• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

New Stelvio Owner

Rosey

Tuned and Synch'ed
Hi to all
This is the "Happy idiot" here as Pete Roper so fondly put it in a previous post.
Thought I should introduce myself,I am a self employed shipwright/cabinet maker/joiner and anything else that comes along.
Currently I am the President of the Moto Guzzi owners Association of NSW based here in Sydney,Australia. While this is my first new Guzzi,I am not new to them and have a few others to play with as I have done for over 20 years.
I have recently bought a new Black Stelvio with Petes help. So special thanks must go to him for his help and assistance for arranging the purchase through a dealer in the south of the state.

After picking the bike up in Petes van we returned to his workshop where we did a predelivery service on it.
Then the fun started,for some strange reason the "factory designer" decided to fasten the "compliance plate" with VIN no to a frame tube under the body work behind the steering head.So for the initial roadworthy inspection we had to remove all the body work,dash and screen to view the various numbers,except the inspection man could not see it as part of it was obsecured by the breather tank,So out with the drill and remove one of the poprivets,pull the plate around so "the man" could read it properly.
But then he would not give us the certifcate as the bike was not complete as the body work/seat was not on it.Ahhhh.

So we then had replace the body work before he would issue the "blue slip" as it is called here.He also managed to add extra number into the VIN number which meant the computer of Goverment body that issues the number plate spat that number back out as it did not exist.
So with some more stuffing around with pieces of paper I was finally on the road.
Pete said to take it for test ride before riding home so I did,only went for about 130kms(just testing mind you),he even rang me to make sure I was OK.

So far it is great fun,and a hoot to ride,I have only done 750 kms at his point but intend to do a LOT MORE
I will do another post soon regarding sump protectors and crash bars that don't fit.
Regards
Brett

This is where all of the 'happy idiots' hang out.
Keep in touch with you thoughts or any mods you make to the bike.

You say the crash bars don't fit. Are they the factory ones? My factory ones were too tall. I put in the rear and front bolts, then put a small jack under the bottom bar and 'tweaked' it up. Both sides needed that for mine.

Ah at last the happy idiot breaks cover and reveals all to the world - not that I am jealous of the Stelvio in his shed mind.

BTW, saw my first one in the flesh today as it flashed past going the other way through downtown Brisbane :ugeek:

Congrats Brett and welcome. Looking forward to your input to this home for idiots of all kinds. ;)

Rosey said:
So out with the drill and remove one of the poprivets,pull the plate around so "the man" could read it properly.
But then he would not give us the certifcate as the bike was not complete as the body work/seat was not on it.Ahhhh.

So we then had replace the body work before he would issue the "blue slip" as it is called here.He also managed to add extra number into the VIN number which meant the computer of Goverment body that issues the number plate spat that number back out as it did not exist.

Bloody Hell...are you SURE you're not living in Cyprus? :S (Although I don't think even our Gov types are THAT anal)

Welcome M8, after all that you deserve to enjoy your bike :D

Crash bars are apparently a bit of a problem :roll: . None of the ones we've got n Oz so far seem to bolt straight on, the jig used to make them, (We assume they use a jig!) doesn't seem to be very accurate. Bret's bars didn't fit either side so he went to the importer direct and it seems that none of them have fitted. Another customer also *made* them fit but if you pays $350+ for a set of bits of bent steel tube they bloody well SHOULD fit so I think Bret's approach is the right one.

Pete

PS. How many Polar Bears have you managed to slaugher and cart home Bret?

Pete
I had to let a really big polar bear go after I tackled him to the ground as he was too big fit on the back of the stelvios rack even if I had tried to cut him up with the Swiss army knife.
Although some GS riderrs did get a few dropbears strapped on plus some kangawallafoxes.
Brett

:lol: Don't feel bad about throwing it back. Frickin polar bear sizing can be difficult, especially during a wrestling match! And don't believe those GS riders claims on bagging their game limit unless you see it first. They are known to be a jealous lot and will do anything to embellish their successes and conquests unless kept in constant check and their Kool Aid drinking must be monitored at all times.

Good Hunting and Safe Travels

Cheers

Bob

pete roper said:
Crash bars are apparently a bit of a problem :roll: . None of the ones we've got n Oz so far seem to bolt straight on, the jig used to make them, (We assume they use a jig!) doesn't seem to be very accurate. Bret's bars didn't fit either side so he went to the importer direct and it seems that none of them have fitted. Another customer also *made* them fit but if you pays $350+ for a set of bits of bent steel tube they bloody well SHOULD fit so I think Bret's approach is the right one.

Pete

Pete,

I know the 1st version of crash bars that came to the US did not fit worth a crap without major modification, Hepco Beckers had the same problem. I sent mine back and about two months later the my dealer called and said he had a new set and offered to install them for free since I had problems with the 1st set. I drove the bike to him and they fell into place, I was riding again in less than 30 - 45 minutes.

MG might have sent you some of the old stock or cast off's from the 1st production runs.

Interesting, I had one of the first sets in the US and I didn't have any fit problems. Sounds like a little more variability than appropriate.

Back