• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

How long do/can you go without riding?

Bluntly

Tuned and Synch'ed
I've not been out for 15 days due to work and social commitments and can't see myself finding the time until next weekend, that'll be 3 weeks...And I think I'm going nutz! :woohoo:

I'm getting a bit flaky right now, irritable in fact.

Does not riding affect any of you guys?

Or do I need treatment, you know a nice room with a ring of chairs...

I'm Bluntly and I'm an addict :blink:

Perfectly normal/understandable. After a few days I am chomping at the bit and a couple of weeks is usually my longest term of abstinence, This December I was traveling for a couple of weeks and then came home to snow, ice, single digit temps and then over 3 inches of rain. I finally got in some riding after 5 weeks of waiting. I ran into rain, sand and salt on each of my rides, but I was enjoying every mile. Friday we had another 8 inches of new snow and ice so an early spring doesn't appear likely.

Left overs from the "clean" roads and a photo from the back deck.

0123101547.jpg

0130100947b.jpg

Hmm, well in my part of the world, it is rare to be able to get out and ride during the winter months (December - March). We do experience the occasional thaw, and on those days you will sometimes see a few desperate, winter-crazed motorcyclists out on the road trying to squeeze in a ride. The down side is that during this time, even when the roads are rideable, they are filthy, covered in metal-eating salt and patches of traction-robbing sand, so I try to resist the temptation to get my bike on the road prematurely. We really need a good spring rain to clean off the last vestiges of salt, and then we are good to go.
And this, ladies and gentlemen, is why I loathe, detest, and despise winter! :sick:

Regards,

Bruce

Here in Holland there's a extreme quantity of salt on the road this winter, so I think for a week or six there will be no motorbike riding for me.
I must be one of the few that don't care not to ride for a couple of months. . . enough other things to do. :roll:

Apart from actually going to the mountains to look for it, I haven't seen snow falling since 1997 and that was the first time it had snowed here in 47 years... B)

500km day planned with my son for Saturday :side: :silly: :lol:

Tucson Weather

US Geography / US Weather / Arizona Weather / Tucson
Jan Feb Mar Apr May Jun Jul Aug Sep Oct Nov Dec
Avg. High 64° 67° 72° 81° 88° 98° 98° 96° 94° 84° 72° 64°
Avg. Low 38° 41° 44° 50° 58° 67° 74° 72° 67° 56° 45° 38°
Mean 51° 54° 58° 66° 74° 84° 87° 85° 80° 70° 58° 52°
Avg. Precip. 0.9 in 0.7 in 0.7 in 0.3 in 0.3 in 0.3 in 2.4 in 2.3 in 1.7 in 1.1 in 0.7 in 1.1 in

Degrees in Fahrenheit

About a week... two tops, now that I have a Breva. It wants to ride as much as I do. Sorry Brevabrado, :( I could never live in snow country. I did a nice 6 hour ride last Sunday east of Mt Hamilton CA. I have a ride route ready for the next break in the weather.

We have no choice in Quebec to be 3 months without riding. Believe it or not, we're legislated off the road here, from december 15th to march 15th because we don't have snow tires on our motorcycles!!!

All the while charging us $ 625/yr for licence plates, ($ 1400/yr if it's a sport bike) and $ 140/yr for drivers licence!!!
I have 3 motorcycles to licence this year, plus an automobile at 320/yr...

baloches said:
We have no choice in Quebec to be 3 months without riding. Believe it or not, we're legislated off the road here, from december 15th to march 15th because we don't have snow tires on our motorcycles!!!

All the while charging us $ 625/yr for licence plates, ($ 1400/yr if it's a sport bike) and $ 140/yr for drivers licence!!!
I have 3 motorcycles to licence this year, plus an automobile at 320/yr...

Yikes!!!

The cold weather and the usual snow and ice seem to settle in around late November here in upstate NY so riding is limited for nearly 4 months. With that said I usually ride whenever I can and having the PD allows me to get out in the crappy weather more than with my Guzzi. I was suffering since Nov while rebuilding the transmission and finally got a ride in yesterday, it was 22 degrees F.
0204101153a.jpg

Kai, are those regulations nation-wide, or limited to Québec? I presume it wouldn't be completely impossible to register at least your bikes in a different province, would it?

I've been doing since around the 8th of December without riding, except for a tiny 6.5km trip taking the bike from the workplace garage to my underground parking place. (Yes, I live at 30min walking from work, and yes Holt, the question was about duration, not distance :mrgreen:)
It's just not feasible in winter to go for a nice ride after work hours, living in Paris, so I'm limited to weekend usage, and all weekends I wasn't blocked in the city conditions weren't safe. The Norge has seen 2 winters of road salt without any adverse effects, so I don't worry too much about that as long as the stuff isn't mixed in with sugar as some countries start to do now. This weekend weather looks perfect, but I'm again blocked with a test to prepare ... it looks like it might be another month unless I can take her out next weekend! :(

No Réné, they are limited to Québec. It is quite difficult to licernce out of province, the government has been covering all the angles over the years. Please realize that this covers all health insurance and life-long compenstion in case of a debilitating crash, re-training, etc. and compensation for minor injuries. Our purchased insurance is only for collision damages, this costs me about 250/yr per motorcycle
The government has a list and criteria for sports bikes, it is quite interesting, they seem to have done their homework, i.e intended design, power/weight ratio, etc.
Here is the list:
http://saaq.gouv.qc.ca/publications/immatriculation/liste_moto.pdf

I have avoided the list so far, the Norge obviously and multistrada are not sports, neither is my recent purchase, a LeMans MkIV B)

They also have a surcharge for automobile engines over 4.0 L, $50/500cc

Sorry for the OT

baloches said:
No Réné, they are limited to Québec. It is quite difficult to licernce out of province, the government has been covering all the angles over the years. Please realize that this covers all health insurance and life-long compenstion in case of a debilitating crash, re-training, etc. and compensation for minor injuries. Our purchased insurance is only for collision damages, this costs me about 250/yr per motorcycle
The government has a list and criteria for sports bikes, it is quite interesting, they seem to have done their homework, i.e intended design, power/weight ratio, etc.
Here is the list:

I have avoided the list so far, the Norge obviously and multistrada are not sports, neither is my recent purchase, a LeMans MkIV B)

Sorry for the OT

Sounds like a real "nanny" state. The state doesn't want you do do anything they don't think you should do. I'll keep my freedoms and assume the risks myself.

How many months per year would one have to live outside of Québec officially in order to have the legal right to register & license a vehicle there?

john zibell said:
baloches said:
Here is the list:

Sorry for the OT

Sounds like a real "nanny" state. The state doesn't want you do do anything they don't think you should do. I'll keep my freedoms and assume the risks myself.

I agree John, they have been crazy lately, fees have increased tremendously, but it is not all bad.
Can't answer your question Réné, I wouldn't consider it anyway, I can't complain, life is good here for me.

These are interesting things to learn about other countries around the world. :geek:
Every country/gouvernement has it's good and minor points in every aspect of the community I guess.

It's what you are used to live with...

I ride pretty much daily. Commute to work on my Haotian HT100, distance with luggage on the Cali, ride for fun/naughtiness on the Griso 1100 :)

My longest absence was from 1987 to 2009. I sold my Ninja 900 in Oklahoma. Ride straight for 1 mile. Ninety degree right turn or left turn. Repeat process in 115 F heat.

Arrived in Washington in 2003 and finally convinced myself I would never be able to afford an Ariel Atom, but another motocycle might be a great substitiute. Right now, I'm starting week four of hip replacement recovery. Hopefully I'll be back soon. ;)

Back