• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

polarized sunglasses

dloftus

Tuned and Synch'ed
Anyone wear polarized sunglasses while riding? I should have thought of this before I bought them but now I've got all those strange color shadings all over the place! It's even hard to read the Griso's dash because it turned a dark purple!

Just seemed like a funny observation so I'm curious. Maybe it's because they were cheap polarized glasses? Or do motorcyclists in general avoid polarized lenses and I was just in the dark? I could probably live with them if it weren't for barely being able to read the dash while I'm riding.

Dan

Never had that problem. I've always worn cheap polarized (I don't buy good ones because I keep destroying them). However, now I've moved to polarized sunnies that are work safe, the type required for building sites as they will take a good knock from a stone etc without breaking.

Robert

For years now, I have avoided polarized sunglasses for exactly the reasons you have described. I prefer a good quality non-polarized lens, as these will not create the weird colours you have noted when you wear polarized glasses. My favourite glasses are the Wiley "X" brand. I also have a pair of Ray-Ban Predators that I often use as well.

Regards,

Bruce

BravoBravo said:
For years now, I have avoided polarized sunglasses for exactly the reasons you have described. I prefer a good quality non-polarized lens, as these will not create the weird colours you have noted when you wear polarized glasses. My favourite glasses are the Wiley "X" brand. I also have a pair of Ray-Ban Predators that I often use as well.

Regards,

Bruce

The same goes for me. It looks like there is oil on the plastic, and you can even see any stressing in the plastic. They were expensive too. Now I wear $10 non polarized glasses from the local Sunday swap meet. Of course I never loose the cheap ones. :cool:

Interesting, seems I'm not the only one! The problem is mild when the helmet shield is up but when it's down it gets a lot worse. I guess because the shield is causing some scattering.

Liquid crystal displays do seem to polarise light in themselves, so you can get the situation where it is impossible to see the display at all. One of mine is like that.

Yup, they can.

Those patterns indeed correspond to some sort of stress lines. You won't see them on regular glass or plastic, but once they're treated to automotive security criteria, they appear.

Curiously, you don't notice them from inside a car (at least I never did). Probably because it's interference of incident light, not of passing light.

I love polarized glasses for precisely this reason! B)

You know what else shows up w/ swirly colors? Oil on pavement!

I can live w/ the inability to read my LCD panels unless I tilt my head :side: left or right, & the colorful view thru the faceshield, in exchange for the advance notice of sketchy traction ahead... :eek:hmy:

I've got a sunvisor in my helmet that I can flip up and down. Clear sight and looking at the dash is no problem, because I can look at it from underneath the visor when it is down. Easy to use riding in and out of tunnels. :D

Skeeve said:
I love polarized glasses for precisely this reason! B)

You know what else shows up w/ swirly colors? Oil on pavement!

I can live w/ the inability to read my LCD panels unless I tilt my head :side: left or right, & the colorful view thru the faceshield, in exchange for the advance notice of sketchy traction ahead... :eek:hmy:

That is an interesting perspective. I hadn't thought of that. Good if it works for you. I just don't like looking at a view that makes me feel like I am tripping on acid. :lol:

Bruce

:pinch:
To check if polarized sunglasses are correctly manufactured: Find a source of glare, a parking lot on a sunny day is best, hold them out in front of you making sure you see glare thru them; then rotate them 90 degrees keeping them in plain. If the glare appears to get worse they're okay, but if the glare improves -is reduced, then that indicates that the lens material was not oriented correctly when it was cut to fit the frame. The price of the glasses doesn’t matter, it's a simple mistake that can happen to anyone. :unsure:

Can you explain please? One of the advantages of polarised glasses is that they reduce glare off non-metal (i.e. polarising) surfaces, like water and tarmac...

RJVB said:
Can you explain please? One of the advantages of polarised glasses is that they reduce glare off non-metal (i.e. polarising) surfaces, like water and tarmac...

I see that as a disadvantage. I want to know when there's oil or water on the tarmac so I can avoid it. Anything that reduces their visability is not good, IMHO.

Last year I bought a very expensive pair of Serengeti polarised sunglasses, they have now been relegated to the car. It was most disconcerting not being able to read the road surface or the dash on the bike, also when the visor was down all sorts of rainbow colour effects altered your vision. Off to purchase a Non Polarised pair or maybe a helmet with a built in Sun Visor.
Cheers Kevin

Kevin.NZ said:
Off to purchase a Non Polarised pair or maybe a helmet with a built in Sun Visor.
Cheers Kevin

I can highly recommend the Nolan Trilogy. I have found the drop-down visor nicely tinted, and it has negated the need for sunglasses under my helmet.

Bruce

BravoBravo said:
Kevin.NZ said:
Off to purchase a Non Polarised pair or maybe a helmet with a built in Sun Visor.
Cheers Kevin

I can highly recommend the Nolan Trilogy. I have found the drop-down visor nicely tinted, and it has negated the need for sunglasses under my helmet.

Bruce

I also have a Nolan Trilogy, and love it. I wear transition lenses and with the drop down sun visor works great :D

Bill

RJVB said:
Yup, they can.

Those patterns indeed correspond to some sort of stress lines. You won't see them on regular glass or plastic, but once they're treated to automotive security criteria, they appear.

Curiously, you don't notice them from inside a car (at least I never did). Probably because it's interference of incident light, not of passing light.

By security reasons I don't think you can even buy a car in Europe which haven't got laminated glass in the front windscreen. Those are not made of hardened glass.
Those patterns seen through polarized glasses will only be seen & a nuisance when the windscreen is made of the cheaper hardened "safety glass". And plastic.

Back