• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

New Stelvio owner has saddlebag questions

mohawkeye

Cruisin' Guzzisti
I finally have what I've secretly lusted after for ~6 months - a new red '09 Stelvio, and I'm really happy with it.

My dealer has offered 10% off on accessories for the first 30 days of ownership. I'm waiting for a price quote on OEM bags, and have already gotten a quote on a set from Givi. I'm leaning towards buying what Givi recommends for the Stelvio, but want to see what the dealer offers (and want to see what those look like).

Anyway, I'd really appreciate pro and con remarks from all regarding your Stelvio luggage.

TIA,

Mike

I have the aluminum "adventure tour" style factory panniers on my Stelvio, and I like the way they look. However, I was disappointed to learn very quickly that they are not watertight. :( Given a choice between those and Givi, I would personally opt for Givi. They are a high quality item and I have never had a Givi box or side case that leaked a drop. I have a Givi top box on my Stelvio, so I will be keeping anything that must stay dry in there, or in a fully waterproof bag in the side cases.

Bruce

I neglected to mention that I will be getting a Givi top box, as SWMBO said after the demo ride that she "felt like she was sitting too far behind." An important condition of purchase was that she be comfortable.

And dryness is another important factor. The Tekno bags on my Cafe Sport are not watertight by a long shot, as I quickly learned on my ride to the MGNOC National last July. Thanks Bruce!

I posted this pic on another thread (https://www.guzzitech.com/forum/topic. ... hilit=givi ) I was told yesterday by my Givi dealer that they go into production in April and should be available late in May.

He told me originally that they were alloy but now it seems they are plastic but with an "alloy" look to them. :roll: I'm still pretty keen on getting a set as I'm sure they'll look good on the Stelvio, and as they're Givi will be top quality..Unlike the dealers ! :sick:
Picture%20087.jpg

I've got the Givi E 55 Maxia...
0.0.1.r%23e55n.jpg

..Which is a great topbox that can take 2 large size Schuberth helmets, I've also had the brake lights wired up which really grab the attention of anybody behind you (Sorry, not got pics of lights yet)
Tip:When you fit any Givi topbox make sure you put the Givi rack as far back as it'll go on the Stelvio rack, if you put it in what seems to be the normal position you'll find if you put a back rest on the topbox SWMBO will get pushed forward to much for comfort. (And as that brings her mouth nearer your ear it won't be comfortable for you :D )

I'll be getting the E460 top case. And thanks for that tip :lol: -- I already get whacked on the helmet when she doesn't like something.

Your bags-to-be look great. I don't need anything that large -- the wife would bang her foot on that while climbing on/off :oops:

The Guzzi hard bags are TRAX bags from SW-Motech. with a Guzzi label instead of the Trax tag.

I have them on my Stelvio and the wife has a set on her Strom... If you are careful of the seals they don't leak but the seal is easily compromised as it tends to slip off the ridge it mounts on.

My last set of Givi's leaked to the point everything was in waterproof bags all the time.. so.... lol

I have had many different types saddle bags in my time (42+ yrs of riding), GIVI's saddle bags have always leaked, some a little, so a lot, if you do a lot of adventure riding, I.E., off pavement, your bike is going to fall over at least once, this increases the leak factor with the GIVI's, they will get hair line cracks and water finds its way in. On the other hand their top boxes do not. I also found the GIVI mounting system for their bags to be light weight and would bend easy, the Trax mounting system is heavy duty.

I purchased the Trax / MG bags and the right one leaked a little bit during a deluge, but in a normal light rain it did not. Upon inspection I found that one of the welded seams near the front was the problem. A $5.00 tube of black RTV and 24 hours to cure solved the problem.

With the Trax mounting system for the bags you can mount additional manufactures products as well, keep that in mind.

Hepco Becker makes a nice set up for the Stelvio as well and they are built like battleships.

Hepco Becker makes a nice set up for the Stelvio as well and they are built like battleships
+1 on the Hepco Beckers. I had an almost new set on my previous ride so I kept them and ordered the mounting brackets for the Stelvio. Took about six weeks for the brackets to come in, but they're finally here and look solid. The boxes themselves are the aluminum 38 liter "classic" or "standard" version, and have been great, never a leak.

Shrike said:
The Guzzi hard bags are TRAX bags from SW-Motech. with a Guzzi label instead of the Trax tag.

I have them on my Stelvio and the wife has a set on her Strom... If you are careful of the seals they don't leak but the seal is easily compromised as it tends to slip off the ridge it mounts on.

My last set of Givi's leaked to the point everything was in waterproof bags all the time.. so.... lol

My seals appear to be intact and in place. It looks like the water is ingressing through the rivets on these cases.

Interesting about the Givis. I had V35 side cases on my last bike, went through some torrential rains, and they did not allow a drop of water in. Strange what a variation there seems to be in Givi products, given your experience. Oh well, it's not that big a deal to put everything in waterproof bags in the side cases, and that is what I will be doing. :D

Bruce

Most likely, I'll end up purchasing a Givi set. As a former long-time BMW rider (both R11RSLs gone as of last week!) I had fairly good luck with the factory bags, regarding water-tightness. After last year's experience with Tekno bags in a couple of frog-stranglers, I put all my clothes in water-tight freezer bags and pack those in bag liners. I'm not that into "adventure" riding; prefer sport & sport-touring, so aluminum bags are overkill IMO.

Thank you all for your comments and suggestions! :)

Is there a Givi bracket available?

I have Givi bags on my EV. I like them a lot and have good luck with them. They leak a little, but not bad. The o-ring seals are old. I have replacements but haven't gotten around to replacing them yet.
But I'm really liking the top loading on the aluminum bags on the Stelvio. The Givi clamshell bags tend to dump stuff in the parking lot when opened. :lol:

BravoBravo said:
Shrike said:

My seals appear to be intact and in place. It looks like the water is ingressing through the rivets on these cases.

Interesting about the Givis. I had V35 side cases on my last bike, went through some torrential rains, and they did not allow a drop of water in. Strange what a variation there seems to be in Givi products, given your experience. Oh well, it's not that big a deal to put everything in waterproof bags in the side cases, and that is what I will be doing. :D

Bruce

Mine has leaked, a lot. But only when parked in the rain.

I once got so mad, I filled a tub with water and tested the bag. The rivets did NOT leak a drop. None. The only leak I could produce was around the gasket on the lid. Where the two ends of the gasket meet, it would tend to pull off of the lip and the ends would misalign. I put a small tube inside the hollow gasket, with a drop of silicone sealant. That keeps the gasket ends aligned. No more leaks, or at least nope worth noting.

Wayne Orwig said:
Is there a Givi bracket available?

On the Givi website, part numbers are "E708" for the topcase bracket and "PL708" for the sidecases' brackets.

Back