• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

rear flashers with braking light?

RJVB

GT Reference
I often see an HD model on my way to work that has its taillight and braking light integrated in the rear flashers. I kind of like that, esthetically speaking but also for the increased visibility.
Does something exist that can be mounted easily on our bikes? I don't think doubling the taillight would be needed, but an extra braking light would be very welcome.

The flashers on that Harley in fact look like they're stock, or were specifically designed for HD. The link you gave just shows a little box presumably holding some electronics, is that right?

I guess it ought to be possible to split off the power to the brake lights — people have hooked up the light unit of Givi topcases I presume?

RJVB said:
The flashers on that Harley in fact look like they're stock, or were specifically designed for HD. The link you gave just shows a little box presumably holding some electronics, is that right?

They are stock on a lot of the new H-D's, they started out on the Nightster and have caught on so they're on some of the other models as well.

Sorry, I have no idea how to make it work, although I think I recently read a magazine article which may have mentioned it; I'll see if I can find it.

RJVB said:

The little box contains electronics. All the brake tail, and turn signal inputs from the bike go to it, then the box sends it to the tail light and turn signals.

Here is some information that may be of some interest to people who are contemplating screwing around with the MG LED tail-lights. I have installed a Rostra electronic cruise control on my 2007 Norge and I am currently in the process of fine tuning it before I write the article on how to do it. One of the problems with after-market cruise controls and modern electronics is the LED tail light. Cruise controllers want to dis-engage the unit when the brake light is engaged. This doesn't mean applying 12 volts to the brake circuit, it means applying any voltage to that line. I could not get the cruise control to engage and I suspected that the LED light was the problem. The normal trick is to put a 12 volt relay on the brake circuit and switch the cruise control dis-engage to ground when the brake is de-activated. In the past, the dis-engage line read zero voltage through the filament of the conventional lamp. LED's don't do that so you need a relay. Imagine my surprise when I installed a relay on the brake line wire going to the LED's and when I released the brake lever, the relay stayed engaged. Testing revealed that the brake line had zero volts on it when the ignition was switched on. Applying either brake lever produced 12+ volts on the line but when the lever was released, there was still 6.5 volts on the line. This was enough to keep the relay engaged. I have yet to figure out where this voltage is coming from. The solution to my problem was installing a 12 ohm 50 watt resistor on the brake line. This looks like a conventional tail light lamp to the elecrical system and dissipates any residual voltage when the lever is released and drops the relay out. In turn this gives a true zero voltage to the cruise control dis-engage line so the unit can be engaged. Anything connected to the brake circuit is going to have to contend with residual voltage or at least have enough of a load to switch properly.

René;

You better check with the automotive inspection authorities, whatever they're named in France. It may not be legal to fiddle with the OEM setup, as it's a part of the CoC.

I was going to say that too. Certainly in the UK, a flashing rear or brake light would be illegal. A guaranteed pull by the police.

Seb,that 6 volts you see on the brake light feed is actually coming back out of the light unit. It seems to be fed back from the tail light. Something to do with the way the stop/tail LEDs are connected.

Erm, French legislation says a vehicle (or bike, can't remember now) can have one or two tail/brake lights. In short, I know it's slightly risky, but as long as there's nothing flashing and it's just my turn signals which light up in *red* when I activate the brake, in addition to my regular brake light, I don't think a lot of LEOs will tilt on that.

A friend of mine has a harley with the blinking brake light. It is rather bright and very visible. It looks like a stock setup, he purchased it somewhere in Florida. I believe he replaced the tail light with the flashing one. Now I am not sure if there is a retrofit unit that could be installed onto the guzzi system, I kind of have my doubts about it. I will try to find out what and where he bought the unit.

