• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Tyre wear

fatal

Cruisin' Guzzisti
GT Contributor
The rear tyre (Pirell Scorpion Sync) on my Stelvio is very near the legal limit (1mm) after just over 3000 miles. The front tyre has around 3mm of tread left perhaps good enough for another 2000 miles??
Although I think the Pirellis perform well enough in terms of grip, I'm disappointed with the rate of wear. What rates of wear are you getting?
I'm considering fitting a pair of the new Continental Road Attack2, or Dunlop Sportmax, I have the Dunlops on my Triumph Tiger 1050 and they are good for 6000 miles on the rear. Would even consider Michelin Pilot road 2.

Very odd Fatal. I just did the conversion, Ive got 3230 miles on my Scorpion Syncs and they have bags of life left. It has been ridden a mix of Solo, 2 up and 2up loaded. No wear issues here.
FBC

There could be a couple of factors here. One is tire pressure as an under inflated tire will wear faster. The other is the actual road surface. Different road surfaces will eat the same tire at different rates. Many years ago a friend of mine in Kansas rode an identical bike with identical tires, he would only get about 4,000 miles on the rear, and I'd get close to 10,000 riding in the south east (Alabama, Tennessee and Georgia).

Hi gang

13000miles
Rears:
5k Pirelli
5k Conti Road Attack
3k Conti Road Attack (2 puncture's same day ) loads of life left. :evil:
new road attack fitted today

Front:
5k Pirelli changed still life left
8k Conti Road Attack still life left

Loftyjohn

I'm a stickler for checking tyre pressures, all set by the handbook. I don't know what constitutes a legal minimum requirement in other countries, but in the UK for a motorcycle it's a minimum depth of 1mm for 3/4 of the breadth of the tyre for it's entire circumference. ( 1.6mm for cars) It is the central part of the tyre that has worn (squared off) there is plenty of 'meat' on the shoulders.
I run solo most of the time, but most of my mileage has accrued through touring miles including a lot of motorways, plus a long trip around northern Scotland where the road surfaces are very grippy. What pains me is I've another long jaunt (1200+mls there and back) up to Scotland for a Moto guzzi rally in April, which means I'll need a new back tyre while I'm away :(
I guess I just don't like spending money, but I'll bite the bullet and fit a complete new pair (not pirellis) before I go and hope they see me through the summer.
I wish Metzeler made the Tourance in Stelvio size, they seem to do big miles without too much compromise on decent grip.
Thanks for your imput fellas.

I've been running Metzler Z6s. If I don't keep the air pressure over 40PSI (about 42), I can watch the rubber melt away when I ride two up on the highway. I'm only getting 4200 miles from the rear one, so I need to look for something else.
The worse part is that it is so soft, when it gets near the wear limit, I get a puncher. Three flats on three rear tires now.
Let us know how the Contis work out.
My original front tire lasted 11,000 miles. I ride a lot two up AND I am a heavy rear brake user. So I kill rear tires.

I've just (an hour ago) changed my rear Metzeler Tourance after 8000km (5000miles), the front Tourance looks like it's about 50% worn I'm hoping I get a cycle of a rear change and then a front & rear together, which is what I got on my 1150 GSA.

On my GSA I only ever used Tourances but got 10,000km from the rear however I did a lot more highway riding and far more with a pillion...which is a bit weird :?:

As I stupidly ran the tire to the absolute limit and today was my only chance of changing it before the next big ride I had to take a Tourance Exp instead of the standard Tourance, now I'm hoping the horror stories about the Exp's wear aren't true.

PS: I'm a stickler for tire pressure and check them at least weekly or for every big ride, which ever comes first.

rturo, looks like a good tire, but no 180-55/17 rear size listed. Did you see an advertisement listing one?

Cheers

bobw said:
rturo, looks like a good tire, but no 180-55/17 rear size listed. Did you see an advertisement listing one?

Cheers

Sorry bud i didnt check the tyre sizes properly ... its as you say.

I was actually looking at the new SportSmart tyres for my Breva and got distracted

Art

Thanks, I was hoping you read that one was in the pipe line. I think on the new Conti Road Attack 2 they show all the 17 inch sizes, but also a 19 inch front under "development". All these new tires are great options, just wishing for a matched set in the new on/off road compounds in the Stelvio sizes.

BTW, 4K and my rear tire is done. Very nice wear, no flat spot and it worked well all winter with cold temps/pavement, salt, sand and wet/slushy conditions. The front is fine for some more miles with no cupping or feathering visible. The syncs have worked well and wear is close to several other sport rubber tire offerings I have used. I'm looking at the "old" Pilot Roads or may have to settle on some kind of mix/match as I have some long distance trip plans and the soft centered rear sport tires will be too short lived.

Cheers

Got 5K out of the stock rear tire, got over 12K out of the front and it is getting a little thin.

All my riding is 2 up, with a lot of stuff, wife and I are not small people either.

Change the rear to a Z6 and have about 50% of the tread left with 7K miles on the tire.

I run 45 psi on the rear and 42 psi in the front, most of my riding is on the super slab back and forth to work.

Back