• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Bat Flattery (or something like it)

Motorcycle batteries are very fragile due to their relative small size. The rule of thumb is if the battery is 18 AH rated do not charge it at a rate more than 1.8 amps, a little lower is even better to ensure the battery is not damaged. Very common for people to use a car battery charger set at 2 amps and that will drasdicly shorted battery life. One other caution , with a new battery place it on a good , preferably smart battery charger (pulse charge type. I use a CTEK US800) for 24 hours prior to installation. Poor battery performance is usually a result of how it started out in life. Thats my 2 cents worth, the learning curve for me cost about four batterys and a bunch of bump starts along the way!

That doesn't follow for AGM type batteries. The instructions for the Odyssey state that the charging current must be at least 2 amps, and for that reason I use the CTEK 3600.

Brian, thank you for your comments. You are quite right I was stuck in the past and talking about lead acid batteries and not AGMs. Your comments made me start looking into AGM batteries a bit closer and will dig a little deeper over the next couple of days. Did look at my battery in my Stelvio and it does suggest to charge at 1.8 amps for 5 to 10 hours (see at top of photo). Find this type of conversation very helpful as it is clear to me I need to catch up with the times.

Attachments

• battery 002.jpg
    battery 002.jpg
    815.7 KB · Views: 456
I'm thinking the problem with my Yuasa batteries not lasting long is from improper charging from the dealer.
The last 3 bikes I bought "new" were left over stock that was on the floor for more than 1 year.
I was not surprised my Yamaha RS Warrior battery went so fast, as the battery was the size of a pack of smokes in a 1700cc engine. That was a $160 battery at the time.

Certainly the modern trend of fitting smaller and smaller capacity batteries onto larger and larger engines doesn't help.
Mt Norge battery has just failed at 2.5 years, but this bike also sat in a dealer showroom for a year before that, so who knows what happened to the battery in that time.

Thats funny, my Griso sat stood stationarily still for nearly a year...

Its ok now as long as I remove both 30A fuses when its parked for a few days.

That's the problem with my battery. It started out holding a charge for 1 week, and now its down to holding a charge for 2 days.
I figured I change it sooner, because with my luck, I'll end up parked at the bottom of 2 hills and then the battery will finally die.

If it's only holding a charge for two days, and you know it was fully charged to start with, then it has probably reached the end of its useful life.
There can be issues where the battery is not getting a full charge, caused by lots of very short journeys, or even an alternator charging fault. If this is the case, you should charge the battery from an external source and check it before writing it off.

I also had a battery issue this week, had noticed some oddness in the fall. Even though it had been on a tender, as soon as the fuel pump came on the dash would go blank. I thought that I may have a battery going south, but I hooked up a radiator fan as load (agm / gels like a deep charge sometimes) and the thing ran for hours. What I noticed is that the battery cables are made for a wider post than the Yuasa battery has (mabye an Italian brand) so only about 20% contact is being made (on the top)...so I modified it to get contact on all three sides and the starter is spinning much better now.

YMMV,

rdl

Back