seb said:
Here is some information that may be of some interest to people who are contemplating screwing around with the MG LED tail-lights. I have installed a Rostra electronic cruise control on my 2007 Norge and I am currently in the process of fine tuning it before I write the article on how to do it. One of the problems with after-market cruise controls and modern electronics is the LED tail light. Cruise controllers want to dis-engage the unit when the brake light is engaged. This doesn't mean applying 12 volts to the brake circuit, it means applying any voltage to that line. I could not get the cruise control to engage and I suspected that the LED light was the problem. The normal trick is to put a 12 volt relay on the brake circuit and switch the cruise control dis-engage to ground when the brake is de-activated. In the past, the dis-engage line read zero voltage through the filament of the conventional lamp. LED's don't do that so you need a relay. Imagine my surprise when I installed a relay on the brake line wire going to the LED's and when I released the brake lever, the relay stayed engaged. Testing revealed that the brake line had zero volts on it when the ignition was switched on. Applying either brake lever produced 12+ volts on the line but when the lever was released, there was still 6.5 volts on the line. This was enough to keep the relay engaged. I have yet to figure out where this voltage is coming from. The solution to my problem was installing a 12 ohm 50 watt resistor on the brake line. This looks like a conventional tail light lamp to the elecrical system and dissipates any residual voltage when the lever is released and drops the relay out. In turn this gives a true zero voltage to the cruise control dis-engage line so the unit can be engaged. Anything connected to the brake circuit is going to have to contend with residual voltage or at least have enough of a load to switch properly.

The 6.5 volts is normal and it is used for the tail light running lights, You will need some type of zenier diode in the circuit that will only flow 12 volts one way and will not flow the 6 volts to the cruise control circuit.

Here's a link to WildGuzzi, where Zoom Zoom (John Henry) pioneered one on his Norge.

http://wildguzzi.com/forum/index.php?topic=17902.0

RJVB said:

I guess it ought to be possible to split off the power to the brake lights — people have hooked up the light unit of Givi topcases I presume?

I split off from the brake light for a Givi topcase with no trouble at all. With my single light an only option I had to make the decision of using the light for a running light or a brake light but not both. I went with the brake light.

Thx, Brian!! Noel: I only see taillights on the site you linked to?!

RJVB said:
Thx, Brian!! Noel: I only see taillights on the site you linked to?!

Rene, Let me know if you need more info, such as which color wire, and where. I'll go and look for you. The wiring/light kit comes with everything you need but the directions are pretty minimal as I recall.

Thanks ... for the moment I'm at 500km from my bike, for a traditional(ly) white xmas

I used theBack Off Module on my Yami for ages. LED brake light as well. worked fine. not sure how the MG will handle it though. Should be the same?

New member. First post. Used Norge coming on a truck from Arizona sometime in next few weeks. My first MG.

I like the looks of those products from Signal Dynamics. Just locate the turn signal and brake wires and splice the unit in.

Another option, a little more spendy, is the old "Signal Minder" unit from Kisan that automatically turns off your turn signals after a user-selectable duration. That unit was recently updated to allow running light/brake light functionality to the turn signals. The reason it costs more is because there's no cutting, splicing or soldering. You simply unplug the OEM flasher relay and replace it with the Kisan.

I don't know which if any of their models will fit the Norge. I've looked through the Parts Manual and the Service Manual and can't find the signal relay. Can anybody tell me where it's located?

Saint Nut said:
New member. First post. Used Norge coming on a truck from Arizona sometime in next few weeks. My first MG.

I like the looks of those products from Signal Dynamics. Just locate the turn signal and brake wires and splice the unit in.

Another option, a little more spendy, is the old "Signal Minder" unit from Kisan that automatically turns off your turn signals after a user-selectable duration. That unit was recently updated to allow running light/brake light functionality to the turn signals. The reason it costs more is because there's no cutting, splicing or soldering. You simply unplug the OEM flasher relay and replace it with the Kisan.

I don't know which if any of their models will fit the Norge. I've looked through the Parts Manual and the Service Manual and can't find the signal relay. Can anybody tell me where it's located?

I don't think I'd try to use these. Your tail/brake unit is LED and your turn signals are controlled by the dash unit electronically. No common 12 volt flasher in the system like in the old days.

Back