• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

GT-Rx Performance ECUs

guzzimark

Cruisin' Guzzisti
I was lucky enough to try Todd's "race only" ECU today.... Let me give you some basics on my bike first, that way you have a base line. I have a 2007 G11 that just passed 11,000 miles with the revised 003 map, stock air box, Mistral muffler (no DB killer), stepper motor on/off and carbon canister removed. I think that's about as much as you can do without adding high dollar engine management, pretty much how i would think 75% or more of CARC Guzzi's owners are. I also want to let you know that i am in no way technically minded nor a mechanic/test driver or ex-racer, this is purely a laymans take. My tool kit consists of 2 screw drivers, 1 set of channel locks and a great big hammer. The very thought of having to plug a laptop in to my bike to do anything scares the ba-Jesus out of me. I am purely a simple bolt on mod and drive away man. I don't tinker, i don't know what i'm doing, so i don't try..

From the moment i pulled away i noticed the difference in throttle sensertivity. If anybody knows where Todd lives you'll know that pulling out of his drive, a steep uphill with a very sharp right hand turn, you have to go slow. There was no chug-chugging at low throttle. I used to have a Fat duc installed, which relieved this, but didn't eliminated it. Chug-chugging gone. From Todd's i did an approx 20 mile loop around the SMM and anybody from SoCal will know these vary from extremely steep thight up and down hill twisties to long fast curves. Great to test ride and get a feel for any changes made.

The next thing noticeable was the open-closed-open on the throttle, smooth as silk. I got so used the to the lerch that accompanies the open-closed-open when cornering, the very smoothness caught me by surprise. I know it's a cliche to say that it felt like riding a different bike, but it really did.... My riding skills had adapted so much to include the lerch, that it felt odd not to have it there mid corner....

Next was the popping, virtually gone. I had the stepper on/off and the Fatduc installed before and had removed about 90% of the popping on decel. But mine never was much of a popper to begin with, not like some of you reported. I did half loop with the stepper open and half closed. The half with it open, minimum popping. Maybe 5-6 times and thats with some seriuosly heavy deceling (don't think deceling is a word, but you all know what i mean). With the stepper motor closed i never heard a pop. But then again i was getting the feel of the "new" bike by then and was surprised how much easier it felt going thru the turns (and faster, so more concentration was needed on my part)...

As for extra power, it definately felt like it to me. A little more grunt out of the corners...It's probably near impossible to feel the 3-4 hp gained while riding. Maybe it was the over all feel of the ride that gave the the illusion of more power. Whatever it was, to me it would be the perfect add on. Just swap out the old for the new and away you go, an immediate, feelable upgrade.

This retails out at around $450 US, which for me i can swing and after trying it, it is definitly a must. It's also a base with which to start for the whole PCV/autotune etc kit, which retails at around $1100 or so (to much for my blood in one hit). When you can spread it out over time $1100 is not that painful, well it is, but it becomes bareable....

Unfortunately for Todd (my new bestest friend forever), now that i know where he lives, he's probably going to have to get a restraining order to keep me away. I must thank him for letting me try it and opening my eyes to how bad stock bikes really are. I have read here on the forum people complain about stock mapping, but have always though how bad can a brand new bike really be. To me some people just tinker for the sake of tinkering. Was i proved wrong....

For me this definitly is the first step to the whole kit and if you can afford it go for it, you won't be dissapointed.

Mark

Re: Guzzitech's "race only" ECU test

Ah another convert to the GuzziTech choir :mrgreen: , It really is amazing and hard to explain without appearing over exuberant :woohoo: to anyone without them taking a ride.

Mark, a pleasure finally meeting you and thanks for you're time yesterday. I can't be the one to tell of the work I do, so I really appreciate the words here. Cost is actually $500 w/exchange or $950 outright. I'll now consider it Stage I for my complete fueling package of the PC-V & AutoTune, meaning the ECU alone has now proven itself beneficial (stand alone), but is fully benefitted by the PC-V/AT.

Thanks too Dan, you sure said it.

