• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Starting blues!

londonrob

Cruisin' Guzzisti
Well, up till now the B11 has been a good reliable lump raising lots of smiles, but recently its been having some issues with starting.
Switch on, watch the lights do their thing, press the button and click, the starter engages but doesn't turn.

I took JohnK's advice and fitted a relay so the solenoid gets full battery voltage when you press the button, the bikes got an Oddysey battery which reads 12.60 volts across the terminals.
I also swapped the starter for a known good one from my 1000S.
It worked for a few days but after a trip to wiltshire (1 degree above freezing, Brrrr!) the bike refused to start when i had unloaded the top box.
Too cold and dark now to start pulling bits off it but I'll have a look after work tomorrow.
In the meantime the CTEK charger's plugged in and will stay on overnight.

Has anyone else had starting issues like this, and how did you cure them?

I did have something like this happen on my Norge & on a friend's Griso that turned out to be a neutral indicator issue. I don't recall hearing a click, but it costs nothing to try, so here goes. Tranny is apparantly in neutral meaning it will roll without pulling in the clutch, neutral light is on, push button-& nothing happens. My Griso owning friend says, try shifting in to first while it is sitting there, then back to neutral. Boom, starts right up, never happened again. Happened a couple times (I think, pretty sure more than once) to my friend. Probably not it, but what the hey, costs zero $ and minimal effort to give it a shot.

Interesting, had exactly the same on my norge last week.
Check the earth connection onto the engine, behind the top fastening for the starter motor cover. These can come loose, and the thread on the bolt is far too short anyway.
Also check that the battery connections are clean and tight.
But in my case it turned out to be a dud battery, Charged it up with the CTEK, and 2 days later the same problem. This time the CTEK did the christmas tree lights trick, which suggests the battery plates are sulphated. :(
best new price for replacement battery in the UK - 105 sterling. Best price for same Stateside - 75 USD (approx 50 sterling) :evil:

Same issues here too. Never sure what the problem was in the end but for a few weeks before I put the bike away for the winter, no more problems. I'll see what happens in a week or two when the bike comes out of storage. I sure hope the problem 'goes away.' (I had my generator/alternator replaced for another reason but never had this problem before the new generator/alternator)

- New battery
- Re-wired my GPS direct inline with the brake light vs. direct to the battery.
- Covered terminals in more vaseline and tightened. I think with the GPS hooked up via a pig back type connector the battery terminal bolts weren't 100% tight. Might have been enough for the bad starts?

My b11 had a new battery and still failed to start intermittantly with everything seemingly working. It was the starter button on the handle bar. I opened the switch and the copper was green with corrosion. Cleaned it no problem since.

Well, things have got better.
Took the starter off and hooked it up to a slave battery and it spins like a good un.
Put it back on the bike and "click, click" same as before.
Touched a wire between the battery lead stud on the starter and the solenoid spade and it spins :huh:

Tried it on the button and it fired first go, and has stayed working.

I think I'll have a look at that starter button though, just in case mine is corroded as well.

Oh, and the magnets had fallen off the original starter and had scored the armature, so now i'm on the hunt for a replacemement starter for the 1000S :S

Back