• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Norge windshield motor no longer works

ncassidy

Cruisin' Guzzisti
The other day I went to lower my windshield, 2007 MG Norge, and nothing happened, it stayed in the up position. I stopped and checked the fuses and all were good. Turned the key on, pushed the windshield down button, the motor made a creaking noise. Tried the up button, same thing. Removed the shield and black cover and tried penetrating oil down the screw, same thing. Probably the motor went bad or the screw froze up. Anyone else here have windshield problems? Was wondering if there is a way to make the windshield manual up and down. Don't feel like replacing the motor only to have it happen again down the line. I do remember reading that the motor has a nylon gear in it that strips out. Can't imagine the motor is a cheap item cost wise, but may be a cheap item quality wise. :(

When I first got my 07 Norge, I was surprised how weak the electric windshield motor was. I had to grab the top of the windshield with my left hand to assist in raising windshield if I was going more than 50 MPH, and that was with the small stock windshield. I took the mechanism apart and lubed the weird looking screw but this did nothing to improve the problem. I finally replaced the entire electric windshield assembly with another one I got off ebay. The new one must be ten times stronger as far as being able to raise or lower the windshield at speed. Now I have no problem raising the shield doing 80 mph even with a much bigger aftermarket shield. Some Norge electric windshield assemblies work a lot better than others. I don't know if it's because of the weird screw they use or the electric motor, but I would guess that Guzzi never tested all of them before putting them onto the bikes. :unsure:

Sorry to hear that. You are not alone, tho I've not had it happen yet.

Thought this had been covered here before, but did not find that in a quick search.

Did see issue recently on WG.

I have my w/s and dash off just now, cleaning it after return from Missouri trip (with last 400 miles in steady rain).

I did notice that the lube (ordinary automotive grease) I had put on before trip had pretty well disappeared. As result, put white lithium grease on screw. Should last longer. As I said on w/g, not sure if reported failures are electrical or mechanical, something else, or mix, but at least mine won't fail for lack of lubrication.

While motor is exposed, think I'll run a google search of the numbers I find on it. Bet it pops somewhere.

Bill

That was my thought. I am sure the motor is made in hogshu, China or somewhere in the orient and may be able to be bought at a more reasonable price then from Moto Guzzi. If you come up with anything let me know. I may try the same thing, once I get things apart.

I have the same issue with mine. Motor seems very weak, some times it works some times it doesn't and definitely won't go up at speed. if anyone comes up with a fix I'd sure like to know. I was thinking of going to an electronic shop and see if a could find a stronger motor to possibly adapt to the drive screw.
Bob

G'day Everyone,

Not sure of the workings but on my BMW K1200LT that I had I found the shaft needed lubricating with a lithum white waterproof grease. This fixed the problem on the beemer. May be worth a look.

Beemer

I have heard that a person should adjust the windshield when stopped or low speed.
Not at Highway speed to reduce the drag on the drive motor.
I know it defeats the purpose of an " adjustable " windshield to a certain degree but it sounds like good advice
Not sure how often you adjust yours I have found that in the highest position is fine for most everything in town highway
Of course I am not in El Paso where I might lower it
any way just throwing that out there

lti_57 said:
I have heard that a person should adjust the windshield when stopped or low speed.
Not at Highway speed to reduce the drag on the drive motor.
I know it defeats the purpose of an " adjustable " windshield to a certain degree but it sounds like good advice
Not sure how often you adjust yours I have found that in the highest position is fine for most everything in town highway
Of course I am not in El Paso where I might lower it
any way just throwing that out there

Have heard that, too, tho, in my defense, only recently. And, it makes sense comma but.

FWIW, I have just shy of 40K miles on my (darling) Norge, and that includes many -- I'm guessing hundreds -- of cycles up and down. As I usually keep it fully down, my up-&-down adjustments have, for the most part, only been for slab runs or rain. Nearly all of those have been done at high or near-high speed.

