• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Buying Advice

Epee

Just got it firing!
I am very close to buying a Stelvio, but...

I can do minor mechanical work. I am 100 miles from my MG dealer.

Is the 2009 Stelvio a good choice?

I also have the option of purchasing a Griso 8v. I love the look of those sexy Italian bikes, but reliability scares me.

I was planning on using either one for long distance riding.

My other choice is the DL1000, which ain't no looker to be sure, but does have the rep of being very reliable.

This is my first post so if I broke some rule, I humbly apologize and will disappear into obscurity. Spending this kind of cash on a bike is making me nervous.

I use to be a sport/dirt rider so this is not my first experience on bikes.

Thank you for your time and input, because responding does take time and thought and I am appreciative of both.

09 Stelvio uses exactly the same engine and transmission as the Griso, the A5 motor. Both are good machines. If the Griso is an 08 model check it has the 'Technical update' performed on the cams and tappets before purchase.

Only thing that lets them both down is fuel capacity, they are both fairly thirsty and have smallish tanks. The upside is that unlike the DL you won't look like a Hungarian root vegetable salesman when you're riding them!

My 8VG is just comming up to 40,000Km and has been essentially faultless. I like it so much I bought another one for my trips to the USA. As long as they are set up right from the get-go they are no more reliable or unreliable than any other motorbike on the market.

pete

Pete;
I own a Stelvio and a VStrom D1000, they both have their strong points and both have loads of character too, but I never knew I looked like a "Hungarian root vegetable salesman" when riding the Vstrom.
Could you please post a picture of such a person?

20090203-joeades.jpg

dave_winsberg_small.jpg

there y'go! Yes. You look infinitely worse on a V-strom because everyone knows they are a 'sensible' motorbike! :roll: :sick:

Pete

Epee, what Pete roper says is bang on. I bought my 09 Stelvio new 13 months and 5000 miles ago. I've no regrets, it's a great bike, it has been reliable apart from a failed speedo sensor (replaced under warranty) The bike has a character and feel to it that is lacking in most modern bikes and particularly Japanese ones.
Routine maintenance should not be a problem, all fluids and filters are easily accessible, as are spark plugs and tappets. The only thing I cannot do is throttle body balance/set up as a dianostic tool is required. I wouldn't bother going to a dealer unless I needed the bike plugging into the diagnostic computer for throttle body balance check etc.

Epee,
If you would consider a slightly used 09 Stelvio please check the classified section. I have a beautiful one with lots of extras that I'll make you a great deal on. Love this bike but it,s just too tall for my 29" inseam and arthritic hips.
Steve
scmurdock@uninets.net

Steve,

Thanks for the offer, but you and I could not be any further apart on this continent.

Everyone:

My next question, because I want to get this right for the amount of money I'm spending:

Will the NTX be available in the US anytime soon? I know the ABS version is available.

For those of you who have both the Griso and Stelvio, which one if you had to give one up, would you keep?

Thanks for your time ladies and gentlemen.

Epee, the brand manager told me about a month ago that the NTX was not coming in... that said, stranger things have happened.

Between the two, depends on what you do most with the bike will decide your fortune. You a local rider, or do you like to go places? Griso former, Stelvio latter.

Thanks for the quick response GT-Rx.

Primarily a long commute of about 160 mile round trip, from below sea level in the desert to 6000 foot elevation.

In the summer the temperatures are well above 110 degrees.

Epee,

I just put 50K on a VStrom. Great bike, but cant hold a candle to my Stelvio for comfort, fun, character, etc. I always thought it a bit homely, but I'm not overly enamored with the Stelvios looks either. I really wanted the Griso, still do. One of the sexiest bikes I've ever seen. Some day I'll have one. A salesman in El Cajon convinced me to look at the Stelvio, and gave me a test ride. I knew within a mile that I had to have one. I've never felt so comfortable so quickly on a new bike. I tend to do my own maintenance, and live far from the nearest dealer. Unless I experience a catastrophic failure, it'll likely never see a dealers shop while I own it. I can't say the first 6000 mi have been completely trouble free, but the only problems are traceable to poor setup and questionable quality control. I think it's mostly worked out now, due largely to the help I find here.

My commute is 125 mi round trip. Not sure I'd want to go much further on one tank, but I've never run it dry to find the limit.

kmartin,

Probably the same El Cajon dealership I'm dealing with. It's not like there is a TON of MG dealerships in El Cajon... ;)

Yep I'm torn between all 3 bikes, with the nod going to the Griso just because of the way it looks. But long commutes in weather from freezing cold to hellish hot, just makes me think the Stelvio or Vstrom would be the better choice.

