• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Exhaust discolouration

geordielad

Just got it firing!
Just had my Breva 1200 a week now and the exhausts seem to have discoloured quite a lot from the usual bright chrome finish to a dull gold colour.

I've only just put the 650 miles on her and run her as recommended in the running in guide.

Is there a way to restore the bright finish or is it a case of "just live with it". :pinch:

Have to say that I've just come from owning an Aprilia Futura and love the Breva although it is a little more sedate.

Cheers guys :D

The exhaust system of the 1200 is different from the 1100 as far as I know, for the 1100 it's "normal" to get liverspots after some time. I polished the pipes once till they got the shiny chrome-look again and after a while the liverspots returned and I learned to live with it. :| It takes to much time and the bike doesn't run any better. ;)

Thanks guys.

I want the bike to stay in good condition, but I'm not fanatical about cleaning and polishing it every 5 mins - would sooner be out riding. :)

Just stopped long enough to fit panniers, screen and hugger. I've got the MG heated grips to fit as well as soon as I figure where it all goes. :?:

Chrome on modern Guzzi exhausts? I'm almost certain they're all stainess steel and even the best grades will take on a golden hue from heat after a while.

The earlier models, like my 05 B11, have single-skin SS exhausts of a rather poor grade and soon look a lot worse than just a bit sunburnt. The usual cure if you can't stand the look is to have them ceramic coated.

Later models have double skin exhausts, probably of a better grade SS too, but still can develop "hot spots" where the skins touch and change colour a bit.

Most modern bikes have SS exhausts which withstand corrosion far better than the old chromed ones but will still turn gold or worse. Then again only high quality shrome was much good - copper then nickel then chrome. Sadly the copper layer was often omitted for cost reasons.

Get yourself one of those 4 step, foam block fingernail shaping things from the drug store. It's like cheeseblock, with four different grits on them. Those work GREAT for taking the liver spots off, no compound necessary. When the grit wears off, just use some polishing compound to take up the slack.

If you go the PCV route, the liver spotting will slow or stop completely, as your EGT will drop drastically.

My pipes have turned amber, and seems to be stable there.

My solution was to use header wrap...apart from hiding the discoloration, has the added benefits of shedding less heat on your legs (I found it got quite uncomfortable in warmer weather) and it's supposed to be good for performance (although I can't say I really noticed it)...and it looks pretty good too (with the added high-temp spray coating it turns a nice dull black).

ndmackay said:
My solution was to use header wrap...apart from hiding the discoloration, has the added benefits of shedding less heat on your legs (I found it got quite uncomfortable in warmer weather) and it's supposed to be good for performance (although I can't say I really noticed it)...and it looks pretty good too (with the added high-temp spray coating it turns a nice dull black).

got any pics?

Robert

Check my profile pic - it shows it reasonably well...if you'd like a close-up, PM me and I'll snap one when I get back this w/end.

No, that pic is fine.
I was thinking about black paint for mine but that looks better and serves a second purpose (heat).
I will one day get around to it (like everything else). It does look good.

thanks

Robert

I'm thinking about getting my pipes coated just because, like Geordie the OP, the discoloration annoys me. My local guy has a bright shiny coating that'll handle temps up to 1300 F, and a duller matte silver that'll handle temps up to 2000 F. I'd rather get the bright shiny finish.

Does anybody know if our pipes are likely to get hotter than 1300 F? That's about 700 C.

Typical four stroke exhaust temp is in the 1500 to 1700 degree F range at full throttle. With a single wall exhaust pipe I would expect the pipe to get hotter then 1300 degrees, but that is just an educated guess.
I think I would ask the pipe coater what they do. There is nothing unusual about a Guzzi header that makes it different then any other head pipe. What works for others will work on a Guzzi.

Forgive my ignorance here folks, but what's wrong with discolored exhausts? Gold or blue, ride it like you stole it and just enjoy.
Whats the fuss?
Unless it is...It ain't a show bike. :roll: is it?

I bought my bike with pipes already painted black and I liked that look. The paint faded to a light brown after riding in the rain for 2 days. I repainted it again with an exhaust paint from an auto parts store.

Back