• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

snapping forks

cgalardi said:
Forked fixed! Yay! The fellas at Scooter Superstore Daytona got the part in and replaced it on my Stelvio and I pick her up today! They told me that the right side axle bolt was on so tight they had to use and air wrench to get it off. Anyway, it is all back together and perfect once again. I can't say enough about how well Scooter Superstore has treated me and I did not even buy the bike there. Thanks fellas!

P1040832.jpg

I noticed that my 2010 Stelvio has a different bolts on the clamp. I included a picture. There seems to be alot more material left with the alen nuts. For the folks out there having a hard time getting it fixed via warrenty, the fact that Guzzi changed the bolts is evidence that there was a fix needed.
PS sorry about the louse iphone photo :D

Attachments

• IMG_0160.jpg
    IMG_0160.jpg
    754.9 KB · Views: 1,443
The 2010 has m6 instead of m8 bolts. I was this week at our öhlins importer, he had an ohlins with the same problem there, he told me that he has quite a few each year with that problem. Newer Ohlins forks tend to use m6 too, because people over tighten them. So it looks like the factory used to much force to thighten them.

Re: snapping forks (another case)

Dear All,
I am new in the forum in which I landed looking for clues regarding my snapped forks.

I own a Stelvio 2009 with only 9000 k on the speedometer, 99% made on asphalt roads. One day while cleaning the bike I noticed a crack on the right fork clamp, its bolts were loosed and by tightening the first one the clamp broke. It is exactly as the problem discussed in this thread and one of the pictures posted here showing a cracked clamp looks as this was taken to my bike.

I called the dealer who took care of the problem and replaced the fork under warranty.
However I am worry knowing that the problem was well known by the Guzzi factory and they have not made a factory recall taking care of the problem. The new right fork that I got on my bike looks similar to the original one except for the bolts. The clamp itself seems weak and thinner as you compare it with other bike brands. What about the left fork? Anyone has had any problem with it?

Has any Stelvio owners group or association filled a formal complaint against Guzzi factory?
I do not think that this is a minor issue.

Best Regards,

Héctor

Attachments

• DSCN2892.JPG
    DSCN2892.JPG
    703.7 KB · Views: 1,321
I collected my Stelvio just over a week ago, got it home and was having a general look round and i found my forks had broken round the pinch bolt, took it straight back to the dealer and they were amazed never seen a broken fork before. Just waiting for the replacement to be fitted under warranty.

Attachments

• DSCF3385.JPG
    DSCF3385.JPG
    478.3 KB · Views: 1,256
coastriderwest said:
I collected my Stelvio just over a week ago, got it home and was having a general look round and i found my forks had broken round the pinch bolt, took it straight back to the dealer and they were amazed never seen a broken fork before. Just waiting for the replacement to be fitted under warranty.

Well, I think that the people at your dealership were amazed because in your case was the left side fork which snapped. Most cases have happened on the right side fork. I got my right side fork replaced under warranty, now my warranty expired so I am afraid of the left side fork.

Guzzi factory should recognize this fault and made a recall factory to all machines to replace both forks for something better and stronger, should we wait until we hear of an accident to put a formal consumer complaint about this?

regards,

Héctor

To keep things in this thread...

Noticed today that my left fork has suffered the same break as seen on this thread. Thanks to this thread I specifically had my tyres changed by my dealer. As it happens they were well aware of this problem and tightened the bolts up carefully to 10mm. This was the first time the wheel had been off the bike.

Unfortunately my bike only 6 weeks from going out of warranty and I am a bit concerned that the right side will fail leaving me with a huge repair bill.

guzziguy said:
To keep things in this thread...

Unfortunately my bike only 6 weeks from going out of warranty and I am a bit concerned that the right side will fail leaving me with a huge repair bill.

One side my 58 plate is getting done under warranty despite being over 2 years old. The dealer spotted it when doing the cam followers. He challenged MG and they have extended the warranty. See https://www.guzzitech.com/forum/190/4857.html

Hope to collect it at the end of this week. As far as I know thw cams were actually OK after 5300 miles and they are replacing the lower part of the fork only not the whole leg and on one side only. I'll know more on collection.

Well...

Brought Mr. Stelvio in for general service and have new Scorpion Trails put on. Dealer called at the end of the afternoon to tell me that while they were putting the front wheel back on, they cracked my pinch clamp too. They swear that they were torquing to 7 ft.lbs and it broke anyway.

He said when they looked under the parts it said "not available" I'm hoping it's not going to take long to get. I have a bunch of trips coming up and the Stelvio is my "bagger". :p

What amount of time are people are generally waiting to get the parts from the factory?

Doug

Doug....Hi it's Doug, Last sept. I waited a month for the left side,This spring I've been waiting about 3 weeks for the right side. I'll let you know how I make out. If you guys get yours I would like it if you let me know how long it took. I'm getting kinda chocked about how long it seems to be taking Piaggio to get the local guy here who just opened set up, seems it took a couple of weeks for them to set up his account so he could order parts. Dealing with motorcycles up here in Canada is like some kind of stupid black magic. Everthing is highly complicated and convoluted. What a bunch of bullshitters! I deal on a daily basis twin engine, IFR helicopters with total production runs of about approx. 500 units. Some of the replaceable units for a particular one number in the 2s and 3s...in the world and we still get the units no longer than a week!!! I guess I just don't understand how terribly hard it must be for the poor motorcycle shops and manufacturers to actually get off their asses and do anything.Oh me oh my. Can you tell I've become extremely cynical?
FBC

Then they are a joke! Like most everyone I encounter in the Motorcycle industry in this country, I don't know about the rest of the world. It's not that difficult to be effective!
FBC

I spoke with the dealer today and they tell me that Piaggio is air freighting the part on Tuesday and that I should have the part and bike back in 7 days.

We'll see...

A scary thread for those of us well out of warantee. After 8000 miles so far so good. I think the problem comes back to a lack of quality control at the factory. I tried to remove my tank recently, the cap screws around the filler cap had been put in by a moron with (I imagine) an air tool who had spun all the bushes molded into the plastic. So both cap screw and (non)captive bush went round together.
I had to drill all 4 out, cut the bushes out of the tank and then refix them. Most likely the same with the fork pinch bolts some were torqued up by the book and some weren't.

I'm going to be taking off my front wheel for the first time soon, just wanted to make sure first, have I read on here some where that the torque setting for the pinch bolts has been reduced from 10 nm to 8nm?

Word of advice: have it done by an official dealer. The only way you'd get them covered under warranty should one (or both) snap. Someone here just had a claim accepted for both forks *after* his warranty ran out.

I very much doubt that they would accept it a year after the warrenty ran out, a few months maybe, but I'm well and truely out of any cover I think.

Well I've changed the front tire 3 times in 26 months of ownership, haven't snapped the pinch clamp yet.

BUT I leave the torque wrench in the tool tox. My feeling is I don't carry a torque wrench with me on the bike so I have learned to deal without them when I have to make road side repairs.

I also mark all fasteners with paint so I know the position they were in before I loosened them up, that way I just bring the fastener back to were the paint lines up and leave it be, a dab of lock tight helps as well.

I haven't lost any parts in 45 years of riding, even when I owned Harleys :roll: :roll: , thanks to the inventor of Lock Tight.

Back