I can work on a bike as long as I have detailed instructions, but to be honest, it's not my forte. I am not a gifted mechanic like some here on this board. I can twist a bolt off faster, than Carter has liver pills. My buddy who is a mechanic type won't let me near a ratchet. I have no sense of how tight something should be. :huh:

BTW which one handles better on the road? The Stelvio or Griso? For those of you who have experience with both bikes.

Thanks for responding.

Epee, I've been riding Guzzi's for years and currently have an 1100 Breva, I'm after a Stelvio too.
I think they are great bikes, and the NTX is the one for me! ;)

Thanks LondonRob,

According to those in the know, the NTX won't be available here in the US. The abs 2010 is available, but I am not sure if it comes with the "right" rear wheel size. See I told you guys I'm not a mecha-neck. That's what my buddy calls me when it comes to working on things. I probably should have used that name instead of Epee, but I use to fence so I thought it was appropriate.

You guys are great and I truly appreciate the kindness you have shown a noob.

The only remaining "problem" with my Stelvio, in my opinion, it the wide rear wheel. Really limits the tire choices. I love the bike, probably the best ride I've ever had, but I'm still Jones'n for the Griso. Let us know what you decide, Epee.

I am on my 2nd DL1000 Vstrom. The first one sold to a guy just had to have as he liked my Yellow farkled setup. I find it the best all round bike I have owned in 37 years of riding regardless of brand. I think while it is no beauty contest winner is no more or less attractive looking then the Stelvio is in person. Compromises on both sides. I just had to do a valve adjustment on the Vstrom and that was a days work with shim under buckets and it is simple chain drive. Stone Reliable and a cheap date. Many stromers are seeing 100K mileage with only standard maintenance. I've done 45K with no warranty issues and only standard maintenance.

I have recently purchased a 07 Norge and while I love it, It is better and not as good in some areas compared to how "Tony" does things at the factory. If I want to raise the idle on my FI vstrom I just
reach over and turn the provided screw. No Stepper motor to content with like on the MG. Easy Valves though with the MG.

I get alot of pleasure just looking at them side by side in my garage.

Both have pro and con issues.. Ride both and see which one talks to you! Then you will know.

kmartin said:
The only remaining "problem" with my Stelvio, in my opinion, it the wide rear wheel. Really limits the tire choices. I love the bike, probably the best ride I've ever had, but I'm still Jones'n for the Griso. Let us know what you decide, Epee.

Dealer in the UK sent me a complete rear wheel assembly for a NTX, $874.00 USD, took 4 1/2 months to get it though. I'm waiting to wear out my Michelin Pilot Road 2 before purchasing the Tourances though, 3K on the Michelins and still have plenty of tread on the rear.

Ah, so you did finally get it, eh Kurt?

GT-Rx said:
Ah, so you did finally get it, eh Kurt?

Yup, got it the day my Michelin arrived. Right now it is sitting in my garage waiting for the Michelin to wear out. Got to love Mother Guzzi though, you order a complete wheel assembly, less rotors and it doesn't even come with a valve core and cap for the stem. They nickel and dime you to death. You would think in 4 1/2 months they could have found the damn core and cap :lol:

BTW, I got the VDST to finally talk to the ECU yesterday afternoon. Not sure what I did differently, but I guess I finally found "com port 4", though I tried all of the USB slots the night before while the bugs were attacking. Maybe the Long Island Ice Tea at 34 degrees made the difference............. :blink:

Now I just need to figure out the "ins / outs" of this software. Is there an extensive manual (operators guide) for this software, or is it hunt / peck and pray?

kwn306 said:
BTW, I got the VDST to finally talk to the ECU yesterday afternoon. Maybe the Long Island Ice Tea at 34 degrees made the difference............. :blink:
Now I just need to figure out the "ins / outs" of this software. Is there an extensive manual (operators guide) for this software, or is it hunt / peck and pray?
Well that'll do it. The only Manual available is under this THREAD. TR has used it to put together the how-to for their guide.

Epee said:
BTW which one handles better on the road? The Stelvio or Griso? For those of you who have experience with both bikes.
They are equally great, just depends on what you will be doing with the bike in the long run... as I think I mentioned, the Griso is great for canyon romps and profiling. The Stelvio is great in the canyons, but can take you great distances in comfort.

Just my 5 cents worth:

I've ridden 11000+km on my 09 Stelvio NTX since last September when I bought it new, I've not had any problems with it which is more than I can say for the 3 new BMWs I purchased before it, all of which were back in the shop for various problems within the first 3 months.

Apart from the small tank (and the colour :sick: ) I can't fault it as an all day riding/touring bike, both for scratching through the mountains or with a pillion on the highways.

PS: I think the Griso would be better for having sex on, but apart from that I'd take the Stelvio everytime. ;)

Back