• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Inner Spark Plugs

silvergoose

Tuned and Synch'ed
I have a question about the life of the spark plugs for my 2007 Norge in general and the "long life inner plugs"as a focal point of this question.
Plug life for the Norge is stated to be around 6250 while the innerplugs are twice as long. I understand that the innerplugs fire only during the exhast cycle, I assume to hel meet epa reqs. Is this so?
After only 6250 miles have plugs been so overburden by the combustion gasses that they are consummed?
what is the real world life for these plugs? Case in point my K1200 Lt gets a fresh set of plugs every 50,000 miles whith a clean and check every 20,000. Performance is still good,mileage is great and my costs per mile is less than the MG. Do Not get my wrong I like the Norge, but I just do not undrstand some of the maintence and operational problems that i read about here and other sites. I feel like I should ride it change oil and filter every 5000 miles and fix it if it breaks,

Hi silvergoose,
I think you will find that both plugs fire at the same time per cylinder as they are both connected to the same coil. The correct lead has to go the correct plug and consequently one of the leads has a marker on it -red marker to the external plug. I have a similar plug to the inner type in my car and they don't need to be changed for 100,000Kms, one reason they put them in is it is a V6 transverse engine and a major job to get to the rear 3 plugs against the firewall/bulkhead. The outer plug is in another vehicle and is recommended to be changed every 20,000Kms.
Cheers Kevin

Some times the dealers speak to people about things that may not be completly founded in truth. It did not seem possible for the inner plugs to fire on a different cycle as the main plugs, but the dealer was convinced and passed on the knowledge to me. Can you see any reason to change plugs at such short time intervals. I am sure that if car demanded such care it would not be a good seller.
I may be wrong and would be happy to listen to another view, but I will run the plugs for 20,000 miles, check and clean and replace @ 50,000.

Thanks for the input

Hi silvergoose,
I check and if necessary adj the plugs every 5000Kms or there abouts (0.6-0.7mm). I will replace the plug when the central electrode starts to get rounded in shape instead of flat and nice sharp edges or 20,000Kms. I always use a copper grease on the threads. The workshop manual doesnt give a replacement mileage for the inner plugs, all it says is adj every 20,000Kms.
Kevin

The plug change interval is, IMHO absolutely absurd. Similar plugs in cars have a 100,000Km service life. I see no reason at all to change 'em before 50,000 at the earliest. Buy a couple of spares and keep 'em on the shelf, (I'd suggest NOT buying them from Guzzi!) if fuel ecconomy or performance drop off radically then throw new ones in and see if it fixes it, (Probably won't!)

I WOULD suggest removing them and coating the threads with zinc-cote or some such high temp anti seize though as leabving 'em in for extended periods will make 'em hard to extract.

Pete

I found my inners were rusting externally at 20,000 km. They looked OK and I replaced them anyway. Only Managed to leave one of the inner leads off and had an intermittent miss for a while - Until I found it and put it back - no discernible difference in performance felt.

The environment under there is hostile so they need checking probably every 10k. As Pete says, some anti seize is a great idea!

I did my inner plugs at 20,000 miles. They looked fine when removed. I replaced them with new ones and used never seize on the threads. I have seen threads pulled out if the plugs stay in there to long, so it is a good idea to at least remove and clean them on a periodic basis. They are a pain in the ass to get at, great design.

I have the view that some of the maintenance specified in the manual is a little over the top. 6250 miles between oil changes I got no problem with, but changing out the outside plugs every oil change, changing out the fuel filter, inner plugs and air filter every 2 oil changes, and my favorite, replacing the fork seals and fork oil at 6250 miles then every 12500 there after, it all seems way more than what should be needed to keep these things running reliably for many miles. :S

My own maintenance schedule goes like this, 6250 for oil changes, 26000 miles for the air filter and inner plugs, 32250 miles for the fuel filer, once the original half plastic half metal one has been converted to an all metal one, and replace the fork seals when they start to leak.

azccj said:
My own maintenance schedule goes like this, 6250 for oil changes, 26000 miles for the air filter and inner plugs, 32250 miles for the fuel filer, once the original half plastic half metal one has been converted to an all metal one, and replace the fork seals when they start to leak.

At 20k miles I checked/changed inner plugs & air filter. Plugs looked ok, but air filter was really very dirty. so I'm going with specified air filter interval of 12.5k in the future. Where you live air may be more or less dirty/dusty than where I live (LA) & ride (all over the SW), so YMMV.

Replace the paper filter with a K & N re-useable (cleanable) filter P/N AL-1001 which according to the part Number probably fits an Aprilia I clean it every 10,000 mi also, I use NGK iriidium plugs (Outer BPR6EIX) inner is a double platinum plug (PMR8B) I guess they don't make an Iridium plug for the inner. I change them every 10,000 Mi I had to make my own plug socket to remove the inner plug as it is a very tight fit, I took a standard 16mm deep socket and turned it down on the lathe to 20.75mm O.D.

Last edited:
Back