• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Oil under the swing arm ...

Thanks Graham. As reported before, my CARC had the oil rather up the threading than just below. Kind of makes me wonder if what I'm seeing is not (old) blow-by that occured when pressure got too high due to over-filling and riding in hot temperatures (which I did last summer).

Haven't had the time to drop by the bike to double-check the plug, but I'm 90% sure the one I saw at the location shown in the service manual has a torx head.

Anyone found white paint on the gearbox filler plug?! In line with the remark in the manual that one should leave even checking the level to a service agent? I wonder what the reason for that is?

I have the white paint on mine as well. Not a concern as you need assess to that hole.

RJVB said:
In line with the remark in the manual that one should leave even checking the level to a service agent? I wonder what the reason for that is?

Maybe it's because there is no info on how to check the level, which is why I noted where the level came to after adding the specified 500cc. Now I wonder how many service agents know that? The usual filling level in such cases is level with the bottom of the filler hole threads, but in this case it is too high, Pete warned against overfilling because of the risk of excess level causing oil to find its way into the clutch. Of course the bike should be upright and have sat unmoved for long enough for the oil to drain to the correct level.

When checking the CARC oil, it's a good idea to poke the oil with a piece of wire etc. to ensure that an air bubble isn't giving a high reading. Moving the wheel even 90 degrees should make the level drop as oil is picked up by the moving parts.

Well, I haven't dreamed it up, I do have a torx fitting on my plug! And of course I don't have the correct size key of that type, bummer...

No, I think Luigi must have that starry look in his eyes when he assembled my bike :ugeek:

Heh, the starry look must have been mine :oops: or rather, play of light between my flashlight, the shadows cast by the lower fairing and dust and some rust in the plug's key hole. Lower fairing removed, it turned out to be the expected allen hole all right.

Anyway, oil level isn't just OK, it looks perfect. Just under the hole, bike on the centre stand with the front wheel touching the ground. I was surprised how thin it seemed, but I presume that's normal.

Just to be certain, I re-verified the CARC oil level, this time after turning the wheel a couple of times. Oil level still looking perfect or maybe a bit high.

I'll still ask to pull the CARC for a look see, but I'm beginning to wonder if some oil couldn't have been blown through the gearbox breather tube, to end up where I found it.

The gearbox breather tube ends up on the top of the airbox, not down under the rear suspension.
The three tubes under the Norge are the airbox drain (plugged), the battery box drain and the fuel tank overflow.

I have found oil in the same area and on the rear wheel rim as well. When I learned to keep my engine oil slightly below the full mark on the approved MG dipstick and cleaned up the old oil bits collecting mostly in the tubing running under the swing arm the problem went away.
I say the approved MG dipstick as I had problems with brand X.

René, when you're visiting the Low Countries during Easter, monday the 5th TLM in Nijmegen has Demoday from 10-16 hrs.
They are not really open for service, but mechanics are present that day and maybe they can give it a look and some advice.
Don't know if you can fit this into your visiting-time, it's just an :idea: .

Ciao Dolf.

Thanks for the info Dolf, but my trip has been cancelled (I have to admit, partly due to the weather forecast ;) ).

Well, I'm still finding oil at that spot, a bit yesterday evening before taking the bike on my standard weekend ride, a bit just now.

I'll be having the bike serviced on the 7th, and will try to drop by at the shop this Monday, so the mechanic can have a looksee which seal to order. Crossing fingers, toes and eyes that they'll have everything serviced in time for the ascension long-weekend!

Pete, if you're reading this, do you know if the holes for both brake-line attachment points under the arm go through? The clips closest to the gearbox (and highest when the bike is on the centrestand) are dry. They ought not be if gearbox oil could find its way out there, I think.

As far as I know, yes they do.

Only way to find out for sure if it is the front seal is to pull the CARC. Not a big job but it will tell the story.

If it is the pinion seal in the CARC it requires disassembley of the unit to access and a special peg socket to remove the seal holder.

Pete

It looks like I've got another case of a carcked CARC - like RJVB I've have a drip coming from under the swing arm for some time. I wasn't sure where it was coming from but went out to the garage tonight to find about a cup of oil on the floor under the swing arm. Not happy - bike has done less than 20,000km but, of course, is well out of warranty!

So, is it safe to ride to the service agent (about 30km) or is it a trailer job?

Regards

bobra said:
It looks like I've got another case of a carcked CARC - like RJVB I've have a drip coming from under the swing arm for some time. I wasn't sure where it was coming from but went out to the garage tonight to find about a cup of oil on the floor under the swing arm. Not happy - bike has done less than 20,000km but, of course, is well out of warranty!

So, is it safe to ride to the service agent (about 30km) or is it a trailer job?

Regards

Make sure the gearbox and CARC have the correct oil levels and ride it in.

A cup should have a visible effect on the level, can you keep us informed where your oil appears, and which level was low, please?

A cup full is a serous amount of oil. I'd be lairy of riding it if it had dumped that much as it would leave the crownwheel/pinion exposed to damage and if it's spewing out that much it would be bound to get on the tyre and rear brake.

Have you not got the tools to take off the rear wheel and then remove the CARC and take it i to the shop in a box? It's not a big job and the Norge has a centrestand so it's pretty easy. Brake off (2 bolts.), wheel off (4 bolts.), disconnect torque arm (1 bolt with nut.), unclip brake line, unbolt CARC (4 bolts.). Place CARC in box, drive it to shop.

Oh, and it sounds like the bearing may of shat the bed. As long as there isn't any other damage its easy enough and cheap enough to fix.

Pete

Pete,

I find most people over estimate the amount they find on the floor. A cup of oil (about 240cc) would cover a 10 sq feet or more area.

john zibell said:
Pete,

I find most people over estimate the amount they find on the floor. A cup of oil (about 240cc) would cover a 10 sq feet or more area.

We have small cups in Adelaide! :D You're right however, it is probably not a cup full but a bloody shock to see so much under the bike.

In the cold light of day, I'd estimate about 100 ml. I'll consider Pete's suggestion and remove the CARC - it will save me $$ at the shop. Beware Mr Roper - I have your phone number!

Thanks to all for your suggestions - I'll keep the forum updated

Cheers

Back