• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Veglia-ITI Speedo Replacement Options

GTM®

Administrator
Staff member
GT di Razza Pura
Broken Speedo Options for your Guzzi

Don't want to replace your speedometer with another pricey poor quality unit? The white-faced Veglia's seem to be more reliable and are rebuildable by one of the many speedo repair shops in the U.S., such as Palo Alto Speedometer to the tune of ~$200+ USD. The ITI's are disposable for the most part.

If you'd rather replace with a higher quality unit, the easiest solution is to purchase a 3-1/8" AutoMeter electronic speedo (1487/black -OR- 1388/white) per below:

SpeedoInst-AMBlk.jpg

SpeedoInst-AMWh.jpg

along with an Acewell Speed Sensor Cable (ACE-S4 ~$10) from ElectroSport as shown below:

SpeedoInst-AceS4.jpg

Drop in, wire up, calibrate and go.

Other solution:

Thanks to M Khan below for his words and pictures for his soultion below using a VDO unit.

If you have a ITI, it's probably best to just replace, as they are driven by a nylon gear that is prone to low-mile failure, and is typically not easily repairable or replaceable:

MK-Speedogear.jpg

M Kahn chose a VDO "because of their superior workmanship and the beautifully simple dial. This dial has miles only and is instantly readable. It is good for a bike because it is sealed against moisture and even ozone." It's available in black (VDO 437151) or white (VDO 437201):

MK-VDOblk.jpg

MK-VDOwh.jpg

Installation:

Install is fairly simple. All you do is to uninstall the defective speedo and insert the new one. The original rubber ring which holds the old speedo will also hold the new one, and a small amount of lubricant (even water) is best for removal/reinstall of the new unit:

MK-VDOInst1.jpg

The original outer cover can be used on the VDO:

MK-VDOInst2.jpg

The cover screws cannot be re-used. You will need to purchase two (2) 12-20 bolts and matching lock nuts - do NOT over-tighten. The heads of the screws need to be filed in order for them to fit the groove of the VDO:

MK-VDOInst3.jpg

Electronic speedos require electronic signals. The VDO sender which costs ~$80 will not work. A GM/Mopar Speedometer Hall-Effect Sender -16-Pulse (as shown below) happens to fit and work. They can be found online and on eBay for ~$30.

MK-VDOSpeedo3.jpg

Remove the speedometer cable completely from the bike, and fit and tighten the GM sender to the transmission where the cable was removed:

MK-VDOSpeedo4.jpg

You will need to source and run wires to from there to the back of the speedometer. The connections are as shown HERE.

This is what it looks like when completed:

MK-VDOSpeedo.jpg

MK-VDOSpeedo2.jpg

The chrome ring can be re-used from the stock gauge and placed on with adhesive should you decide (MPH memory option showing):

MK-VDOInst6.jpg

The last step is to calibrate the VDO, and can be done in an Automatic or Manual setting with the included instructions.

Is the Acewell S-4 sensor a true fit to replace the original cable ?

Excellent tutorial, Thank you.

My Jackal's speedo has lost it's ODO function and the needle is bouncing, so I'll be looking to do this in the near future.

I wish I had known about that Acewell Speed Sensor Cable when I replaced mine.
I went with the white faced AutoMeter and have been very happy with it though I had to use a hall sensor triggered off the rear disc mounting bolts to run it.
That only gives 6 pulses per wheel revolution (which ain't much at all) so below 10MPH it's not much use but above that it works great.

Thanks for all the useful info.

johnk

Dave, for a few more $'s I'd send it to Palo Alto Speedo for refurbishing, they do a really nice job.

johnk, seems that they are unobtanium in the US right now as the US distributorship is non-existent. Anyone in any of THESE markets care to buy me a few to ship over?

I know this is a year old but I'm needed help with the VDO speedometer install. Any one done it? Trying to get the VDO to work with the acewell s4 sender. So far no luck.

greyk9 said:
I know this is a year old but I'm needed help with the VDO speedometer install. Any one done it? Trying to get the VDO to work with the acewell s4 sender. So far no luck.
Do tell... it's just not working? Did you try getting support from Acewell?

The VDO speedometer self test tries to calibrate but nothing. It's like no signal from the sensor. Bajadesigns is now the US dist. their tech department told me "we just sell them we don't really know much about it". It would be helpfull if they knew at least how to test it. Talked to VDO, nice guys, but I couldn't tell him what the output of the acewell is, so no help till I found out.

Hopefully someone might find this useful. I found that the VDO and the acewell adapter are not compatible. With that said here is my solution, since I preferred the VDO I ordered the GM hall effect generator, $20 on ebay. The previous speedometer mounting instructions work well, here is how I mounted the generator.
First I cut my old speedo cable and removed the 12 mm aluminum nut, cut about 4mm off the nut with a hacksaw. Next take a 3/8” SAE washer and counter sink the hole,the counter sink needs to be there so the washer doesn't interfere a rubber collar in the generator that needs to spin free. (see picture).
Take the nut center it on the washer and superglue it in place (counter sink away from nut)
Remove the rubber washer from the generator and center the washer/nut in the gen as shown.
Fill with your choice of liquid steel (follow the mixing and drying time instruction that come with the liquid steel)
You will need to grind about a 1/4" off of the steel battery plate. The air-box will interfere with the generator threading onto the transmission. So I took a heatgun and heated the corner of the air-box enough to push it in about 1/2". Last I needed to file the corners of the hex of the generator to clear the allen head cap bolt.
Wire-up, Calibrate, and enjoy a reliable speedometer.

