sockets, he's going to get some cost info and I suspect post over here. I would gladly pay someone $15 to grind my a socket correctly than scrap several trying to do it by hand
cheers,

Well after 45 mins of hand drill grinding I now have an ugly but effective "5/8's-thin wall'" socket. Its new home is in the Griso tool pack. With 13500 miles from new my inner plugs were just slightly over gapped, the electrode noticeably worn. I would say that the bike ran just a little smoother when all was buttoned back up.

A FYI for you guys ready to do this little job. Buy the two inner plugs off the internet. DO NOT buy them from a Guzzi Dealer like I did! I'm not going to mention how much I paid but "out through the butt" would be appropriate. My local NAPA store didn’t have them, my big Motorcycle Parts store also didn’t stock them. After all was said and done I went online and found them at several places for a cheap $13 and change. It appears that they are also OEM for several Ferrari’s. The outer plugs were easily and cheaply picked up at the local NAPA auto parts store. Live and Learn….
:whistle:

I couldn`t be arsed to grind one down, so I got one from the Guzzi dealer about 2 years ago, genuine factory supplied tool. Picked it up from the dealer, then he hit me with the bill.................... £19 :eek: :eek: :eek: Didn`t think they`d be soo f******* expensive. Still, I got it now and it don`t cost nothing to feed.

I have an old one from my FZR1000R. It was an odd size... 16mm thin wall or something? Seems too large for this job though.

Anyway, point is, if someone makes one, I will DEFINITELY buy one, if they would ship to the UK :)

Not sure, but you could have gotten one of these https://www.guzzitech.com/forum/160/3892.html

Also Graham has posted the tune up procedure for the 1100 Breva on the forum. You could search that out. He gives the dimension he ground the socket to for clearance. I made mine by trial and error. Grind it some, try it, no go grind a little more until it worked.

I bought the Motion Pro 5/8" thin wall socket from Motorcycle Superstore. Worked like a charm.
Plugs didn't look so good after 15,000 miles.
Why were the inner plugs white and the outer plugs black? Squish area?

Attachments

• inner.jpg
    inner.jpg
    142.5 KB · Views: 418
Try packing the ETS with something. That'll lean it out a bit. The plugs are a very high mileage maintenance item. Don't give them too much thought. Take the inners out and lube them by all means but unless you think there is something *wrong* they should be a close to 100,000Km item. Lots of cars use less fancy plugs and habve that change interval. Nothing *different* happens in a correctly tuned combustion chamber and Guzzis don't rev that much quicker than many modern 4 cylinder cars so.......

Follow the dots.

pete

Back