• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Dunlop D616 tires versus Scorpion Syncs.

Billd

Tuned and Synch'ed
Has anyone tried the Dunlop D616 tires on their Stelvio? Have read they are great in the wet and better on gravel (that's what I'm looking for). The Pirelli Scorpion Syncs get the nod as being better on dry pavement. Would like to hear from someone that has tried them . How do they wear in relation to the Scorpions?

No 616 front for the Stelvio... however, the 607 does offer a choice (110/80-19), and it's a GREAT tire, unfortunately no matching rear. I've ran the 616 front/607 rear on my Jackal for a few years, and loved them (see pic below).
Details on the 607s HERE.

Jack_6-05.jpg

Here is a thread with some pros/cons. I like the syncs more than the 616's, but haven't tried them on the Stelvio. None of the tires in this class are very agressive, but can get the job done for the bikes limitations in size/weight.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=104242

Not sure if this MT60 would fit on back. Some say a 160/60 can fit our back rim and if it will work it is one of the only "aggressive" Radial tires that come close that I have found, most are 150.

http://www.us.pirelli.com/web/catal...owser/xml/catalog/moto/MOTO_MV_MT60_ONOFF.xml

Here is a link to a ride report that shows a dedicated rider on Road Attacks and then Syncs. Great photos too.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=427909

I put the Dunlop 616 on my Norge for a trip last summer involving 3800 miles with 70 miles of packed dirt and 30 miles of loose gravel. The tires performed admirably everywhere but the Gravel where I had to slow to 35 mph to keep from squirming badly. The gravel was wet and slimy. I am just glad I never dumped the bike. See my Hyder 09 post in the Alaska forum.
Cheers
Matt

I have used the D616 rear & D606 front on the Stelvio and they are awesome on wet roads, dry roads are very good, and I got better milage than the Scorpion Sync.

Used it on the Norge too, and they don't look very nice on the touring bike but the feeling is exelent.

Antonio
Guatemala

Thanks guys for all the information, more interested to hearing what you have to say rather than the magazine guys. Very interested in what bobw said about the Pirellie MT60's. With a width of 160 would they fit the back rim? If they would that might be the best application for a Northern trip that includes gravel and mud. Has anyone tried them or knows if they will fit properly? Keep it coming!!

Billd said:
Thanks guys for all the information, more interested to hearing what you have to say rather than the magazine guys. Very interested in what bobw said about the Pirellie MT60's. With a width of 160 would they fit the back rim? If they would that might be the best application for a Northern trip that includes gravel and mud. Has anyone tried them or knows if they will fit properly? Keep it coming!!

I have heard / seen fellows mounting them on their Buell's 12 XT's but they said it was a real PITA to get them to seat on the rims, the tire didn't want to spread that far. I was going to attempt it but with as much weight as I carry I didn't feel it was wise, hence I ordered a NTX wheel from Corsa Italiana in London, .....................waiting, waiting, waiting, all good things come to those who wait :D

kwn306 said:
hence I ordered a NTX wheel from Corsa Italiana in London, .....................waiting, waiting, waiting, all good things come to those who wait :D
Kurt,
How much did that cost you? How long has it taken so far?
Ron

RokonRon said:
kwn306 said:
hence I ordered a NTX wheel from Corsa Italiana in London, .....................waiting, waiting, waiting, all good things come to those who wait :D
Kurt,
How much did that cost you? How long has it taken so far?
Ron

Waited two weeks so far, Bruce at Corsa said it could take a month or better, with all the snow we have gotten in VA since before Xmas I'm not going anywhere anyhow. Wheel was $770.00 + shipping. I had quotes all over the spectrum, from $2300.00 (Netherlands), 1250.00 (Italy) to $770.00 (London.) The fellows at Corsa Italiana are super to deal with, there just a 5 hr time difference and a acent to deal with on both ends, we laughed alot during the translation from my VA southern drawl to the Proper English of England :laugh:

Since I put a 4.25" rear rim on the bike I kind of bit the bullet and put TKC80's on it. With the 5.5" rear rim I was very limited and that's what premedicated the question re tire choices. The Stelvio is set up very well for pavement but not so good if you travel lots of gravel and mud. The 4.25" rim solves that with lots of great tire options. Would really like to hear what others are doing with respect to poor tire choices with the 5.5" rear rim as stock.

Back