Not pooh-poohing the wisdom of not doing it, just passing on some anecdata that I've hadn't had the problem notwithstanding my numerous floutings of that rule. Better go knock on some red tupperware now, as I'll probably be reporting soon that my screen motor failed. :S

Bill

While I was waiting for my new-to-me Norge to arrive last month, I called MI in Seattle and asked them if there is anything I should know about the bike as a MG noob. One of the things Mischa told me was that the windshield should not be adjusted when there is wind pressure against the screen because the motors are known to burn out easily.

Azccj, you replaced the motor with a better one you got on eBay. Can you point us to the install thread you posted so that we can see the pics and find out exactly how it's done?

My windshield worked fine until it stopped working. No warning signs that things were crapping out. The windshield was in the upper position for the last month or so. I went to lower it cause of a hot day and it did not work. Motor made a creaking noise. I haven't taken it apart yet to see what is going on in there. I know some of the euro models are manual adjusting shields, thinking of converting mine to that if possible. I think replacing the motor is a temporary fix at this point, as it will probably crap out again.

Saint Nut said:
While I was waiting for my new-to-me Norge to arrive last month, I called MI in Seattle and asked them if there is anything I should know about the bike as a MG noob. One of the things Mischa told me was that the windshield should not be adjusted when there is wind pressure against the screen because the motors are known to burn out easily.

Azccj, you replaced the motor with a better one you got on eBay. Can you point us to the install thread you posted so that we can see the pics and find out exactly how it's done?

I replaced the whole unit, support arms and all. But I have taken the the unit apart in the past. There is really nothing to getting at the motor yourself as far as I remember.

Take off the windshield.
Take off the two screws that hold the black piece of plastic that covers the windshield mechanism.
You will then have access to the motor which can be unbolted.

If mine start giving me trouble again, I think I'll try to redesign the thing using a regular screw and an easy to find electric motor. But I'm hoping I wont have to.

That sounds easy enough. Maybe I'll dig in there and have a look. Might want to replace that motor pre-emptively with a more robust one. I see there are quite a few used ones on eBay made for German and Japanese bikes.

In the "You ain't gonna believe this" department,
that motor retails for just shy of $700.00!
Strong aftermarket potential.
We have replaced 3 or 4 under warranty.

azccj,
I've had mine apart and I found that the screw just looks cheesy. What is wrong with putting a double start acme threaded screw in there. The wire screw in mine is bent and the plastic support for the top bearing doesn't give any support at all. It just wobbles around with the bent screw. Also all the plastic bearings in the arms are really sloppy so everytime I hit a bump the whole wind screen rattles around. They went to the trouble of using some nice linear guides for the nut to move up and down on so why did they cheap out on everything else. I think I'll rework the whole damn thing this winter. A more robust motor as Saint Nut said so that it goes up and down at speed ain't a bad idea either. Why would you make a wind screen that only will operate when your standing still ?
Bob

Maybe Seb could point us in the right direction for a more robust motor. He definitely understands the electrical stuff better than I.
Bob

If I was going to look for a cheap but strong motor replacement that is 12 volts, I would get one out of one of those small cigarette lighter powered air compressors they sell at Walmart for $12.00 or so. As for why Guzzi decided to go with the strange and apparently easily worn out screw that they did is a mystery to me. Surely a regular stainless screw of proper thickness would have been easier to make and more durable.

azccj,
Do you still have the old motor? Could you share any info that might be on it. I've been doing some searching and there are all sorts of mini 12v motors out there, espescially in the r/c hobby, lots of motors with high torque gear drives added on. It would be nice to know length of unit, motor dia., what the rpm is, spindle dia., etc.
Bob.

Thats what I was trying to avoid at this point. I've also been researching oilite bushings to replace the plastic pieces in the whole mechanism, again all sorts of little flanged bushings in the r/c hobby. So it seems I'll be taking mine apart also to get some sizes.
Bob

Back