Attachments

• photo 1aa.JPG
    photo 1aa.JPG
    59.5 KB · Views: 3,022
  • photo 2aa.JPG
    photo 2aa.JPG
    56.5 KB · Views: 3,020
  • photo 3.JPG
    photo 3.JPG
    59.4 KB · Views: 3,020
  • photo 4.JPG
    photo 4.JPG
    59.1 KB · Views: 3,021
  • photo 5aa.JPG
    photo 5aa.JPG
    128.3 KB · Views: 3,022
  • photo 22aa.JPG
    photo 22aa.JPG
    143.2 KB · Views: 3,021
greyk9 said:
Hopefully someone might find this useful. I found that the VDO and the acewell adapter are not compatible.

Thank you, I am a few days behind you on this particular quest.

greyk9 said:
With that said here is my solution, since I preferred the VDO I ordered the GM hall effect generator, $20 on ebay. The previous speedometer mounting instructions work well, here is how I mounted the generator.

Nice. I am temped to try to machine a thread adapter from the metric male on the transmission bushing to the SAE female on the GM sender. Looks like plenty of room, but could be tricky to machine.

I am working through this on my Ballabio. Biggest difference is the location of the speedo drive which is directly beneath the right hand throttle body. The GM speedo drive will interfere interfere with the throttle linkage and will require heroic measures. I will be documenting it here on V11Lemans.com

Hi,

Will the Acewell Speed Sensor Cable (ACE-S4 ) bolt up to the tranny on a 1998 EV with no modifications? I'm needing to do something with my failing white face Veglia and was considering the Auto Meter unit. Anyone done this mod on an EV and if so how did it go and how is it working at this point?

Any and all comments most appreciated, Brian

flowerking said:
Will the Acewell Speed Sensor Cable (ACE-S4 ) bolt up to the tranny on a 1998 EV with no modifications? I'm needing to do something with my failing white face Veglia and was considering the Auto Meter unit. Anyone done this mod on an EV and if so how did it go and how is it working at this point?

I can't say for sure, but the ACE-S4 bolted right up on my 2003 Stone with no modifications, but I wasn't able to get it working reliably with the Auto Meter speedo. Adding a 300Ohm pull down resistor got it to the point where I could calibrate the meter so the odometer worked, but the signal from the ACE-S4 was too noisy so the speedo needle bounced between 80-100 at pretty much any speed.

I wrote to both Auto Meter & Acewell trying to resolve this. Auto Meter was very helpful, and ultimately had me send the sensor & meter so they could test & try to get them working together. Unfortunately they had no better luck than I did. Acewell was less helpful, all they'd tell me about the sender was:

It works with acewell speedos that have a part number printed on the front which is underlined and acewell speedos which have no part number displayed.
It also works with speedos which have a sensor wire floating at 5v and detect a speed pulse when the voltage drops below 2.5v in a potential divider setup

I think that 5v bit is the problem, all of these automotive speedos are designed for 12v systems. I'm tired of screwing around with this and using the GPS for speedo/odo functions, so I've ordered a 16 pulse GM sender off ebay, and will be giving that a shot when it arrives.

Update: I'm at about 4000 miles since I posted my VDO/GM sensor install now and happy to report not a single glitch.

greyk9, what kind of bike is this mounted on?

I gotta do this conversion or try Palo Alto Speedometer because the trip odo on my 2000 Jackal is stuck and the speedo reading bounces all over the place, especially between 60 and 90.

ADVthanksANCE

-Jack

This install is done on a 2003 stone. I think this install should work on any bike that you can plastic weld the cable nut in to the sender. The nice thing about the GM sender is it will work with most aftermarket speedometers.

You should be able to do the gm sender mod to fit your bike. As far as the speedo you will need to measure your stock one. go through VDO or Autometer catalog to find a replacement. Good luck

A Sigma BC-1009 bicycle "computer" goes for around $30 on E-bay and is easy to install. I secured mine to the left handlebar in Summer, 2009 and only have had to replace a $3 battery late in 2012. It is very accurate and has more functions than I'll ever need. You can advance the overall mileage function to match what your deceased ITI junker read when it went south.

Ralph

I'm about to attempt the installation of a VDO speedo on my Jackal. The stock unit finally died after spending the last 15,000 miles bouncing wildly 10-15 MPH either side of what I was doing. Now it's stuck at 20 MPH all the time.

Does anyone have a part number for the GM/Mopar sending unit? I found reference to this modification on another post here;

wildguzzi.com/forum/index.php?topic=32355.0;wap2

From the description it really sounds like this is as simple as righty tighty, lefty loosey, with nothing special required. However, I saw a rather involved project here that shows how to adapt the sending unit to the bike. I would rather not have to do that...

So, part number? Anyone? :D

Thanks,

Marty

Back