• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Mystery Breva Oil leak!?

mcwilljg

Just got it firing!
My B-1100 there is a steady drip of oil coming from the oil filter recess. I have changed the oil filter and tightened the four 5mm Allen bolts in this recessed area. The leak is small, less than a teaspoon overnight, but annoying and I'm used to Guzzi's being tighter than a devoted virgin on her wedding night. (now there's an outdated joke)

I'm out of ideas on this. I mean, other than the filter and the 4 bolts what else is there in this filter hole that can leak? All suggestions welcome.

Joe

Is it the OEM filters?

There were some issues with slightly defective seals on the UFI filters for a bit. Even with constant tightening they would still weep oil.

(I didn't have filter problems but I replaced my rocker gaskets with silicone ones to stop oil weeping from there, guess mine has been a naughty girl ! )

Try using a Bosch 3330 oil filter and torque to 15 Nm. That is the current recommendation from the importer service people in the US.

I'm running a Bosch filter on my 1200 Sport and it is bone dry under there. Around here they are also cheaper and easier to find then a stock filter. I'd give it a try.

Every UFI filter I've had dripped a certain amount of oil. Eventually it stop, but it takes a few goes around with the oil filter wrench.

This doesn't sound like the typical oil filter weep, By any chance do you have the seal from a previous removed filter stuck on the mating surface ? Just a SWAG

S cientific W ild A ss G uess

There is nothing else down there, just 4 bolts. I have my oil pan out at this time, and can take a picture if it will help.

My Breva and Griso both leaked unless the filters were over tightenend for what I am used too.... Once I got used to over tightening the stock filters, no leaks or drips

Well, I changed the UFI filter for an Amsoil filter, and the leak is worse than ever. I won't tighten the four bolts any more than I already have for fear of shearing one. I checked, and there is not an old seal stuck on the mating surface.

Although I hate to over tighten anything, I guess I will try turning tighter on the filter, although this seems crazy. It never leaked before and there is nothing that I can see wrong with the sealing surface. These things don't just "go bad." However, I can't think of anything else that sounds even remotely possible.

Update later.

mcwilljg said:
Well, I changed the UFI filter for an Amsoil filter, and the leak is worse than ever. I won't tighten the four bolts any more than I already have for fear of shearing one. I checked, and there is not an old seal stuck on the mating surface.

Although I hate to over tighten anything, I guess I will try turning tighter on the filter, although this seems crazy. It never leaked before and there is nothing that I can see wrong with the sealing surface. These things don't just "go bad." However, I can't think of anything else that sounds even remotely possible.

Update later.

Did you torque to 15Nm?

ooohh.. mystery oil filter leak. i was hoping this would be about the mystery leak from behind the lower alternator pulley. the one that can only maybe possibly be fixed by removing the plastic pulley covers, then the pulley's, then the front engine cover. the seal that can only be replaced from the inside out. you know... that mystery leak....

no leaks from my factory oil filter, but i'll be going to the Bosch for the next oil change.

mcwilljg said:
john zibell said:
Did you torque to 15Nm?

I torqued to 20Nm...and still the leak persists.

I'll repeat my original post on this, Bosch 3330 and 15 Nm. That is the current recommendation from MGNA.

If the leak persists I would get a new sump gasket, drop the pan, thoroughly inspect where the filter seats and mating surfaces of the pan and block.

I just changed the oil in my 1200 sport and got the same leak. I got a Bosch D3330 at Advance and will give it a try.

PaulJr said:
I just changed the oil in my 1200 sport and got the same leak. I got a Bosch D3330 at Advance and will give it a try.

PaulJr,

What's the verdict? Did the Bosch filter stop the leak?

This is very strange. I've been replacing filters for nearly 50 years on numerous vehicles (cars, pickups, bikes) and have never had a filter leak around the gasket. PLUS, I quickly learned not to tighten the spin on filters more than 3/4 turn beyond the point that the gasket touched the mating surface, otherwise I needed a filter tool (often a long screw driver driven through the filter like a stake in Count Dracula's heart) to remove the filter. I never had a leak or lost a filter using this method. Now, having used two different quality filters, UFI & Amsoil, the filters leak, even when over torqued. Like I said, very strange. Could the mounting surface itself be warped? I guess I'll have to drop the pan to find out.

I will try a Bosch D3330 today. I hate wasting the expensive Amsoil filter, but I hate worse an oil leak. Especially when it's in a place that should not leak. I'll let you know the result.

Thanks to all that have responded to this most annoying Mystery Leak.

I seem to remember that MG had a recall for early Norge 1200 that were leaking around the oil filter. The solution was to remove the pan and lightly mill its mating surface as these presented problematic machining finish on the surface. So I was told by my (now closed) dealer in Montreal, Canada. Mine had that same problem and its a 08 model. The cure for mine was to get to the montreal dealer (500 Kms roundtrip). The original oil filter was not tightened enough. They redid the entire first service as the local dealer in Ottawa is not knowledgeable. I went there (Ottawa) for my first service two years ago and they didn't have the oil and filter as well as the filter wrench to remove the old filter. $ 325 for 3,2 liters of oil (grade?)and nothing else done as I had to set the valves myself (noisy and way off) the next day before going to Montreal.

I’ve just changed my engine oil and I’m encountering the weeping UFi filter issue. Last time it happened I just nipped it up a bit tighter but it’s REALLY tight now and still dribbling. I’m reluctant to tighten it any further (especially given my recent adventure) Hopeful it will settle down otherwise I’m not sure what to do.

I think you can change the filter on the Sport with oil still in the bike, but I have not tried myself. I’m happy enough buying the UNI filter (even if JSG will send them to me at $23 while the local dealer charges $29) but perhaps UNI has poor quality control if this is going to be an ongoing problem?

I’ve got so many oil spots on my garage floor now it’s getting difficult to find a “clean” spot to park on so I can identify new leaks :lol:

Mal said:
I’ve got so many oil spots on my garage floor now it’s getting difficult to find a “clean” spot to park on so I can identify new leaks :lol:

Maybe you should paper train your bike :mrgreen: . That is, just put an old newspaper under it. It will let you know if it is still leaking, and keep the oil off the concrete.

Or put an oil tray under her like an old Triumph :lol:

Back