I received my ecu from Todd friday and did some experimenting with it saturday.I can just about say ditto to everything Guzzi Mark said!MY only changes were the amount of air available.For my bike the best set up is two forty mm holes in about the center of the lid with snorkel removed.The bike pulls hard to the limiter,idles smooth,off on throttle cornering response is great! Really can't imagine anyone without at least this addition to their bike,I would think it could only be better with the pcv and at.
Thanks todd,this is better than I had hoped.

duc said:
Really can't imagine anyone without at least this addition to their bike,I would think it could only be better with the pcv and at. Thanks todd,this is better than I had hoped.
Thanks for the input and words here. Greatly appreciated on both.

It allows you to set the target AFR.

Although there were some discrepancies between it's reading and the A/F dyno i took my bike to, in the end, they were mostly within about 3% of each other, sometimes off by no more than 5% . I'm not sure which one is the more accurate, or if they are both wrong, and although 5% is the difference between 13.1:1 and 12.5:1, (or 13.1:1 and 13.8:1), that's kind of within the noise level, unless you are trying to diagnose some kind of running condition.

I would be interested in the "stage 1" that Todd speaks of here. Problem is I live in Nashville, TN and have zero mechanical skills/electrical skills.

I have a 2007 Grizzo that I purchased from the dealer in Roswell, GA, I put Todds left side exhaust slip-on (which by the way I LOVE) That is the only thing I have done to the engine. I too find the on/off throttle and slow speed parking lot manuvers jerky. More power and speed is not my final goal, I can just manage the power the stock Grizo has. I want smoother ride at low engine speeds.

Any suggestions on how I might improve my ride?

rayingram said:
I would be interested in the "stage 1" that Todd speaks of here. Problem is I live in Nashville, TN and have zero mechanical skills/electrical skills.

Any suggestions on how I might improve my ride?

You don't need any special skills to swap out the ECU. Its only a few bolts and a couple of connectors on the ECU that pop off and a ground wire. It's not any harder to do than the exhaust you put on. It's well worth the money and effort.

rayingram, don't panic on the ECU change out, no real mechanical knowledge needed. I watch Todd swap mine in less than 10 mins and that's with me bugging him with a mountain of question...Do try and get the 003 map and make sure your TPS is set correctly (mine was way off). If you can swing it, get the ECU up grade, i've tried it and there is a huge difference. As soon as the 15th has past (get that bear of my back), my first purchase will be the ECU swap. I'm lucky in that Todd lives close by and i'll have him change mine out when i have my next scheduled service. I'm also gonna have him adjust my suspension, another area of voodoo i just don't get invovled with...

Hey Todd,
Knowing how inclined I am to rave about new things for the bike (new tires, new seat, new suspension settings etc) I decided to exercise a little restraint before posting about my ECU reflash purchased from you ;)

So... over the last two weeks, several hundred miles over a wide range of temperature and riding conditions I've come to a decision:
Nice... Very Nice :D
I had a couple of concerns initially after removing the Lamda sensor and plugging the opening. The throttle control was notably smoother especially at low speed and cornering and the throttle control became very predictable but my dash displayed a service message and I couldn't get rid of the "ECU 00" unknown error being logged. Following your advice, I checked the simplest things first (connections and grounds) with no success, followed by re-installing the O2 sensor.
Good news! The error message went away! Bad news... It seemed rougher a low speed to me.
I parked the Griso for a couple of days and concentrated on making a living, then went back to the garage yesterday to re-evaluate. When going over my notes, I realized that 1). My low-speed issues were noticed on early morning starts when it hadn't even warmed up to the low 40s Fahrenheit and were not present when the temp increased (both the ambient and the operating temp) :oops: So I spent a couple hours riding around town at lower speeds with lots of starts and stops both with the lamda sensor plugged in and with it unplugged. The results were virtually identical.

The ECU performed beautifully regardless the installation of the sensor, but on my particular installation, the ECU detected whether or not it was plugged in.... soooo plugged in it will remain.

On another note: I had anticipated that the improvements to the fueling would actually affect my fuel economy negatively. For my riding style, it has done no such thing and in some circumstances may have improved it modestly.

Thanks VERY much for upgrade opportunity. Well worth every penny to me :)

Back