• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Stain on Breva cylinder

RojoPony

Just got it firing!
I saw a 2006 Breva at a local dealership and I'm really interested in this bike. However, in doing a look over of the bike I found a stain on the right cylinder head near the spark plug that is disturbing. The stain looks like burnt oil coming from around the spark plug. I've done searches on the net and cannot find any references to leaks on Guzzis near this spot. Don't want to take the chance on possibly picking up a bike with MAJOR problems. Attached is a picture of the right cylinder head.

Thanks

Attachments

• BrevaRightCylendar.jpg
    BrevaRightCylendar.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 416
Not likely to be anything *serious* but that depends on your definition of serious.

Most likley caue in that sort of position is a small drip that wasn't wiped off when the rocker cover was removed and then getting baked on or the gasket ot being replaced if it got a tear in it and whoever did the tappets not bothering to get one/not having one in stock so they just wogged it up with a bit of gorilla snot. Other possibiluty, but much less likely, that comes to mind is the o-ring on the stud base allowing oil up the stud but this is very rare specially with the new bikes with steel head and base gaskets.

Whatever it is it isn't going to cause the bike to melt into a pool of molten slag a week after you buy it.

Pete

For a bike with less than 6000 miles I thought what looks like an oil leak not to be a good thing. I too thought maybe there maybe a seal that was not properly resealed, but not knowing anything about Guzzis' thought it might be better to get thoughts from people that have had experience with the brand.

Thanks

Thirty years + of experience from this old dog and all I can really say is it don't mean shit. The top end hasnothing in it that will fail catastrophically if a few drips are notices and none of the sources of oil in that area are critical high pressure feeds.

As I said. Gasket probably, that'll cost you a 5mm allen key, a $5.00 bit of gasket and 10 minutes with a razorblade and whetstone. oh. Add 2 minutes for removing the plug lead cover and plug lead. :D

Pete

On only one side of my B near those two small allen bolts holding on the plastic cap. I had oil leaking from behind one of the little bolts. Removed to see what was going on and the hole is not 'blind' The other 3 are blind holes, but for some reason during the casting? the hole wasn't plugged. A small amount of oil would leak out until I used a copper washer. Haven't need to look at the weeping hole since. :shock:

Have a look maybe....might be enough to drip down.

Thanks for the replies on this issue. Better having educated opinions of actual owners than guessing on my own.

RP

pete roper said:
Thirty years + of experience from this old dog and all I can really say is it don't mean shit. The top end hasnothing in it that will fail catastrophically if a few drips are notices and none of the sources of oil in that area are critical high pressure feeds.
Pete

Given my own 35+ tears experience with Guzzis, I agree with Pete, this is completely & totally trivial. That miniscule amount of oil after 6000 miles-or even 600 miles-in that location means nothing beyond cosmetics, on a Guzzi or any other internal combustion engine. Really.

Back