• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

GEARBOX OR TRANSMISSION???

PICKLEKOOKEN

Just got it firing!
Okay call me a BLONDE I always thought that the Transmission Is the thing you shift and make you go faster :whistle: So Im changing the gear lube in the carc. I put in 500mls like the book said but it like its over filled!!! So myquestion is "if you go buy the book Captain is the gearbox really the trans mission and the transmission really the carc? IN American??? PICKLE :?:

yep, the CARC is the transmission and the thing with more then one gear (all being well :D) is the gearbox.

strangely some times an automatic gearbox is sometimes referred to as automatic transmission this side of the Atlantic, probably crossed over from the US

Art
Old England

500cc in the gearbox. 380cc in the CARC.

Buell refer to the gearbox/primary drive bits as the transmission, and so would I. Guzzi-English is often.......quaint.

What Guzzi call the transmission (The CARC) I'd have called the final-drive unit.

PICKLEKOOKEN said:
Okay call me a BLONDE I always thought that the Transmission Is the thing you shift and make you go faster :whistle: So Im changing the gear lube in the carc. I put in 500mls like the book said but it like its over filled!!! So myquestion is "if you go buy the book Captain is the gearbox really the trans mission and the transmission really the carc? IN American??? PICKLE :?:

The guys that translate the manuals from Italian to English use British English, not US English. This has been covered elsewhere on this forum. Thus the thing that changes gear ratios is the "gearbox", and the one that changes the direction of rotation is the "transmission". I struggles with this a little at first but got accustomed to it.

The “cheat” is the smaller volume of oil is for the bit that drives the rear wheel, larger volume of oil is for the bit between that bit and the engine.

Although to have some fun the usage of transmission and gearbox is correct everywhere except for US. You guys just love to be different :silly:

Transmission is surely all the componentry which transmits engine output to the rear wheel.

When we talk of transmission backlash we include all slack between the engine and rear wheel. Must be a clue there.

Of all the Workshop/Service manuals I've used, the Guzzi one for the Breva would have to be the worst. Not only for the language but for the information, and lack of information, presented. The best? The one for the Buell. It's arguably better than the bike itself! You could argue that the quality of the manual is indicative of how much it'll be needed, but I'd prefer to think it's indicative of the quality of the bike it relates to.

GrahamNZ said:
Transmission is surely all the componentry which transmits engine output to the rear wheel.

When we talk of transmission backlash we include all slack between the engine and rear wheel. Must be a clue there.

Of all the Workshop/Service manuals I've used, the Guzzi one for the Breva would have to be the worst. Not only for the language but for the information, and lack of information, presented. The best? The one for the Buell. It's arguably better than the bike itself! You could argue that the quality of the manual is indicative of how much it'll be needed, but I'd prefer to think it's indicative of the quality of the bike it relates to.

Graham,

I have to agree the quality of the service manuals for Guzzi has deteriorated over the last few years. I think they hired the guys from Ducati to write them!! (I worked on some Ducati's a few years ago, they had to be the worst, for a 20 step procedure, they may have written 5.) The Guzzi manuals at one time were very good. After the acquisition by Aprilla, then Piaggio, now barely marginal. It is nearly impossible to find the specifications you need in the service manuals. I've started making my own data sheets to go by.

You are all so quaint. I call it the rear end and transmission. I just love this board.

Quaint? Must look up the meaning of that word!

In the case of the current Guzzis, finding a name for the bit where the rear wheel bolts on has been made easier by CARC being stamped boldly (And proudly?) on the face of it.

Over time I've often been asked what I prefer as the ultimate final drive system, and having had the lot, I'd opt for an enclosed toothed belt. The belt on my Buell is rated for the life of the bike, (?) requires no maintenance, is quiet, clean, light, and backlash-free. Not fully enclosed in stock form unfortunately, so a stone can get in and cause damage. I've added to the stock guarding to make the belt effectively fully enclosed because I often ride over gravel surfaces.

The weight of the CARC is HUGE. Add that to the HEAVY swinging arm and it's a wonder the rear suspension copes with the ENORMOUS unsprung weight as well as it does. Is there any serious GP bike currently running shaft drive? No. And the reasons are many. The CARC system does look good though!

Graham, I guess it would mean "cute" or "charmingly unusual". That last one does not sound very nice though. "Unusual" is usually not a compliment. Though I have been told that I ride an "unusual" bike... and I did like that.

My HD Road King and Buell 1125CR both have a rear belt. I have never had a problem with any of the belts I've had. That said... I've also never had a problem with any chain or shaft final drive either. I do like the looks of the drive system on my Sport though.

guzzi4life said:
My HD Road King and Buell 1125CR both have a rear belt. I have never had a problem with any of the belts I've had. That said... I've also never had a problem with any chain or shaft final drive either. I do like the looks of the drive system on my Sport though.

Lucky man!
I've broken chains, admittedly pre O-ring days. The CARCs on modern Guzzis have had their share of bearing and oilseal problems. My new ST1100 Honda had a casting hole in it which seeped oil when hot. Buells pre 2005 were infamous for belt failures. I've replaced two on friends' bikes. The later belts do seem a lot better. Why I like the belt enclosed is because riding over gravel surfaces is unavoidable here, and new chipseal has a habit of sticking to things! One bike of mine (A home-built effort) had an enclosed duplex chain which worked better than most chains in that it ran very smoothly and didn't make a mess. That was pre toothed belt days though, or I'd have taken that route.

Back